Filters

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

I'm heading to a horse show tomorrow and of course I'm taking my Canon.

I have the twin lens kits and probably take the larger lens [the numbers escape me right now] and I'd like to buy a filter as I find it easier to shoot outside in the sun with a filter. Had a filter with my Pentax and it was so much nicer to shoot with. Pretty sure I bought a UV for that camera.

Pretty sure most of the horse stuff will be out in a paddock, in the sun!

Do I go a UV or a polarized filter? I want to go buy one on my lunch break today.

Probably missed you already but a UV filter really doesn't do much expect protect your front element. Of course, cheap crappy ones can screw with your image quality, but a good one won't hurt.

A polarized filter will have an impact on your images - basically it will help cut some glare, make your skies bluer etc. The downside? They often give you a vignette in the corners and if you don't have it on exactly right will give part of your sky the effect but not the other part which looks dicky.

Depends what you want your filter to do as to which one you choose. I don't use filters on any of my lenses day-to-day.

main thing I use it for is to protect the front of the lens from scratches, dirt etc, having said that I only have a UV one on day to day, keep the polarising and neutral density one (which is an allover dark lens, used to bring the stops down for landscape stuff - the ND filter can help bring it down nicely to get that nice "cotton candy" effect with waterfalls etc, which I love)

stupid question from me !

but what are filters, how many types are there for special uses and what are the purpose of them..

sorry from slow camera learner haha

There are a million different filters :laugh: Best thing to do is to have a bit of a google and browse through some photography forums.

Filters are, imho, an extra and not a must-have for the vast majority of people/photos.