Airline Approved Cage

bayard

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend the best airline cage/crate for a domestic flight from brisbane to perth. I am wanting a quality one that will last me a long time, as i will use it at home. It is for a cocker spaniel puppy, size recommendations as well please,

Oh and best place to purchase!

Edited by bayard

I just get my PP40s from airline companies. I think last time I checked Virgin Blue was the cheapest. (You can also try Australian Air Express, Jet Pets, and Dogtainers for crate costs.)

I think a PP40 would be okay size for a cocker, but I'll let a cocker-person answer that!

I thought this may assist you!

Crate Dimensions & Prices:

PP10 33 x 33 x 48.5 cm $33.00*

PP20 37 x 37 x 52 cm $44.00*

PP30 43 x 45 x 62 cm $49.50*

PP40 44 x 53 x 73 cm $55.00*

PP50 56 x 60 x 82 cm $88.00*

Photo of PP50 size crate.

post-9391-1301191787_thumb.jpg

Edited by wayrod

Hi

The lasting quality of most crates available is very good if kept inside and out of the sun/weather. The size would be more important for a cocker, a PP20 is big enough for a puppy to travel but it will soon grow out of it. A PP40 should fit them for life, whilst there is not much differnce to price of each size there is a hige difference in the transportation costs if the puppy is going as cargo (not accompanied). The airlines calculate cargo in cubic meters, the PP20 cubes out to 8kg and the PP40 cubes out to 20.

If the puppy is going as cargo it maybe cheaper to hire a PP20 for the flight and buy your own PP40 for use at home.

Be careful when purchasing a crate now as AaE has changed their rules. The crates must be secured all round with bolts, the plastic clips are no longer acceptable. Some craste only have bolts on the 4 corners and clip around the rest, this too is no longer acceptable.

Jetpets had a deal going, $140 for a PP20 between any capital cities including crate hire. I have had my own AaE account for 15 years and I could not come close to this price.

Graham

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend the best airline cage/crate for a domestic flight from brisbane to perth. I am wanting a quality one that will last me a long time, as i will use it at home. It is for a cocker spaniel puppy, size recommendations as well please,

Oh and best place to purchase!

Personally i would hire a crate & then buy a crate in Perth that will best suit it as an adult.

I would think as an adult & comfort wise i would go PP50 size as an adult but it depends if you want to have a solid crate or fold up ??

Fold up will give you options to take it with you easier ,solid is more harder to accommodate..

I saw the PP50 the other day & there a good new size just wish they would invent a crate the was the next size up from the sky 500 but under the giant size

The lasting quality of most crates available is very good if kept inside and out of the sun/weather. The size would be more important for a cocker, a PP20 is big enough for a puppy to travel but it will soon grow out of it. A PP40 should fit them for life, whilst there is not much differnce to price of each size there is a hige difference in the transportation costs if the puppy is going as cargo (not accompanied). The airlines calculate cargo in cubic meters, the PP20 cubes out to 8kg and the PP40 cubes out to 20.

Virgin Blue calculate by actual weight whilst Qantas/AaE calculate by cubic vs actual and which ever is the greater is what they charge. Also many breeds of puppies may require a larger crate than a PP20 to meet the new airline requirements.

Edited by wayrod

I use a Clipper 6 for my Aussie and have purchased a Clipper 5 (smaller) for my Kelpie. Kelpie is growing like a weed so will probably sell the clipper 5 and get a 6 for him. I got mine from a wholesaler but Better Pets and Gardens have them as do City Farmers.