Australian-made Rawhide Chews?

poochiemama

I want to get some long-lasting rawhide bones/chews - but I'm sick of getting the made-in-china ones, when you don't know what's really in them. Anyone know of Aussie rawhide chews which I can get online? Our local pet shop says there is no such thing, but I am doubtful. Also on the topic of longlasting chews- i got them some roo tails; are these safe? We had an incident with smoked bones once where Charlie got bowel obstruction, so I'm always cautious. Thanks!

This is the one I go to

http://www.australianpettreatcompany.com.au/

There was a thread recently that had some other names as well.

I personally stay away from anthing dried/smoked that has bone in it. It just gets to hard and brittle for my liking.

I get the beef tendons, whizzers, roo flpas and roo tendons.

These are quite hard and long lasting.

I generally stay away from rawhide as it is not a natural dried product and I have heard of dog choking on sticky flaps of rawhide and getting blockages as well. Having said that I guess there is a risk in lots of things that happen only rarely.

Just have to add that because I had to pull up the page to get the web address . Then I thought well we haven't had any for a little bit and the dogs could do with some,so.....................................................

...$122 later I am back on DOL!!!!

Just had a look around that site and cannot find anywhere that states the treats are made in Australia from Australian product. :(

It only seems to state that they are an Australian owned company, not where the treats come from.

Hmmm

The lamb page says made from Australian lamb

The Beef page doesn't

Neither does the Pork page

Chicken page is Australian Chicken

Roo says made from all Australian Roo - well um I would hope so!!!

Fish Products are Australian and New Zealand

Turkey is Australian Products.

I have sent them an email regarding which products are Australian Produce. At this point it seems the beef and Pork are not from Australian products which means in future I will not be buying Beef one if that is the case.

I am sure they had on their before they were Australian produce or I wouldn't have bought them!

I will let you know what they say.

This is the reply I got back

the only products that are not Australian are the pig ears that are labelled Imported, the Beef ears, the cow hooves, Beef bully sticks and any of the rawhide treats. the rest are all Australian products and ingredients.

So no Beef treats for me from here in future - shame because the dogs like them. As an Australian beef producer I will not support imported products.

Have thought of getting those, but just haven't got around to it as yet!

Are they really hard and would it be a potential issue with wearing down of teeth?

They are hard but not like bones, they don't splinter or crack.

Probably the best description is like a really thick cows hoof with a centre a bit like a hard Crunchie bar :laugh:

Just make sure they aren't chewing them on dirt or sand because the sand,saliva,antler combo could wear down teeth