Pet Friendly Accomm Needed Route From Sydney To Adelaide

MadWoofter

I'm going to be driving from Sydney to Adelaide around Easter, and am looking for pet friendly places I can stay on the way.

First stop will ideally be Narrandera but I'm OK with anywhere from Wagga to Hay

Second stop will ideally be Renmark but anywhere around the border is fine

I've checked out the recommended pet stay thread but there's nothing really this far inland.

Does anyone know of any places I can stay that take pets?

Any DOL'ers got a spare patch of floor?

The caravan parks at Tooleybuck, Ouyen and Balranald will let you stay with a dog. Not sure about Nerandera and Hay but I expect there is similar. You can have a dog on lead (subject to owner's consent but it would have to be an obnoxious dog or owner or both), and in your tent. One of them was ok with dog in cabin (They had a dedicated doggy cabin - I think that was Balranald).

There is a free camping ground (with ants) at Hay on the river. You turn north at the roundabout and drive over the bridge and take the first? left and follow the signs to the "boat ramp".

I found all the places along the rivers including Hay, Tooleybuck and Neranderra in November populated by the biggest nastiest stingingest mozzies ever. The size of flying golf balls, with a sting like a bee. And they like dogs too. I was lucky my stuff was soaked in Permethrym but the dog was only safe in the car. They stung her something special.

I stopped at Tooleybuck one night (2008?) and was kept awake all night by the harvest trucks going around the corner that the caravan park is on. And on the way back Ouyen - kept awake by the road workers camping there but they were gone in November 2010. Ouyen had no lawn for camping on and an awful lot of prickles and ants and it's right next door to horse trainers (and horses) who seem to be up all night. There was a sort of free pull up area (with toilets) next to the football oval on the railway line side, but I felt safer in the caravan park. If you're feeling really sneaky you could probably get away with camping the other side of the football oval (not on a weekend).

in November 2010, I camped on the way over at Ouyen having failed to make Balranald. Ouyen mozzies were not too bad (by comparison). And on the way back I camped in Canberra with friends, and skipped stopping on the way back. Once I get past Ouyen I feel like I'm almost home. Which is crap but I feel driving into darkness isn't so bad when you hit the dual lane highway the other side of Tailem Bend.

I don't like doing Sydney Adelaide via Mildura - too many stops, slow points (towns) and tourists in caravans, although the road on the North side of the river was pretty good.

I got my dog friendly places to stay out of the RAA / NRMA dog friendly holiday places book.

Suggest you take every mozzie repellant system you have if you're planning on camping at any spot near water. Which is um, everywhere (except southern WA), but along the Murrumbidgee and Murray is particularily bad at the moment.