I Am Never Walking My Dogs In This Neighbourhood Again.

Jimmay

Just curious, if 2 staffys were "attacking" a swf, while the owner is out cold wouldn't the dog have had injuries?

Not saying it didn't happen.

Staffies have been known to shake small dogs to death - no marks left.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why didnt you give the dogs to your mum and help the poor old man and baby?

My Mum would not have been strong enough to hold Tyson... My mum tried to walk over to the man whilst still having Pixie on lead with her! I yelled at her to get back and come to me and by that time there were more than enough people there trying to control the situation. I'm sorry but my number one priority is protecting my own dogs.

I consider human life, especially a baby more important than my animals. A BABY face planting the concrete in a pram with heightened dog behaviour surrounding it would turn on my overdrive ESPECIALLY when there were 2 adults with 2 dogs on lead who could have worked out a plan instead of squealing off down the road. If your mother was fit enough to run off, maybe you should have squealed off home and sent your mother to assist.

:noidea: geez it's so easy to judge someone else when you haven't been in that position yourself. I'm just glad opinions are just that, hopefully the OP knows this as well.

I have been in worse

My Mum would not have been strong enough to hold Tyson... My mum tried to walk over to the man whilst still having Pixie on lead with her! I yelled at her to get back and come to me and by that time there were more than enough people there trying to control the situation. I'm sorry but my number one priority is protecting my own dogs.

I consider human life, especially a baby more important than my animals. A BABY face planting the concrete in a pram with heightened dog behaviour surrounding it would turn on my overdrive ESPECIALLY when there were 2 adults with 2 dogs on lead who could have worked out a plan instead of squealing off down the road. If your mother was fit enough to run off, maybe you should have squealed off home and sent your mother to assist.

:noidea:

:noidea: geez it's so easy to judge someone else when you haven't been in that position yourself. I'm just glad opinions are just that, hopefully the OP knows this as well.

I have been in worse

Your my hero :laugh:

I have been in worse

Your my hero :laugh:

thanks, glad to be of assistance.

Glad your ok OP as well as the old man, the baby and the SWF. What a horrible thing to have happened.

Just wanted to add, everyone reacts differently in stressful situations. Some may think logically and others will panic, others will freeze and not be able to move. Please don't give the OP grief, she wasn't necessarily thinking straight and possibilities maybe didn't occur to her. And as already stated there were several other neighbors who came running out to help, she obviously felt the situation would be handled by these other neighbours and then realised her dogs/herself/mother were in trouble also so decided to remove themselves from the situation before it progressed into themselves being in trouble. I am sure had the situation called for it (ie no neighbours to help) the OP would have found a way to help.

I would have done the same thing in the situation. I hold human life high but my dogs are my world and I couldn't and wouldn't put them in danger.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

:) geez it's so easy to judge someone else when you haven't been in that position yourself. I'm just glad opinions are just that, hopefully the OP knows this as well.

I have been in worse

That's all well and good for you to say, but you weren't in this situation. Why should you have expected her to help when there were already half a dozen other neighbours rushing to help? As it was told, the baby "faceplanted" after people were already coming to help. What more could she have done? Better to clear yourself of the area if there's nothing more you can do. Especially (emphasis on this) when she said that one of the staffies was coming after her dogs. To hell with human life when DOG-AGGRESSIVE dogs are coming after your dog. The baby probably only got scratches, whereas her dogs could have been killed.

Putting you in this situation, you would have gone over with your dogs, and only exacerbated the problem. She did the right thing that was called for this situation, so don't you put her down for it.

Edited by Rehnagaede

:) geez it's so easy to judge someone else when you haven't been in that position yourself. I'm just glad opinions are just that, hopefully the OP knows this as well.

I have been in worse

That's all well and good for you to say, but you weren't in this situation. Why should you have expected her to help when there were already half a dozen other neighbours rushing to help? A it was told, the baby "faceplanted" after people were already coming to help. What more could she have done? Better to clear yourself of the area if there's nothing more you can do. Especially (emphasis on this) when she said that one of the staffies was coming after her dogs. To hell with human life when DOG-AGGRESSIVE dogs are coming after your dog. The baby probably only got scratches, whereas her dogs could have been killed.

Putting you in this situation, you would have gone over with your dogs, and only exacerbated the problem. She did the right thing that was called for this situation, so don't you put her down for it.

Nooooooo, I would not have taken my dogs. I would have given them to the person with me and told them NOT to run or squak whilst running. I would have got the baby off ground level and kicked the dog to high heaven if it approached me. If I was on my own, (the OP was not) I would have unclipped my dogs and told them to stay (they may or may not have done this under the stressful situation) and I would have got the baby off the ground first, then attended to anything else.

