Gel Cooling Pads..

Beth.

These are on sale at catchoftheday - they look ok, and would maybe be nice in Lots crate (ontop of another mat maybe?) for when out training etc as she really feels the heat - has anyone here tried something like these. By the looks, these ones you don't wet, but just pop in the crate as is...

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_...oducts_id=18884

I've thought about getting Kyojin one for his crate. My dog trainers posted them on facebook when they were on COTD a couple of weeks ago recommending them.

They look like they might help cool them a little bit.

I got one of these a few weeks ago when they were last on special.

They are quite heavy and less then 1cm thick.

I laid my arm on it, it got cooler. This was maybe a 25 degree day and my arm was cooler then the rest of my body.

I have not tried it out on the dogs yet.

Quite few of us in the Territory use different versions of these, the ones I use have a foam insert and you fill them with water. They all seem effective in keeping the dogs cooler, but probably not as effective as the Silver Eagle cool mats (the wet ones) but you don't end up with a soggy dog. We use ours in the trailer as well as crates. With the gel ones I wouldn't recommend them for puppies or any dog that likes to chew things, I'm sure the gel isn't harmful but just the thought of the goop getting in a dogs coat makes me think twice.

Graham

These are on sale at catchoftheday - they look ok, and would maybe be nice in Lots crate (ontop of another mat maybe?) for when out training etc as she really feels the heat - has anyone here tried something like these. By the looks, these ones you don't wet, but just pop in the crate as is...

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfish_...oducts_id=18884

I have the sort called, I think, Polar Pads.

Gel filled but with a quilted effect so the gel stays evenly distributed. Dry, they are thin and you can feel the gel beads, wet the beads fill and swell. The mats stay cool to lie on. They should only take up 1/3 to a 1/2 of a crate floor so the dog can move on or off them as they feel hot or not.

My dogs get them in their x pen at shows in hot weather and it's noticable how they actively use them. They move onto them as the day heats up, first their heads, then as the day gets hotter their whole body, then off again if it cools off etc. The mats are still as cool to the touch at the end of the day as at the start.

I find mine great. Not sure those posted would be as effective, depends on the gel used I think.

Edited by Diva