Deposits For Puppies

janeses

Just wondering do breeders take deposits for puppies and is it a non refundable deposit? Also what age is puppy when you request deposit? And how much? do you ask for a percentage of puppy purchase price or do you ask for $200 or $300??

Would love to hear breeders opinion and views.

Just wondering do breeders take deposits for puppies and is it a non refundable deposit? Also what age is puppy when you request deposit? And how much? do you ask for a percentage of puppy purchase price or do you ask for $200 or $300??

Would love to hear breeders opinion and views.

I never used to but I do now.

My last litter I had people contacting me and wanting a puppy and as such I put them on my waiting list and spent many hours per person answering questions on the breed, training etc.

The pups were born and there were puppies enough to suit all requests (at birth you only know colour and gender but for a pet this is usually the starting point of most peoples request). They wanted me to reserve them a puppy and those that were available I did. At this point I was getting more replies and as I had reserved these pups the new people went elsewhere.

Puppies were nearly 3 weeks old and suddenly 3 of the buyers who had been taking up my time for months went quiet (all from the same region of the state). So I enquired how they were travelling and found out they had went and bought something else. There had been a couple of backyard litters where they could pick up the puppies sooner . I doubt I would have been told lest I asked.

Luckily I quickly found two more good homes for 2 but this time I asked for a $200.00 (20% of total price) Deposit.

This was to be refundable should the pup die, have something come to light that would affect its suitability as a pet with it's 6 week vet check, or have an unsuitable temperament for the type of owners, but if the owners changed their mind and wanted a schoodle it was nonrefundable.

I spent $250 further advertising my remaining pup - and in this rejecting at least 3 unsuitable buyers, being left out of pocket by the initial time wasters, and spending many more hours working with new people and meeting them.

So yes taking a deposit is a wise thing as it at least shows some true commitment on the buyers part.

I am leaning towards taking deposits now for future litters, having been given the run around way too many times the last couple of litters. I think a 25% deposit is fair to ask, only refundable if pups dies or does not pass vet check.

I don't take deposits - I don't want to feel obligated.

I also don't keep a waiting list as such...

Those who keep in contact get a puppy (that's if I approve of them), those who don't keep in contact get nothing.

My puppy people don't know which puppy is there's until 8-9 weeks.

I am with boxerheart.

After my last litter I had puppies spoken for and then at 8 weeks when they were ready everyone just dropped off, not answering my calls or emails also had a show home lined up and when the puppies were 7 weeks and trying to organize a day for them to pick the puppy up they simply dropped out stopped answering the phone or emails, never to be heard of again.

Then after another who had not been in contact for 10 days despite my phone calls & emails (no deposit paid) I finally sold the male pup that I had been holding onto and then the people rung and asked if they could pick up their puppy. Tears and a very upset lady wondering how she was going to break the news to her children.

Sorry but I am way over these people, I have had enough, future litters I will only hold onto puppies with a deposit.

I don't because I don't want to be obligated but have been tempted.

People are unbelievable sometimes. I had one person order a puppy well before they were born and appeared quite interested as they grew although only had time to visit once even though they were local and when 9 weeks rolled round she never mentioned when she was picking him up. I finally got hold of her and she told me she had to think what weekend would be most suitable to get him and would get back to me. I had to ring her back only to be told she had changed her mind. The puppy was 12 weeks old by then and I had passed on really good homes to other breeders.

I also find most people just keep ringing or e-mail breeders until they find one with puppies they can have now with no regard to health testing or even the temperament of the parents. They just want instant gratification.

I never used to take deposits but I find people wanting to pay them so they secure a puppy that they have been patiently waiting for so long. So I have starting taking a deposit that I state when they come to visit when the pups are 6 weeks of age and they don't like the pups or parents or anything I'm happy to return the money as I wouldn't want anyone feeling they are stuck with something they don't want or keep the money for another litter. :cry: I have never had that happen yet. I'd never take a deposit for puppies that are not even born yet. (unless it happened like just stated) The only thing I have found is you get the occasional person not wanting to put a deposit on something they have not met yet. But I'm strict on not letting people up until after pups are 6 weeks..... so if they are keen on securing a pup a deposit it paid when they are about 2-3 weeks old. It's early days yet but so far it's working! :laugh:

I take a smallish deposit . . . mostly to prevent people from 'forgetting' that they have agreed to buy a puppy and leaving me with pups to home at the last minute. I explain that that's what the deposit is for . . . and that it is refundable if they act in good faith, but that I'll pocket it if they muck me around at the last minute. Puppy buyers seem happy to accept this. I have refunded a few deposits . . . for people who have family breakdowns, job losses, transfers, and other events that could be bad for the pup.

