Puppy Bitch Only Eats Chicken, Needs To Put On Weight!

Cavalblaze

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. 8 months old. My own bred pup which i hope to run on.

Always been a bit deligate eater but she is getting worst.

She is going through a growth spurt but the problem is she watches her food but doesn't eat much, if any. Feed separately away from the others so I know what's going in or not.

Currently leaving out Royal Canine kibble for her during the daytime which is rarely touch and usually gets tossed to the chooks.

Evening meals is i try and encourage fresh human grade mince from the butchers mix with egg and cheese and veg but she turns her nose up at it.

All i can get her to eat is chicken and toast with a bit of butter and cheese. Not much of a diet, and she is skinny.

Tried vegiemite, sardines, food suppliments, can food, puppy loaf, nutrigel but she still isn't interested.

Worming is up to date, vet given her the all clear health wise except they agree she is thin along with the few breeders who have seen her too.

Any other suggestions to try?

Chicken is fine :rofl: Just make sure it is stuff like thighs/wings/frames ..with all that nice soft bone/skin/fat .Perhaps also make patties ..with chicken mince and finely grated veg/moulded with egg , and fried just for a minute or two to get a smell happening?

Don't leave food out.. or fuss.Once she has NO choices.. and starts eating...then GRADUALLY introduce other things she needs, like red meat for iron..and offal etc....

put her where she is fed.. place her food there.. come back after 15 minutes, and let her out . Clean up what's left..then feed her again next morning ,or whenever.NO treats.

perhaps also put this where more can answer.. in the health/Nutrition forum?

Edited by persephone

I have a fussy eater. Problem solved when I took his food away the minute he walked away from it and he didn't get a meal until it was offfered next meal time. A few days without food and they soon learn to eat when you want them too.

I also found that putting them where they can see the other dogs (but not be bothered by them) can help.

I also found that putting them where they can see the other dogs (but not be bothered by them) can help.

This was going to be my suggestion too. Having others hovering around might instill a bit of competition into her, and she may want to eat it so the others can't get to it.

This was going to be my suggestion too. Having others hovering around might instill a bit of competition into her, and she may want to eat it so the others can't get to it.

of course it has to be done with care. My fussy boy eats in front of the glass door where he can see my other boy. The last thing you want is food aggression issues because they are under threat.

Did the vet check tonsils??

Bowen treatment can help stimulate appetite in some dogs (not all)

Are the lines known for good eaters??

Has she had a season yet???

I agree with others stood pandering to here,to be honest at present she better off eating what she likes & finishing it than learning to oturn her nose up at food & win the battle.

Fussy eaters tend not to do well with alot of change

Does she like being hand feed??Maybe grab one of the other dogs who is food driven & try & encourage some competition eating when feed from hand .

Turn it into a training session where she is being rewarded with food.

Thanks for the replies will put them to practise tomorrow.

She is a bit of a sooky girl, but what cavalier isn't. She has had her first season, no swelling though but i was aware by the discharge.

Tonsils were not checked so that might be something to look at.

She does like to be hand fed but i rather not go down that path and think she is going to get that every feed time. Only 2 dogs, mother and daughter kepted in my home. Her mum is a guts and will eat anything hence why i separate them.

I've always followed the saying if they are hungry enough they'll eat it, but in her case i don't want her condition to get any worst. Her coat is shiney and every other developmental achievement has been meet but i would like to see 1/2 to 1 kilo more on that skinny body of hers.

Back to chicken for a little while till i can get her to her ideal target.

Again thanks for your feedback, just what i needed.

I find rather than seperate at feed times feed together to encourage her to eat before her mother gets it...supervised of course. I find this happens when at 8 weeks the siblings go and I am left with single puppies that dont have to compete with others for their tea.