What To Do

Vickie

I didn't realise you were talking about sheepdog skills either :eat: as you and your dogs ROCK at agility!

I have only done a handful of herding sessions - and my dog is definitely more talented than I am :love: I have NO idea what I am doing when working sheep. Haven't done any for ages - maybe I should give it another go.

If you have the time - go for it. What better way to improve than to have a very talented dog!

ETA - I was thinking agility also and was thinking jeebus if she thinks she doesn't have the skills then best I give up now before I make a complete fool of myself!!

Edited by OSoSwift

Are the bitch & dog going to produce pups that are happy to chill out? Or will they be pups like the one your friend (Dasha?) had?

I can't imagine why they would turn out anything like that pup, they are totally unrelated & very different types of dogs. I would not be interested in sheepdogs that did not have the ability to chill out.

I am a novice handler but would rather have a savvy dog than a dog with skills to equal mine :rofl:

Agreed (relating to me not you) :rofl:

I am willing to learn from the dog and not arrogant enough to think I am always right. Not sure if that makes sense?

I know what you mean, but I have found that there comes a time where I do need to be more right than the dog. Letting a dog do what it does well & naturally can only take you so far. Although I am inexperienced, I feel it is my job to train my dog to do what I ask, while at the same time keeping everything in control enough not to ask for something totally unreasonable. not sure if that makes sense...

why not start with the best and let the dog teach you stuff if it has a natural herding instinct

another one who thinks you are underselling yourself, sure you might have agility skills but I would have thought one of the necessary skills for both agility and herding would be first up having your dog listen to you and from your posts and results I would say that you are very good at this

life is short, go get the pup :rofl:

Underselling yourself :rolleyes:

Well the breeder isn't taking a waiting list as such - only a list of interested people and then the best potential homes will be selected from the list. And depending on the pups that arrive.

You can always learn a lot from a naturally good dog. Sometimes you have to trust it is right when it counts. Like someone told me - they do know better than us, they read a sheeps intention before we have even seen whats going on. But home in training I am always right and they do what is commanded no matter what. But in saying that, at trials if I make a wrong call, the dog over rules me and does what is right when it counts.

You can always progress with a good dog. As you will with your good dogs. they are talented too, you just need more practice and trust in what you are doing

You could always wait and see how many pups, see if you like them when they start developing.

Would the choice of father make a big difference on your decision

they wouldn't be born till say June, then August before you get it, then another 6-8 months before you start breaking it in, so already that is nearly 11 months of practice you can get in with your already talented dogs ready to start your new one.

All going well I am sure there will be another litter prob next year.

PS: Not sure which pup Jules is referring to but if it is that wretched one I bought ( and later sold) you'd be pretty unlucky to come across many like that especially out of top bitches and top dogs as well. :confused:

hmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder how that wretched thing is going anyway.