Giving Up Dog As Not Safe To Walk Him

loveleroy

i have a beautiful one year old pure border collie whom that we got at 9 weeks. we have a very young family and i find it difficult to get time to really give him a good walk. sevearal weeks ago we were attacked and mauled by a rottweiller off lead on main road, this has terrified me and i suffer anxiety problems now and every time i go out we meet anither bogan with thier viscious dogs off lead. I have gotten to the point where i think it might be best to rehome my boy to a rural property as he loves to chase things, never leaves the cat alone and is obsessed with the kids moving around in the house that he throws himself against the window. im so angry that the actions of other irresponsible dog owners and the lack of council control are making me give my dog up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about bringing in a well recommended behaviourist ? to help train you both and give your confidence back ?

There are some wonderful trainers here who could advise you.

fifi

i have a beautiful one year old pure border collie whom that we got at 9 weeks. we have a very young family and i find it difficult to get time to really give him a good walk. sevearal weeks ago we were attacked and mauled by a rottweiller off lead on main road, this has terrified me and i suffer anxiety problems now and every time i go out we meet anither bogan with thier viscious dogs off lead. I have gotten to the point where i think it might be best to rehome my boy to a rural property as he loves to chase things, never leaves the cat alone and is obsessed with the kids moving around in the house that he throws himself against the window. im so angry that the actions of other irresponsible dog owners and the lack of council control are making me give my dog up.

Sorry to hear what happened however no one is making you give your dog up, you are deciding to do that yourself. You may think that's rude, however I've been in the situation of stray dogs attacking my dog but he still lives me...

Your dog isn't behaving at home because A) you haven't trained the dog to do so B) you're not giving the dog enough mental stimulation coupled with the right amout of physical stimulation suitable for a puppy/young adult.

I hope that you have reported each instance of attacks with your local Council.

I reccomend you work with a Behaviourist and if you do n't have the time/money/motivation then probably best to contact a working dog rescue to see if they can assist you.

Edited by MEH

Sorry to hear what happened however no one is making you give your dog up, you are deciding to do that yourself. You may think that's rude, however I've been in the situation of stray dogs attacking my dog but he still lives me...

Your dog isn't behaving at home because A) you haven't trained the dog to do so B) you're not giving the dog enough mental stimulation coupled with the right amout of physical stimulation suitable for a puppy/young adult.

I hope that you have reported each instance of attacks with your local Council.

I reccomend you work with a Behaviourist and if you do n't have the time/money/motivation then probably best to contact a working dog rescue to see if they can assist you.

I am sorry loveleroy, but I have to agree with MEH.

There is absolutely no excuse for irresponsible owners allowing their dogs to roam off leash around the street terrorising other citizens and their on leash dogs. I am sorry this has happened to you.

Sadly this has happened to me also, and probably the majority of DOLers. In fact these sorts of incidents occur on a daily basis.

Added to MEH's reasons for your dog not behaving at home is C) you do not seem to have researched your chosen breed of dog thoroughly prior to purchasing it, in regards to it being suitable for your household, experience and time availability. D) you did not plan ahead when purchasing a dog realising you had or would have a young family that required much of your time, allowing little remaining for adequate dog training.

This young dog is a product of it's near 12 months of upbringing in your home and is your responsibility.

If you choose to rehome, then that is your choice, and it may well be the best thing for this dog now, I don't know. But please do not blame others for your predicament.

I am sad for your dog and hope that he gets the boundaries, fulfilment and stimulation he requires to develop into a well rounded adult member of the community.

Edited by dyzney

I'm sorry to hear loveleroy. I can understand your anxiety after an attack. My dog was attached by another dog at a dog park it took me some time before i was comfortable stepping back into a dog park. Remember, there are other ways to exercise your dog in an environment that is more comfortable for you and will help you dog with physical and mental stimulation. You can start with play dates (the DOL social threads may be of use) etc. The suggestion of agility is a great idea.

Try more controlled environments and build you way back up to being confident enough to go on walks. You dog (especially with his breed) REALLY needs mental and physical stimulation.

As for irresponsible dog owners, they are everywhere- just do your best as a dog owner!

