Depressed Dog

RL1

What can you do to help a depressed dog ? My male rotty appears to be suffering from this. I work full time so he's home alone now that our beloved female passed away on Monday.

I had a similar problem years ago when one of mine died and the remaining dog went into a decline. In the end, the only thing that helped was getting another dog to keep her company...she perked up immediately. I hope your boy feels better soon (and you too). :hug:

Our kelpie was like this after OH's other dog died.. When I came onto the scene a few months later he was still really sad... He picked up a little bit, but he wasn't TRULY happy until our puppy came home the following November. He was very clingy and fretted if he was left alone, so he needed a mate. Some genuinely need a mate, others learn to cope on their own.

Sorry, can't offer much advice except to say time seems to help. I lost my male shepherd to gastric torsion (so very sudden) six weeks ago and Indi was VERY attached to him :) She still occasionally looks for him or waits for him before going down the back paddock as was their routine - I can see the look of confusion when he doesn't appear. I'm lucky to have a Goldie as well but Indi's first love was my shepherd - so I try to keep her very busy ie. lots of play, walks and fortunately she can also come to work with me. Getting her out of the house and away from routines that would remind her of my shepherd are also important, so when it comes to going to the back paddock I now go with her and make a huge game of it. I'm sure your boy will be picking up on your sadness too and from experience I know that's very hard to hide because if you're like me every time you look at him you will be reminded of the girl you lost :)

Sending huge :hug: to you and your rotty

Oh, it's so hard to see them grieve isn't it?

When I lost one of my dogs, the other had not known life without him as when I adopted her, Aussie had been with me since a young pup. So when he died suddenly (old age, but still sudden), Ruby was a bit 'lost' if I can put it that way. Truth be told, so was I (and the ex).

We decided to go find her a companion...and ended up adopting another shelter dog. Ruby picked up almost immediately - this was just a week after Aussie had gone, so very quickly after his death but we felt it was the right thing to do. It helped take our minds off things too.

You know your boy better than anyone else. Do what you think he needs...if that's a change to the routine, try that. If it's fostering or temporary care for another dog, try that. Whatever you think may help... :laugh:

Dogs are not meant to be alone IMO, and I used to have 1 dog and 2 cats but ever since I had 2 dogs I know I will never have a single dog again unless it can be with me all day like when I retire or if I become a tradie LOL. So the only answer I have is for you to get another dog - and like the others have said, the sad dog perks up almost immediately. I know sometimes it feels wrong to get another dog so quickly, but I feel its absolutely the right thing to do for the remaining dog.

If another dog is out of the question, there is doggie day care (your dog needs companionship) and dog walkers that come by while you are work - those will help some. Hugs to you and your dog for your sad loss. I know how heartbreaking it is.

Sorry to hear of you loss :grouphug:

I have recently been in this situation , i dont really know what to say that hasnt already been said . Its a tough time and your dog knows you are grieving as well . take some walks together in honour of the other dog (maybe his favourite place ) , and soon i am sure you will come up with some ideas that will help you both.

best wishes x

Agree with the others re getting another dog - or alternatively, I've taken my dogs to work with me and walked them through the day and it's worked a treat - keeps the brains stimulated and they are tired by the end of the day - a walk before work, morning tea (5 minutes), lunch (20 minutes) etc and they thrive - if you can see your way to keeping your dog close for a while...

Pop to the chemist and buy some Rescue Remedy in drop form. You can put it in his water and either drop into his mouth or on his head, several times a day. It is harmless and if you read about it, helps anxiety, depresssion etc - it helps me when I lose my babies and it helps my dogs too. A groomer friend of mine always gives it to the dogs before she starts.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm in shock myself, but at least i know why. It's a lot more difficult than i expected.

I really can't see myself getting another Rotty after this. As far as taking him to work with me, that's not an option either.

With his temperament, getting another dog, any dog, would be risky. He's been a problem child from day one so it's a difficult situation all round.

You could try a DAP diffuser too. You plug them into the wall and they release a calming pheromone. Some people swear by them, we have mixed results at work. Perhaps you could also try walking him before and after work, or leaving a big meaty bone for him?

RL1 - just give him time and keep the routine the same. As hard as it is don't cling to him and just try to enjoy him.

It was weeks before my boy (GSD) started to return to normal after the loss of our rottie - he had stopped eating and just layed on his bed most of the time. When he started to return to "normal" he even seemed to take on some of the personality of our rottie.