I take deposits and have done so for over 13 years. I start to reserve a litter up to 2 years in advanced by buyers request, and by my request 1 year in advance.

I have never kept a deposit if someone did not get a pup in the end, but that is a rare event.

I do this as I want to know I have the right homes already arranged and waiting for the pups before they are born. If I can not arrange this over the year preceding their birth then I would not breed the litter.

The new owners like this too. These are folks who usually know exactly what they want in their next pup. They can plan well ahead. They know they are on to get a pup from the litter they really want. They get to enjoy the whole process of breeding, preg, birth and raising of the pups as I keep in contact with them sending reports and photos.

I also usually plan well ahead for the pups I buy and have no problem leaving a deposit to secure my place. I would much rather plan ahead and work with the breeder to get just the right pup.

Edited by shortstep

After I have talked to them and I'm satisfied they will be suitable forever parent(s) I take a deposit I make it clear that it is a mutual committment (IMHO) to take a pup and me to make sure they get a pup. That includes once there is a deposit loads of emails about feeding, dangerous plants in their yard, crate training and a weekly photo of the whole litter. I am certainly prepared to return the deposit if they say they will not take the pup but that hasnt happened ... yet. The deposit allows me to put aside money for vaccinations and microchipping which always helps me.

I do have a waiting list but from experience only about 1/3rd ever follow through and get a pup from a waiting list.

Edited by Tapua

Thank you everyone for your replies. I know a friend that takes a $200 deposit but is non refundable if they simply change their mind. The person who is wanting my puppy is the best home i can ask for puppy but was getting a bit worried when she was email at least once to twice a day and then sent recent pics and heard nothing for nearly week. I emailed her to see if she got pics and she replied and was telling me this weekend she was setting yard etc up for puppy. Puppy is nearly 7 weeks old and even though i haven't advertised puppy but do have pics on my website i am getting several inquiries. So i think because puppy is nearly 7 weeks old that i should be asking for a deposit? As i don't want to be left with a puppy to sell at last minute. I too think with a deposit that i would refund in some circumstances but when they just change their mind i won't give a refund.

I take deposits and have done so for over 13 years. I start to reserve a litter up to 2 years in advanced by buyers request, and by my request 1 year in advance.

I have never kept a deposit if someone did not get a pup in the end, but that is a rare event.

I do this as I want to know I have the right homes already arranged and waiting for the pups before they are born. If I can not arrange this over the year preceding their birth then I would not breed the litter.

The new owners like this too. These are folks who usually know exactly what they want in their next pup. They can plan well ahead. They know they are on to get a pup from the litter they really want. They get to enjoy the whole process of breeding, preg, birth and raising of the pups as I keep in contact with them sending reports and photos.

I also usually plan well ahead for the pups I buy and have no problem leaving a deposit to secure my place. I would much rather plan ahead and work with the breeder to get just the right pup.

I am very big on keeping them involved too, that is why it hurts when you put in the time and commitment to the people as well and they shaft you.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I know a friend that takes a $200 deposit but is non refundable if they simply change their mind. The person who is wanting my puppy is the best home i can ask for puppy but was getting a bit worried when she was email at least once to twice a day and then sent recent pics and heard nothing for nearly week. I emailed her to see if she got pics and she replied and was telling me this weekend she was setting yard etc up for puppy. Puppy is nearly 7 weeks old and even though i haven't advertised puppy but do have pics on my website i am getting several inquiries. So i think because puppy is nearly 7 weeks old that i should be asking for a deposit? As i don't want to be left with a puppy to sell at last minute. I too think with a deposit that i would refund in some circumstances but when they just change their mind i won't give a refund.

Yes, Ask for a deposit.