Flying Dogs

Pockets

So I fly my dogs quite often during the year to interstate show ls etc, in the past have paid excess baggage cost for one dog and the second at freight cost (quite pricey) or I book the second one through jets pets (not much different to freight cost)

Anyway today the Ausair express attendant told me

if you are a member of your canine council you can fly up to 3 large dogs at excess baggage cost :(

having flown numerous times before no one has ever advised me on this and I have not read it on their website and have never noticed it on the Dogs Victoria website.....

So thought I would pass on for those like me who didn't know! :(

This applied to Qantas for years was on the AAE site but when they re did it this year it has vanished

I am amazed you where never asked if with qantas/AAE,it didn't apply to Virgin unless it has changed

Edited by showdog

As I understand it, fr a dog to fly as excess baggage, both airports must accept animals in the terminal? I flew my small dog from Melb to Adelaide last year but had to fly her as freight becauseanimals are not allowed inside the Adelaide terminal? I flew Qantas.

Talking of flying dogs and such,

If say, I want to consider doing a specialty held at Erskine Park, and will fly my dogs, is there a way of getting from the airport to the show grounds without driving yourself?

I am just curious as to know if it's possible as I am not good when it comes to driving in unfamiliar places! How does everyone do it? Thought I ask! :thumbsup:

As I understand it, fr a dog to fly as excess baggage, both airports must accept animals in the terminal? I flew my small dog from Melb to Adelaide last year but had to fly her as freight becauseanimals are not allowed inside the Adelaide terminal? I flew Qantas.

That's correct.

I flew Darwin to Melb and back. Dogs allowed in Melb terminal but not Darwin, so she had to be sent as 'freight' both ways, so it did not come under excess baggage, it was extra cost.

This was Qantas one way and Virgin Blue the other way.

If say, I want to consider doing a specialty held at Erskine Park, and will fly my dogs, is there a way of getting from the airport to the show grounds without driving yourself?

I am just curious as to know if it's possible as I am not good when it comes to driving in unfamiliar places! How does everyone do it? Thought I ask! :thumbsup:

You can book a taxi or pick one up at the airport but you must ensure that you state you have dogs with you when you make the booking. Though most drivers will not take dogs, some have no problem with it. Dogs must be crated to travel in a taxi unless is it an assistance dog.

That's correct.

I flew Darwin to Melb and back. Dogs allowed in Melb terminal but not Darwin, so she had to be sent as 'freight' both ways, so it did not come under excess baggage, it was extra cost.

Glad I wasn't ripped off LOL although the extra $150 added to my trip was an annoyance as when I'd entered the royal I had assumed I could take her as excess.

We have been charged $10 per kilo over allowance with Qantas.

We flew to Adelaide from Brisbane a couple of years ago. Brisbane allows dogs in the terminal but as mentioned Adelaide doesn't. We flew dogs as excess baggage out of Brisbane although we had to pick them up from the freight terminal on arrival in Adelaide. The return leg to Brisbane they were booked as freight.

'Paptacular!' post='5207855' date='18th Mar 2011 - 07:35 PM'As I understand it, for a dog to fly as excess baggage, both airports must accept animals in the terminal? I flew my small dog from Melb to Adelaide last year but had to fly her as freight because animals are not allowed inside the Adelaide terminal? I flew Qantas.

That's correct.

Glad I wasn't ripped off LOL although the extra $150 added to my trip was an annoyance as when I'd entered the royal I had assumed I could take her as excess.

welcome to the world of big owners & how lucky you are,$150 would be a spit in the ocean for me.i pay just under $800 each year for my melbourne trip,this year with extra dog will be just near $1000.

I paid nearly $2000 to fly to shows last year

'Paptacular!' post='5207855' date='18th Mar 2011 - 07:35 PM'As I understand it, for a dog to fly as excess baggage, both airports must accept animals in the terminal? I flew my small dog from Melb to Adelaide last year but had to fly her as freight because animals are not allowed inside the Adelaide terminal? I flew Qantas.

That's correct.

welcome to the world of big owners & how lucky you are,$150 would be a spit in the ocean for me.i pay just under $800 each year for my melbourne trip,this year with extra dog will be just near $1000.

I paid nearly $2000 to fly to shows last year

Oh, I wasn't whinging about the cost - I know it can be very expensive especially for larger dogs (can I ask though, that amount you quoted, was that purely for the dogs or did that include your own flights?). I was just more annoyed at the confusion, different advice I was given from different people (and AAE themselves), I would have saved extra into my dog account had I known from day one I wasn't able to fly her as excess baggage, that is all :o $150 when you expect to pay nothing is a bit of a shock to the system!!

But like everything else with them, big dogs are expensive. You could always downsize :laugh: my 3 Borders don't even cost me half as much to keep as my Newfoundland did!! Big dogs are better though :laugh:

Guest CaptainCourageous

I am just curious as to know if it's possible as I am not good when it comes to driving in unfamiliar places! How does everyone do it? Thought I ask! :)

A shame Sydney railways don't allow dogs, and Melbourne airport's not near a railway line. Maybe the best advice is "phone a friend" or ask for help on these forums?

btw Does anyone have a definitive list of which Aussie terminals accept dogs?

CC

btw Does anyone have a definitive list of which Aussie terminals accept dogs?

CC

from the Qantas website;

Animals that must be sent as freight to or from these airports: Pets are not permitted in the passenger terminals of the following airports either for departure or arrival:

Adelaide, Alice Springs, Cairns, Canberra, Darwin, Gove, Hobart, Karratha, Perth, Port Hedland and Townsville.

All permitted pets must be lodged at the Australian air Express freight terminal and you will be required to pay the applicable rate for the carriage of the pet. When pets

are travelling to any of these destinations they must be collected from the freight terminal at the arrival destination.