That's very sad and scary, but one thing I thought you should know is that just bc your dog gets attacked, doesn't mean anything has to change. My dog was attacked as a baby by a large bully type dog owned by someone who knew he was aggressive but had him off lead anyway. But my dog is fine. He loves other dogs and I don't worry about it anymore same way I don't worry about crashing every time I get in my car.

With dogs you get out what you put in, but the best part is it's on a sliding scale so you'll find they can give a lot more than they get after you hit a certain point. Try reading up about your breed, and if you really don't think you can provide the right home then give him up. But keep in mind, you guys are everything to him, and most dogs surrendered never leave :confused:

thanks for the replys and suggestions. i had a border collie x for 8 years before this one and have done lots of research on the breed. i believed we we were able to provide a good home at the time we got him. i was taking him for 6-7klm walks/runs most days however the attack has ruined this. in my neighbourhood the amount of agressive dogs with ignorant owners is unbelievable. i try to take him to training each week but its been difficult juggling the kids. Unfortunately he also bit a child at school that got in between him staring at kids playing with a ball. i will never have anither dog as i cant bring myself to walk them or exercise out of our home. We all love this dog so much and i know he is our responsibility but i cant help feeling that it would be nicer for him to have a better home where he has lots of room to run.

and for all those suggesting training - thanks, but he or i doesnt have any problems with training, hes a wonderful dog very intelligent its other dogs that are MY problem and the councils inability to enforce law.

wherabouts are you lovelroy? I also have a border collie and would be more than happy to arrange some play dates, border collies other border collies company. might help you both get your confidence up a bit, my girl is very soft natured.

if you are around my area, I would be happy to walk with you :confused:

thanks for the replys and suggestions. i had a border collie x for 8 years before this one and have done lots of research on the breed. i believed we we were able to provide a good home at the time we got him. i was taking him for 6-7klm walks/runs most days however the attack has ruined this. in my neighbourhood the amount of agressive dogs with ignorant owners is unbelievable. i try to take him to training each week but its been difficult juggling the kids. Unfortunately he also bit a child at school that got in between him staring at kids playing with a ball. i will never have anither dog as i cant bring myself to walk them or exercise out of our home. We all love this dog so much and i know he is our responsibility but i cant help feeling that it would be nicer for him to have a better home where he has lots of room to run.
and for all those suggesting training - thanks, but he or i doesnt have any problems with training, hes a wonderful dog very intelligent its other dogs that are MY problem and the councils inability to enforce law.

Sounds like there is more to this story. I think your dog does need training if he is biting kids. I don't think you should rehome a dog that is biting kids, I think you need to pay a good behaviourist to come out and work with you and accept responsibility for your dog.

I am sorry to sound blunt but if he bit a child at school, he does have training issues- issues that will need to be resolved regardless of whether you keep him or rehome him with full disclosure.

I was quite willing to pay a trainer or behaviourist but my main problem is my fear of walking him and now his obsessive need to chase as a result of me not walking him - no ammount of training is going to break his natural instinct of whats been bred into him and im feeling very guilty for trying to bring a working dog into a family home. so thats why i think its best to rehome him to a place with no kids and where he can use his working dog background and be happy. hes always been very gentle with my one year old but does have the hearding instinct and as a young pup nipped holes in my kids clothes when they would run and tease him, he grew out of that and even chewing shoes. the kid at school got in his face (on lead) while he was intently watching the ball, i dont think he meant to connect but....

I am sorry you have had a scray experience and do not feel safe in your area but I agree you cannot rehome a dog that has bitten a child.

You clearly have some very serious training issues, otherwise your dog would not have bitten anyone.

Please consult a behaviourist for the sake of the dog and of other people.

And i think you are misguided in your thoughts that a home with "lots of room to run" would be ideal for this dog.

If you manage to rehome him at all, it should be to someone experienced in the breed, that can provide the training and mental and physical stimulation required for a young active BC. This does not necessarily mean the dog running wild in a large yard or acreage.

Sounds like you have a few issues going on, including lack of time because of your family's needs and a fairly intense young working dog. He might like a home with more room to run, but a fairly untrained (and I have to say that given the biting incident, cat obsession and throwing himself against the windows) and unfulfilled adolescent that wants to chase everything that moves is not necessarily a good match for a rural home either, he'd need a lot of training and discipline to fit in there and not get into trouble. He might suit a dog sport home better than a rural one but they don't grow on trees either.