I have been in worse

That's all well and good for you to say, but you weren't in this situation. Why should you have expected her to help when there were already half a dozen other neighbours rushing to help? A it was told, the baby "faceplanted" after people were already coming to help. What more could she have done? Better to clear yourself of the area if there's nothing more you can do. Especially (emphasis on this) when she said that one of the staffies was coming after her dogs. To hell with human life when DOG-AGGRESSIVE dogs are coming after your dog. The baby probably only got scratches, whereas her dogs could have been killed.

Nooooooo, I would not have taken my dogs. I would have given them to the person with me and told them NOT to run or squak whilst running. I would have got the baby off ground level and kicked the dog to high heaven if it approached me. If I was on my own, (the OP was not) I would have unclipped my dogs and told them to stay (they may or may not have done this under the stressful situation) and I would have got the baby off the ground first, then attended to anything else.

By the time the baby face planted they were about 10 neighbours there and I was half way up the street. But thanks for the insight on how miraculously perfect you are and how your heroism alone would have saved the day, maybe one day i'll live up to your glorious example, may I have your autograph? I think we might have a real life super hero on this forum. :)

Fu#%ing hell !!!

I really hope that the baby and the grandfather are actually ok!

Scarred physically or mentally, i'm sure the man and baby will be in shock long after this terrible event!

Edited to add - i deffinately would have ran to help the baby and man had i been the first person to see it taking place!!!

Edited by PeiLuvR

I have been in worse

By the time the baby face planted they were about 10 neighbours there and I was half way up the street. But thanks for the insight on how miraculously perfect you are and how your heroism alone would have saved the day, maybe one day i'll live up to your glorious example, may I have your autograph? I think we might have a real life super hero on this forum. :)

No, far from perfect, but level. Running backwards squaking down the street with another person is not something I would do. Regardless of the number of people, considering the severity of the incident, one would think you would attend the situation at some point and offer assistance. Lots to do. Catch dogs, assist faceplanted babies, assist x-knocked out men, support distressed owner of window flying dogs, take notes, make phone calls, turn the kettle on, exchange numbers as a witness etc. etc.

I have been in worse

No, far from perfect, but level. Running backwards squaking down the street with another person is not something I would do. Regardless of the number of people, considering the severity of the incident, one would think you would attend the situation at some point and offer assistance. Lots to do. Catch dogs, assist faceplanted babies, assist x-knocked out men, support distressed owner of window flying dogs, take notes, make phone calls, turn the kettle on, exchange numbers as a witness etc. etc.

I did, I ran home to secure my dogs (which was a few houses up) and then ran back again... I know for a fact I did everything I could have done in that situation, but by all means keep whinging and making assumptions all you want my dear.

I have been in worse

That's all well and good for you to say, but you weren't in this situation. Why should you have expected her to help when there were already half a dozen other neighbours rushing to help? As it was told, the baby "faceplanted" after people were already coming to help. What more could she have done? Better to clear yourself of the area if there's nothing more you can do. Especially (emphasis on this) when she said that one of the staffies was coming after her dogs. To hell with human life when DOG-AGGRESSIVE dogs are coming after your dog. The baby probably only got scratches, whereas her dogs could have been killed.

My god Chewy but you are so judgemental. You're not perfect (nobody is) so please stop trying to make the OP feel guilty for her actions in a situation where she acted appropriately.

I wouldn't have done anything differently and I don't give a rat's behind as to how that makes you feel. Protecting myself and my dogs is far more important to me than some random stranger and a baby. So boo-hoo for me. I'm a coward and you're super-brave and awesome. Go find another thread to trumpet your superiority, eh? :)

My feeling is that it is not the OPs actions, given that there were plenty of people coming help, but her choice of words. My dogs safety is never more important than a human life if there is no other choice or no other help BUT if there is ample help for the human then I will remove my dogs to safety.

I have been in worse

My god Chewy but you are so judgemental. You're not perfect (nobody is) so please stop trying to make the OP feel guilty for her actions in a situation where she acted appropriately.

I wouldn't have done anything differently and I don't give a rat's behind as to how that makes you feel. Protecting myself and my dogs is far more important to me than some random stranger and a baby. So boo-hoo for me. I'm a coward and you're super-brave and awesome. Go find another thread to trumpet your superiority, eh? :)

I questioned the OP as to why she felt she could not assist in this situation? It intrigues me how people think in a potential disaster situation, what their priorities are and how they break down the event. I am more interested in this situation though as the OP and her mother were first on the scene. There was a thread last week regarding a situation where someone failed to stop and assist in a potentially severe situation. I can accept everybody is different, but I like to know why they make the choices they do. I find it interesting, and being on a public forum and myself having a strong interest in thought patterns, I believe I have a right to ask why the OP decided to react in that way.

