Klee Kai In Aus

beau7

The dogs are registered in UKC.

I am not judging her ethics, you seem to be doing enough of that for both of us.

I think it just ticks off ANKC breeders she can sell her pups for 3000.00. LOL

BTW I have spent more than 3000 on a dog (not registered in ANKC), and would do it again in heart beat if I could.

So what.

Wow.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe before accusing her, you shoul email her and ask her what exatly whtat the heck she is doing.

Tell her you want to know as you are discussing her motives for importing these dogs and selling the 4 male pups on a public chat group and want to get the facts.

How do you know I haven't done that? Sorry shortstep, but selling unregistered pups for $3000 is ludicrous. Saying in the media that you will be breeding your bitch every 12 months is unethical. Do you not agree?

Actually the website says they are priced at $4000 each, and she will be breeding her bitch "once or twice" a year.

Taken from website:

How much does a puppy cost?

A puppy from Southern Cross Klee Kai will cost approximately $AU4000. The price will be set on a per dog basis.. The price is reflective of the extremely rare breed of dog, of which we are the only breeder in Australia, and the only known breeder in the Southern Hemisphere.

To me, that says "We are the only breeded in Aus so can charge what we want."

Actually the website says they are priced at $4000 each, and she will be breeding her bitch "once or twice" a year.

Taken from website:

How much does a puppy cost?

A puppy from Southern Cross Klee Kai will cost approximately $AU4000. The price will be set on a per dog basis.. The price is reflective of the extremely rare breed of dog, of which we are the only breeder in Australia, and the only known breeder in the Southern Hemisphere.

To me, that says "We are the only breeded in Aus so can charge what we want."

So tell me, what do you charge for a Berner or Saints for?

Do you charge what you want for your pups?

Or is the price of your pups controlled by ANKC or are you a member of The Organization of Ethical Dog Pricing?

I don't like it how she advertises them as miniature huskies on her website. It has a bit of a designer dog ring to me.

All dog breeds are designer breeds, you just were not there trying to smack them down at the time the breed was being developed.

I'm not trying to smack the "breed" down, but I am against poor breeding, which designer dogs generally have.

What health tests is she doing?

If she really is in it to promote the breed, why advertise is as a mini husky?

I don't really see how a mini husky would make a particularly "ideal companion" (as stated on her website). Huskies, miniature or not are often best placed in experienced homes that can provide them with work of some sort. Huskies are working dogs that quite often end up in pounds, due to people buying them as companions and not being aware of their high exercise and training requirements.

btw she does have a spay/neuter contract and a reasonable application form, so perhaps she is trying to do the right thing

I don't breed.

Should I not have an opinion then?

No you can certainly have an opinion and in fact we can see that you do.

So how much did you pay for your Berner and Saint?

We can work out a real cost comparison.

Price x yrs life of dog x vet bills x food.

Might be her little dog is a real bargin.

I don't like it how she advertises them as miniature huskies on her website. It has a bit of a designer dog ring to me.

All dog breeds are designer breeds, you just were not there trying to smack them down at the time the breed was being developed.

I'm not trying to smack the "breed" down, but I am against poor breeding, which designer dogs generally have.

I don't really see how a mini husky would make a particularly "ideal companion" (as stated on her website). Huskies, miniature or not are often best placed in experienced homes that can provide them with work of some sort. Huskies are working dogs that quite often end up in pounds, due to people buying them as companions and not being aware of their high exercise and training requirements.

btw she does have a spay/neuter contract and a reasonable application form, so perhaps she is trying to do the right thing

why don't you email her and ask her about the health testing? But first you might like to find out exactly what health tests are recommended for the breed.

Just doing acquick bit of reading, it seems to be more of a recently developed breed rather than a designer breed. It seems the woman who originated the breed had a clear idea of what she was after and set out to develop it, rather than indiscriminate crosses that make up designer breeds.

I wonder if the bush telegraph was running hot 150 years ago when some bloke started crossing dingoes, collies, Dalmatians, kelpies etc to develop a particular type of herding dog?

The breeder in the US probably isn't entirely ethical either, knowing they were to be shipped to a country with no hope of recognition.

And surely must have known the importer's intention to sell them all for a quick buck.

ETA - Actually the breeder is probably doing everyone a favour by selling all the pups... no chance of a brother/sister, father/daughter or mother/son mating....

She is also selling them entire......mmm how long till Klee Kai crosses are being sold? Give it a year and the puppy buyers may try to recoup the ridiculous cost of their first dog.

wow lots of snooty assumptions abound in this thread! :hug:

I would guess this gal just really likes these little dogs ( you know the way you like your breed) and it never occurred to her that she had to live up to your expectations nor does she likely know anything about the DOL inquest taking place.

I would call her up and interview her about all of your questions, gather all the answer to all these things you are suspecting her of. Then come back and make a full report for everyone in Australia to read and comment on. Please make sure you detail all of dog breeding her values. Please also compare and contrast theses with your values. Then everything will leave the arena of nasty gossip and you can delve into legal arena of character assignation.

BTW, this gal might have some money to throw around, might be something consider.

I would guess this gal just really likes these little dogs ( you know the way you like your breed) and it never occurred to her that she had to live up to your expectations nor does she likely know anything about the DOL inquest taking place.

I would call her up and interview her about all of your questions, gather all the answer to all these things you are suspecting her of. Then come back and make a full report for everyone in Australia to read and comment on. Please make sure you detail all of dog breeding her values. Please also compare and contrast theses with your values. Then everything will leave the arena of nasty gossip and you can delve into legal arena of character assignation.

BTW, this gal might have some money to throw around, might be something consider.

:hug:

whatever....

Maybe before accusing her, you shoul email her and ask her what exatly whtat the heck she is doing.

Tell her you want to know as you are discussing her motives for importing these dogs and selling the 4 male pups on a public chat group and want to get the facts.

How do you know I haven't done that?

Exactly. Shortstep, we've actually known these dogs are here since August or September last year. It came up in both the Spitz breed thread and the Sibe thread when they were still in quarantine. I believe there are a few people who have actually spoken to her via email.

The breeder in the US probably isn't entirely ethical either, knowing they were to be shipped to a country with no hope of recognition.

And surely must have known the importer's intention to sell them all for a quick buck.

ETA - Actually the breeder is probably doing everyone a favour by selling all the pups... no chance of a brother/sister, father/daughter or mother/son mating....

She is also selling them entire......mmm how long till Klee Kai crosses are being sold? Give it a year and the puppy buyers may try to recoup the ridiculous cost of their first dog.

wow lots of snooty assumptions abound in this thread! :hug:

I'm inclined to agree. If someone saw a breed (in development or not) they liked, did the hard yards to import a couple and sells pups to willing buyers for $$$$ I can't find anything objectionable in that.

They're not compelled to seek ANKC recognition or become a member. :) They're certainly not compelled to become any kind of breed founder for others.

Edited by poodlefan

What's the point, they won't be recognised here until they are recognised in the country of origin.

They are already recognized in their country of origin, they are registered in UKC.

BTW not everyone wants an ANKC registred dog, big surprise but it is true.

The point is she wants the dog.

Edited by shortstep