Dog Runs?

3Woofs

Has anyone made dog runs out of temporary fencing panels?

I'm just looking into whether it will be cheaper than buying a run.

Also, is the mesh thick enough not to be chewed through?

I'm talking about the galvanized welded mesh, not the chain mesh type.

Roll top Mesh is very good for making temporary areas for dogs. Not cheap but very sturdy, comes in a range of heights, very decent thickness. You only need upright poles then attatch the mesh to that.

Available from Ag type plases I would think.

I made a run using star pickets and running two lenghts of wire through the holes then attached Dog fencing wire from Bunnings. My biggest worry was if he was a digger, and digging underneath and getting out - I just tent pegged the bottom down all the way.

He hasn't got close to getting out, I also think I'm quite lucky in that he is a very visual dog, if he can see a boundary or enclosure he wont test it at all. very lucky with that.

The cost was quite low but probably not as asthetically pleasing to look at.

thanks.

I'll find out if the roll top mesh comes in pieces high enough... it needs to be 1.8 min. and even then I'll need a roof to contain houdini stafford! That dog jumps 6ft from a sit!!!! :cheer:

My dogs laugh at the dog wire.... takes them about 20 seconds to either bust/squeeze/chew their way through.

I've got a 3x3 shed which I'd like to split down the middle for sleeping areas and then a 3 x3 area in front of the shed which will need to be fenced to make a double run. It's already concreted so that's one less cost to think about.

thanks.

I'll find out if the roll top mesh comes in pieces high enough... it needs to be 1.8 min. and even then I'll need a roof to contain houdini stafford! That dog jumps 6ft from a sit!!!! :cheer:

My dogs laugh at the dog wire.... takes them about 20 seconds to either bust/squeeze/chew their way through.

I've got a 3x3 shed which I'd like to split down the middle for sleeping areas and then a 3 x3 area in front of the shed which will need to be fenced to make a double run. It's already concreted so that's one less cost to think about.

If your dogs are escape artists then don't muck around, just buy what you need to keep them in right from the start. Once they figure out a way out they will keep trying.

The temp fence panels look ok, but go for the strong weld mesh if the dogs have already proven they will attempt to escape.

I got my runs from Ebay and my boy tried to go over the top once so had to block the top off with the kids old trampoline mat - that fixed him.

eta: get a fencing contractor to give you a quote on the job - you may be surprised - or not - at the cost for what you want done.

Edited by Andisa

They won't be able to bust out of roll top mesh, it is used to contain livestock and is very strong, much stronger than any type of fencing wire or chain mesh. You would be able to buy some for the top as well or maybe use a piece of chainmesh for the roof unless theya re likely to chew through it at roof height??

Cant remember the heights though.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I called around a few places and have decided to get the double door panel from col western sheds.

We're then buying weld mesh sheets and my hubby will make a frame and a divider for the shed.

The weld mesh is really nice and thick..... and I found it for only $20.00 a sheet :)

We'll use the same mesh for a roof.