Tell Me About Chi's

HugUrPup

There is a blind female chi needing a forever home. Before I offer her one I would like to know more about the breed.

Are they aggressive? Do they shed? Has anyone ever looked after a blind dog and if so what are some of the trials we may be facing?

My children are older so wouldn't harm a delicate dog, but I wonder how a blind dog would be around people. Would she be frightened all of the time and snappy because of her disability?

I'm sure the owners are having issues with her which is why they are giving her away, but I doubt they will want to be 100% truthful about it.

I want to make sure she is looked after though so need to cover all bases.

If she is unsuitable is there a Chi rescue group in Vic that may take her on?

Blind dogs can be snappy because they are frightened but you are sensible and don't grab them suddenly, rearrange furniture, leave things in the way etc etc. I have had a blind dog that I taught to get out of a dog door that I put lavender oil on and she smelt her way in and out ! Read it on the web. I also managed to rehome her - wasn't expecting to.

I wonder if perhaps they will let me foster her for a while to see if she fits in here and if not then I can take her to a rescue group.

She's been looking for a home for a few weeks so I am not sure how long they are willing to keep looking for.

It's so sad when disabled dogs aren't wanted :grouphug:

Nigh impossible to rehome a dog with any issues but blindness and deafness would be very unpopular. My mother adopted a 3 legged lurcher in the UK recently, she said he's perfectly normal and tells that to everyone that stops her to tell her what a marvellous person she is. She and I both wish people wouldn't be so silly ....

I would be hesitant to foster her and then move her on again. A blind dog needs time to get its bearings in a new home so ideally it should go from one home to the next with no homes in between. Blind dogs cope very very well (they use their noses to navigate) but it will take time for her to learn how to get outside, where to toilet, etc.

I would be hesitant to foster her and then move her on again. A blind dog needs time to get its bearings in a new home so ideally it should go from one home to the next with no homes in between. Blind dogs cope very very well (they use their noses to navigate) but it will take time for her to learn how to get outside, where to toilet, etc.

I am worried about what they will do with her if they don't find her a home and how long they are willing to keep trying for.

My Father's new neighbours have recently moved in next door a middle age couple with 3 kids who are young they also brought their old blind and practically all deaf J/R.

Kenny is so sweet and doesn't really know he is blind he doesn really well on vibrations and smells haha he wonders back and forth from its home around dinnner and breakie then travels to my dads to spend all day there sleeping in the sun in the cat's bed outside, has a few run in with the deck chairs but copes really well travels along the foot path back to it's home, and manages to do this everyday and has only been there for a month in the new surroundings, my dad doesn't mind nor do the neighbours as they are full time workers building their house and my father enjoys the company, as he is home alot and treats it like his own.

so there is hope that it will cope

They do shed but nothing compared with some other breeds and they are not nearly as fragile as some people think and are quiet bright little dogs that learn quickly. I had Chihuahuas with two small children from the time the kids were 2 and 4 and never had any issues. If you have young children it is best to have some rules in place regarding small dogs, ie that they are not allowed to pick the dog up and can only have the dog on their lap if they are sitting on the ground, might also have to have a few extra ones when dealing with a blind dog. I have a friend with a blind dog who has been blind all of his life and he copes very well. He is about 2 now and although she has several dogs he is her special boy and has a wonderful personality although he does only live with adults and is shy of strangers. Being blind has never stopped him getting into doggy mischief either. One thing that you may find is that the dog barks more than usual, partially because they can't see what is making the noise they hear but also because some blind dogs use the barking abit like echo location in dolphins to suss out their surroundings. There are several books available on living with blind dogs and I am sure there would be info on the internet too which would be worth reading through before you make a decision. Dogs also have an advantage over blind humans in that they have their strong sense of smell and also their whiskers to aid them in getting around. Adjustments to a new household may take a little longer than a sighted dog and I would let it get use to the smell of other pets before gently introducing them once the dog has settled in abit so that it is less threatening.

I agree with ozjen my chi is short haired he doesn't shed much at all, some can be snappy a lot of it is associated with their size and the way people approach them. Many people will bend down and pat their heads from above and it's pretty confronting for a little dog, similarly the first instinct for a lot of kids is to pick up the dog and that can be very stressful too. As long as you go into it with your eyes wide open and are able to manage all the issues you should be fine.