I can understand your anxiety at walking him, but if you can't regain your confidence you'll need to find some other options to exercise him even if just until you find another home for him. Does your dog club have a ground you can use outside of class times to exercise him? Is there a safer area you both can drive to and then walk? How about play dates? Walking with a friend? Changing the time of day you walk?

If you rehome him you'll need to disclose he bit a child, and that will put a lot of people off as will his other more extreme behaviours. I think you need a good trainer/behaviourist to show you how to channel his drives and a few options for getting around your anxiety problem. But if you do decide to rehome him, you can't really claim anyone is making you do so - it's a legitimate choice, but still your choice and from what you have written based more on you finding him too much dog to deal with than the attack.

Edited by Diva

I was quite willing to pay a trainer or behaviourist but my main problem is my fear of walking him and now his obsessive need to chase as a result of me not walking him

Aside from the issues with your dog (and there have been some very good suggestions here already which I can't improve on), maybe you need to look into some counselling for yourself to help you get over what has obviously been a traumatic experience for you. :confused:

I am sorry to sound blunt but if he bit a child at school, he does have training issues- issues that will need to be resolved regardless of whether you keep him or rehome him with full disclosure.

I was quite willing to pay a trainer or behaviourist but my main problem is my fear of walking him and now his obsessive need to chase as a result of me not walking him - no ammount of training is going to break his natural instinct of whats been bred into him and im feeling very guilty for trying to bring a working dog into a family home. so thats why i think its best to rehome him to a place with no kids and where he can use his working dog background and be happy. hes always been very gentle with my one year old but does have the hearding instinct and as a young pup nipped holes in my kids clothes when they would run and tease him, he grew out of that and even chewing shoes. the kid at school got in his face (on lead) while he was intently watching the ball, i dont think he meant to connect but....

Don't you think you should get the opinion of an expert before you write this dog off? Of course you can't break a dogs natural instinct but you can reduce it and harness it into useful or acceptable behaviours. Many working breed dogs live very happily in a family environment :confused:

You may not think your dog biting a child is serious and that it only meant to nip the child or warn it, but that is still completely unacceptable and dangerous.

ETA: have you spoken to the breeder and will the breeder take the dog back?

can you clarify- are you asking if someone on DOL can take him? you might be better off placing this in the training forum in that case

Edited by aussielover

It's not a matter of "breaking" instinct. It's a matter of working to condition that instinct to work for and with you. But yes .... it would take your time and the ideal would be that you would be enthusiastic enough to want to try. I'd suggest you give it a try - as the others have recommended, work with and under the supervision of a behaviourist and under that supervision, join in with a training group where you can work in and around other dogs knowing it is a controlled environment. Combine this with obtaining Counsel for yourself to help you through your own fears. This is just a rough plan, to give you an idea of how it is all possible.

But if you've made up your mind to re-home, that's certainly your prerogative. I just don't know how easy you will find this to do.

The reality is that most people on rural properties don't want a dog that hasn't been raised there. The risk of an untrained dog escaping and chasing the neighbours stock is just too great and many dogs on rural properties actually spend most of their lives on a chain anyway if they are not actually working. Farmers want puppies from working stock that they raise themselves to work. They are not interested in an out of control 12 month old dog. Very few dogs, especially of the working breeds, get to run around happily on acres all day.

Many Borders live happily in suburbia with families but mental stimulation is even more important than exercise. The dog needs to go to obedience or agility training where he can exercise his mind and body around other dogs that are under control. Very long daily walks actually seems to make them super fit so they crave even more activity.

I never walk my dogs in the street anymore after too many attacks by wandering dogs over the years, but I do drive most days to an area where they can be walked in a large park within sight of my car so if any other dogs turn up, I can put them straight back in the car. I also carry a stock whip that I know how to crack and use that to deter any dogs from coming anywhere near mine.

The fact that your dog nipped a child is more a reflection of you not being careful enough, than any real problem with the dog. Anyone who has had Borders for many years knows that they can nip in excitement and has usually been nipped themselves. I warn all puppy buyers that if you or your children run around in an excited manner the dog will chase and may nip. It is a breed trait that some dogs never do and others do very strongly and owners need to be aware and prevent it happening.