Hypothyroidism

With thyroid problems has anyone encounted lumps(I am talking ping pong ball sized ones) around the thyroid gland, parathyroid gland area. One side has a couple of lumps. The other side has at least three. Two are joined.

No hair loss as such, except dog is moulting anyway. A little listless, although age is a factor.

Will seek vets advice and get blood tests done as well as possible asperation, but thought there may be a doler with some helpful advice.

A bit of loose skin around throat and have only just noticed the lumps. No temp. Very hard on palpatation

Thanks

With thyroid problems has anyone encounted lumps(I am talking ping pong ball sized ones) around the thyroid gland, parathyroid gland area. One side has a couple of lumps. The other side has at least three. Two are joined.

No hair loss as such, except dog is moulting anyway. A little listless, although age is a factor.

Will seek vets advice and get blood tests done as well as possible asperation, but thought there may be a doler with some helpful advice.

A bit of loose skin around throat and have only just noticed the lumps. No temp. Very hard on palpatation

Thanks

Thyroid tumours can occur in dogs but they are not generally functional (ie. they are not associated with changes in thyroid hormone levels).

I think your current plan of vet check, bloods and assess the lumps with an FNA (if possible / indicated) is a good place to start).

Thanks

Thyroid tumours can occur in dogs but they are not generally functional (ie. they are not associated with changes in thyroid hormone levels).

I think your current plan of vet check, bloods and assess the lumps with an FNA (if possible / indicated) is a good place to start).

Many thanks Rappie

There are other possibilities as to what it could be as well :laugh: instead of thyroid but fingers and toes crossed that everything will be OK. Palpating the lumps does cause discomfort.

I am worried.

I have just ordered a book written by Dr Jean Dodds and Diana Laverdure and recently published.

The Canine Thyroid Epidemic: Answers You Need for Your Dog

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1617810169

Not sure if that would be helpful to you because I don't really know what's in it. I only know that I very much respect and trust the work and research Dr Jean Dodds has put into thyroid dysfunction in dogs and consequently feel it is worth getting for that reason alone.

I have just ordered a book written by Dr Jean Dodds and Diana Laverdure and recently published.

The Canine Thyroid Epidemic: Answers You Need for Your Dog

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1617810169

Not sure if that would be helpful to you because I don't really know what's in it. I only know that I very much respect and trust the work and research Dr Jean Dodds has put into thyroid dysfunction in dogs and consequently feel it is worth getting for that reason alone.

Thanks Erny.

Dr Dodds is most certainly an expert in the field.

Dog is not displaying other classic high/low thyroid symptoms(that I have read of) and I have a good general understanding of the endocrine system so maybe(just maybe) the thyroid is not to blame here.

But it is still a possibility.

Shall investigate further.

Any advice is welcome.