Canned Food

mushka

I can conclude that NG has more meat than rice as they actually list the percentage of meat - 70%.

70% when added, or in the final product, and is it 70% by weight or by volume? Manufacturers can be a bit sneaky.

I feed my boys raw and natural because my feeling is that's what dogs were intended to eat. They are thriving on this method of feeding including gaining many benefits too. Smaller poops, clean teeth and sweet smelling breath not to mention gas. One of the other big factors in steering away from canned and dried foods is the fact they are highly processed. I wouldn't like to be fed processed foods day in and day out and I am sure you don't eat out a can every night.

Exactly my thoughts twodoggies2001 :) Tinned food is takeway for dogs. Dogs are not 'designed' to eat cooked food. As you said breath and overall body smell is so much sweeter . My Lab is thriving on Raw meat & bones, Fish, Fruit, Vegies & natural yoghurt.

I feed my boys raw and natural because my feeling is that's what dogs were intended to eat. They are thriving on this method of feeding including gaining many benefits too. Smaller poops, clean teeth and sweet smelling breath not to mention gas. One of the other big factors in steering away from canned and dried foods is the fact they are highly processed. I wouldn't like to be fed processed foods day in and day out and I am sure you don't eat out a can every night.

Exactly my thoughts twodoggies2001 :laugh: Tinned food is takeway for dogs. Dogs are not 'designed' to eat cooked food. As you said breath and overall body smell is so much sweeter . My Lab is thriving on Raw meat & bones, Fish, Fruit, Vegies & natural yoghurt.

Again, no one is advocating feeding tinned food as a sole source of nutrition.

We eat lots of things we shouldn't too, maybe someone would like to start a thread on the crap that owners eat.

Exactly my thoughts twodoggies2001 :laugh: Tinned food is takeway for dogs. Dogs are not 'designed' to eat cooked food. As you said breath and overall body smell is so much sweeter . My Lab is thriving on Raw meat & bones, Fish, Fruit, Vegies & natural yoghurt.

Again, no one is advocating feeding tinned food as a sole source of nutrition.

We eat lots of things we shouldn't too, maybe someone would like to start a thread on the crap that owners eat.

The OP asked a question about canned food and why some of us are against feeding in this way, and not mentioning in that post that she also feeds raw. We gave our opinions according to that post and you are welcome to start a thread on the crap most, not all of us owners eat.

Always read the label to find out what is in the can.

You wouldn't expect a can of tuna to contain beans, and so you would not expect a can of NG to contain Chum. Different products.

Can is just the packaging, and is really no indication of what may be inside.

Keep that in mind before you open a can for your own dinner tonight.

At the outset, I declare I'm completely biased against most sorts of commercial dog food except for barf patties and Jo's mixture which I trust and where there are special reasons and where there is evidence it helps special conditions or recovering dogs. My old dementing boy is on a cup a day of high antioxidant dry food and the balance in raw. But until that change recently, I saved myself a heap of money by feeding raw human grade only, with the exception of those trusted raw foods above. Can't believe how expensive the dry food for him is! Read the ingredients on the labels of most dog foods ( :happydance: ), work it out on a per kilo basis, value for money and quality of the ingredients and except for special reasons under independent vet advice, its human grade only for me and us! It only takes a little thought and planning and you can save a heap and give them a very good quality diet IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :happydance:

Edited by westiemum

I keep Ziwi Peak canned food for my dogs for those days when I run out of barf. I have found it pretty good and the ingredients look good as well.

This is what their website says about Ziwi Peak canned food:

ZiwiPeak ingredients are ranch-raised (free of antibiotics and hormones) on New Zealand's green fields and fished from its clear blue waters. Only ingredients 'passed fit for human consumption' make the grade. With no colours, preservatives, fillers or grains.
Edited by Odin-Genie