Microchip Question Nsw

pikespooches

Hi

I had a bit of a search as my husband owns working kelpies. All ours are chipped but not when we bought them we did it in case something happened and one got lost/stolen this is what i found looks like you need to talk to your council

There are exemptions from microchipping including bona fide

working dogs in certain areas within NSW, and Greyhounds

registered with the Greyhound Racing Authority. You should

contact your local council for further information regarding

exemptions.

From: http://www.wentworth.nsw.gov.au/services/a..._-_Brochure.pdf

Last time I looked into it the dog had to be either registered to a rural property address or the owner had to have evidence of owning property.

A primary producer registration or something.

Alternatively the dog had to be registered with an appropriate body Ie. greyhounds with their special one.

Working dogs with a state working dog registry or similar

That is what I have been told by council.

Thank you , some drip is selling ACD puppies unchipped saying working dogs don't need to be chipped but unless they are actually a working dog on a property they would not come under this.

There is a difference to a chip and registration and people ae mixing it up.

Also depends on the ranger as I know of a little mutt no bigger than a JRT listed as a workings dog, yes chipped but exempt from registration.

All our kelpies are microchipped, with our council working dogs don't have to be microchipped but council will come out and see if a dog is actually working as a working dog. If not working they have to be registered.

Smooch was never registered with council as he was passed as a working dog, but he probably should be registered now as he no longer works cattle due to the spinal stroke he had a few years ago which left him weak in the back end. but as he really loves to work his job now is to round up the ducks and gees late afternoon into their pen. So I suppose technically he is still working. LOL

Edited by smooch