Leaving Gsd Puppy Home Alone

mattgsd

Hi guys,

After picking up my beautiful GSD puppy from her breeder last week, she's sleeping well, takes herself outside for the toilet, however as a first time shepherd owner there are a couple of things that are stressing me out.

Firstly, I decided to take a couple weeks off work whilst she settles in, with the intention of slowly getting her used to being alone outside during the working day. The last 3 days we've left her outside alone for 2hr/2hr/3hr, in which she goes between sitting at the back door, sleeping at the step, scratching at the door and whimpering/crying. I know shes only a puppy, but how long will it take for her to adjust and be more comfortable being left alone during the day?

Before leaving her alone i throw the ball around the yard with her, have a little training session, have my shower etc, then leave without making any fuss (shes very calm when i leave).

She has chew toys etc with her, but has no interest in them when shes alone.

Am I doing the right thing? I'm assume I'm just being a worry wart, and she'll get used to it soon, but hearing her howl and whimper is hard to take.

Thanks guys. Any tips etc would be appreciated.

Matt, not sure that I am any help to you as my GSD puppy would scream and howl when I left for work.

I would drive down the driveway in tears some days! I learned quickly to give her breakfast when I left to distract her from the intitial leaving part, she never cried after that. Mica learned quickly the routine of me going to work in the morning and your little girl will to.

Does she like kongs or other toys?

Just a question, how old is your little girl? I am assuming only 9ish weeks? I didn't leave Mica alone in the yard until she was a bit older, but others may be able to advise you better on this as i live in the country and my yard was a bit big and daunting for a new baby puppy.

ETA Welcome to DOL :) and pictures of the new addition are a must!

Edited by laeral

Hi,

This is my first post here but have been around reading for a while.

We have a lab puppy and it is very hard to hear their cries.

Does your puppy have somewhere to rest outside? Is she otherwise inside the house all the time? If she is inside all the time otherwise it will take her time to adjust to being alone outside - don't give her attention for the whimpering as it will just reinforce it.

Good on you for taking the time to let her settle in. Good luck.

I think 2-3 hrs at a time is too long at this stage, especially if you haven't done any training with her before hand and considering she is only probably around 9 weeks (?).

I found a crate quite useful for separation training, but you can easily do it without a crate. Practice leaving the puppy for very short periods say 2-5 minutes at a time. Ideally it should be a length of time where they don't cry or bark at all. Leave some toys and a kong or treat ball to keep them occupied for a bit if they cry or bark instantly. Leave her alone for say 5 minutes and then come back, play with her in the yard and bring her back to be with you. Repeat this at least every hour. This will help show the pup you are not leaving her forever. Gradually increase the time she is alone. If she does start crying or barking wait for at least 10 seconds of silence before you go out to her.

When you need to leave her for longer periods leave lots of toys, food in kongs, treat ballas, bob a lots or even plastic drink bottles can keep them entertained for ages. A nice juicy bone is also a good treat to leave them with.

A lot of puppies don't like to be separated from you for the first week or two. Your puppy should get over it soon if you are consistent and fair :laugh:

We left our 8 week old puppy in a tiled area of the house, crate with rugs in it (and door open), toys, water bowl and a little bit of kibble. He could see the other dogs in the yard, and could see out the front window.

That started the day after he came home, neither of us could take time off work so as hard as it was, we just had to leave him. The first few days my husband came home when he could he's self employed so it's easier for him), but after that he was on his own 8-9 hours a day,. He's now a year old and he's fine....no ill effects at all.

Our previous puppy was left in a run in the back yard, with kennel, toys, water and other dog on the other side of the fence, from 10 weeks as I'd taken 2 weeks off work to settle her in. She got used to it. She's 3 now, and she's absolutely fine.

Just start as you mean to go on. Pups are resilient, they get used to their new life, and you'll find that after being left during the day for a while, the growing puppy will find it's own routine and might be a bit put out when you're home and want to play when he's usually taking a nap!

LOL I'd say be thankful she's not screaming the place down.

Some whimpering is really nothing to concern yourself about, it's all very natural when you consider this pup has been taken away from its litter and now you're wanting it to spend time by itself.

Think about 'enrichment', what can you do to make outside fun? For example out pup goes down to a day pen when we're out and tug toys are threaded through the side panels, new items are chucken in there daily whether it be a box or a cardboard tube etc. etc.

We don't start with such long blocks such as 2 hours, we build up to that. There is a seperation training program we use with success, you're more than welcome to it, if you're interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I can send it over: [email protected]

Congrats on your new baby

My boy didnt carry on when outside, he had heaps of toys, a bone and a friend to play with

I think it is a good idea getting her used to you not being there as you are doing

Maybe leave her a bone? A big cuddly toy that she can snuggle up too maybe

Other than that, enjoy her cause they grow up way to quick

Are you taking her to training? If you are not maybe look in to the GSDCV club at KCC Park on a sunday :grouphug:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Zoey (10weeks) will have her first full day home alone tomorrow. She has had several half days alone and seems to just slept most of the time (some whimpering, a few scratches at the door, but she soon "gives up").

We have made sure that she spends the majority of the day outside (with us), to get her comfortable in the backyard. She has an outdoor bed, which is under the carport area, with plenty of shade.

We take her to GSDCV training as well as a local all breed puppy class.

She is left with a rope toy, indestruble ball, coke bottle (her favorite), chew tyre, and a rubber stick thing. We also leave the radio on for her when we leave.

Unfortunatly she's not a huge fan of the Kong, I think she sees it as more of a nuisance than a challenge! Hopefully that will change.

Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Hi Mattgsd,

A couple of things that are necessary.

Firstly, your puppy needs a special "area" where it can feel safe and secure. In the wild a puppy would be retreating into a den. Your puppy needs a "den", not just to be left outside the door. A den is a secure place for a puppy where the puppy can feel comfortable and "out of danger". A pen with a kennel in it, a kennel right near your back door or some construction where your puppy can retreat into while you are not home. It is important that your puppy feels it has an area where it can feel safe and secure.

When that is taken care of, leave your puppy for a few hours with a large marrow bone in the "den". You will be able to give the puppy a marrow bone and leave. Hopefully the puppy will take an hour or so amusing itself with the marrow bone and at the conclusion of that hour it will certainly be tired. The puppy will then want to sleep (in the den).

Start by only being away about 3 hours or so. Continue this every time you leave and your puppy will soon be happy on its own for longer periods of time.