Extra Strong Crate Needed

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

For his own safety (and to prevent further damage to my house) My Staffy is going to have to be crated when I go out.

Now, he can destroy a normal crate in minutes, and can easily chew through those metal lattice screen doors, so can anyone recommend a crate that will be strong enough, that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars???

He needs to be crated indoors too, as it's too hot in summer & too cold in winter for his old bones, so an outdoor dog run is out.

I've had a dog that could break crates in a matter of minutes too - never found anything that would hold him in if he wanted out. Problem is that if you do get a very strong crate he could injure himself quite badly in his attempts to break out. Catch 22. The material used for the C Crate trolleys is pretty good - but that's welded bars and wouldn't be cheap. No chance you can give him a room rather than use a crate?

The only thing that will hold a dog like that is weldmesh steel. As it is impossible for him to chew it and do any damage I doubt he would be injured trying to get out of it. Unfortunately all welded steel is expensive.

My only suggestion is take the dog to the local welders and pick the strongest welded metal.

Get the people to measure the dog (length and height) to get a good fit.

Won't be cheap, but may be a solution.

Guest Willow
I've had a dog that could break crates in a matter of minutes too - never found anything that would hold him in if he wanted out. Problem is that if you do get a very strong crate he could injure himself quite badly in his attempts to break out. Catch 22. The material used for the C Crate trolleys is pretty good - but that's welded bars and wouldn't be cheap. No chance you can give him a room rather than use a crate?

That's somethign else we're considering, but we would need to purchase a portable aircon for that room, because once it gets over 35 here, it gets so hot in there. Of course, putting that in decreases the amount of space available, and he may damage it or injure himself on it. Plus, it will be $$$$$

The only thing that will hold a dog like that is weldmesh steel. As it is impossible for him to chew it and do any damage I doubt he would be injured trying to get out of it. Unfortunately all welded steel is expensive.

That was my concern :)

Looks like it's going to cost us whatever we do......still, gotta be cheaper in the long run that replacing doors/blinds/furniture every week!!!!

Oh, and before someone offers well-meaning behavioural advice (bound to happen....it's DOL :hug::thumbsup: ) he is phobic about two things....thunder, and the training fighter jets that drop fake bombs on the army range 20km away. We have fixed all his other little issues, but the noise thing, it's just a cse of management now.

Try hunting in salvage yards.

I have an ultra strong metal crate thing here, that I acquired from someone.

I think he said it came off the back of a ute. Its 4 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot high. Had to put a door in it but was easy.

Edited by Christina

Hahahahahaha nope - weldmesh steel can be chewed. The REALLY tiny one not so much because they can't get their teeth in to it, but the dog I mentioned chewed through a weldmesh steel fence with the larger sized holes so the ''strength'' of the steel isn't enough on it's own.

OP - have you tried a DAP infuser? Not as a solution but may help if you can find some way of confining as well?

Guest Willow
Ccrates used to do a fully metal one, maybe ask them?

will do!!! :hug:

Try hunting in salvage yards.

I have an ultra strong metal crate thing here, that I acquired from someone.

I think he said it came off the back of a ute. Its 4 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot high. Had to put a door in it but was easy.

Oh, good thinking! :thumbsup:

Those fake bomb things sound horrific, poor staffy. Hope you find a good solution.

They're horrible...some days we can feel the vibrations & the windows shake....the boom it makes it very , creepy....feel worse for the people who only live a 2 or 3 km from it :) I can understand why he goes off, poor fella, it must be terrifying.