There used to be a 3-legged Boxer that lived a few doors down from my parents. It was sometimes contained, but it could jump 6ft fences with ease, so basically it went where it wanted to. If someone happened to walk down the street out front of its house it would come roaring out and jump up aggressively on the person and bite them as it chased them across the road. I assume it wasn't biting seriously because no one ever got hurt that I know of, but that dog scared the bejesus out of me. I saw it attacking a couple one day and no way in hell was I going to help them. I had my own little dog with me and was scared stiff this dog was going to come after her with twice the ferocity. He was too big and fast for me to hope to fend off if he went for my dog. The couple shook him off once they got to the other side of the road and were shaken up, but none the worse for wear. They were ahead of us, so then we had to run the gauntlet. Thankfully the dog wasn't triggered by anyone walking on the other side of the road. The dog is long gone, but to this day I always walk the dogs past that house on the far side of the road just in case. *shudder*

I questioned the OP as to why she felt she could not assist in this situation? It intrigues me how people think in a potential disaster situation, what their priorities are and how they break down the event. I am more interested in this situation though as the OP and her mother were first on the scene. There was a thread last week regarding a situation where someone failed to stop and assist in a potentially severe situation. I can accept everybody is different, but I like to know why they make the choices they do. I find it interesting, and being on a public forum and myself having a strong interest in thought patterns, I believe I have a right to ask why the OP decided to react in that way.

You need to realise, all that I described happened within a couple of seconds, it's hard for me to try and describe every fine detail as it was all happening at once. The mans family were walking a few steps ahead of him, so they were able to run over straight away when they heard us yell out, as did a few neighbours. At some point the people that owned the dogs must have stopped their car and run over (which must have been when the second dog got out). They were all trying to catch the staffies which were weaving around which caused the pram to fall forward. I realised since they were trying to get the swf away from the staffies that my dogs would have been the next target if I were to stick around, and I was right because as I was running half way up the street one of the staffies had started coming after us. It's lucky I left when I did or the situation could have potentially been a lot worse.

Edited by Jimmay

My feeling is that it is not the OPs actions, given that there were plenty of people coming help, but her choice of words. My dogs safety is never more important than a human life if there is no other choice or no other help BUT if there is ample help for the human then I will remove my dogs to safety.

Those staffies never jumped out the window to attack the baby though. They jumped out to have a go at the dog. It was just a mishap that the carriage got knocked over. As I said before, if there were dog-aggressive dogs around, wouldn't your dogs be your highest priority? Her words clearly enunciated what the situation prescribed, which was for her to get her dogs the hell away from those staffies. Therefore, her choice of words were perfectly fine and your statement is invalid because of the fact that there were other people around to help.

There used to be a 3-legged Boxer that lived a few doors down from my parents. It was sometimes contained, but it could jump 6ft fences with ease, so basically it went where it wanted to. If someone happened to walk down the street out front of its house it would come roaring out and jump up aggressively on the person and bite them as it chased them across the road. I assume it wasn't biting seriously because no one ever got hurt that I know of, but that dog scared the bejesus out of me. I saw it attacking a couple one day and no way in hell was I going to help them. I had my own little dog with me and was scared stiff this dog was going to come after her with twice the ferocity. He was too big and fast for me to hope to fend off if he went for my dog. The couple shook him off once they got to the other side of the road and were shaken up, but none the worse for wear. They were ahead of us, so then we had to run the gauntlet. Thankfully the dog wasn't triggered by anyone walking on the other side of the road. The dog is long gone, but to this day I always walk the dogs past that house on the far side of the road just in case. *shudder*

Situations can be frightening, but the OP did NOT witness the first dog as being human aggressive. If the dog was seriously HA you would have to do some quick prioritising as to what help you would be if you were missing a limb. Every situation is so different, but this incident involved a baby on the ground with possible head injuries, and and old man with a head injury, both due to falls. They were not attacked by a dog.

I too have childhood memories of evil neighborhood dogs. Would be a good General thread actually.

Those staffies never jumped out the window to attack the baby though. They jumped out to have a go at the dog. It was just a mishap that the carriage got knocked over. As I said before, if there were dog-aggressive dogs around, wouldn't your dogs be your highest priority? Her words clearly enunciated what the situation prescribed, which was for her to get her dogs the hell away from those staffies. Therefore, her choice of words were perfectly fine and your statement is invalid because of the fact that there were other people around to help.

No it isn't as the baby was on the ground and possibly in danger of being caught uo in the attack etc and intially the man knocked out. My response was in reply to these words

If the OP had worded the post slightly differently it would have made a difference to peoples responses.

I don't think the OP did anything wrong.