Weird Sounds

B-Q

From our house you can occasionally hear what sounds like a lot of medium-large breed dogs indoors a couple of km's from our house.

Its really weird, we hear it probably atleast once a day, all this distant barking/howling sounds that will go for usually less than a minute than stops abruptly. We've lived here for 18 months and its been going on the entire time. Buster and Mac ignore it but it sets Quinn off barking everytime.

We can't think for the life of us what is is, there are no boarding kennels around and and it doesn't sound like a lot of little dogs so we're thinking its not a mill, greyhounds maybe? But there isn't a track around here. We google mapped the area and can't see anything we think is odd.

Any ideas?

Its not a problem, we've just always been really curious as to what it was. Because they always sound like they're in a shed, we guessed greyhounds but didn't know if it would be because there arn't any hreyhound tracks around here as far as I know, no reason they couldn't travel with them thats all.

When I lived in a kennel zone we got similar 'chorus' behaviour from four neighboring greyhound breeders. The Rotti's next door also sang in chorus from time to time. As you describe, more howling than barking, several dogs together, not annoying .. . doesn't last long . . . not clear what sets it off. I don't remember ever hearing a chorus from any of the boarding kennels. I think it only happens with dogs who have been together for months to years.

If the sound is coming from a distance away, it is even likely that it is pets from different households responding to sirens. Perhaps you may not have heard the sirens but the dogs may have. This occurs from time to time in most neighbourhoods including ours, and the barking/howling can stop suddenly.

Some dogs react to sirens and other dogs howling, others do not. :hug:

Theres not a lot of dense population out the way its coming from, its mostly smallish farm blocks (10-15 acres) as far as I know.

It does make sense it could a greys though if there are trainers around here, wish Quinn would get used to it though and at the same time learn that dogs on youtube arn't really in the house and car horns on TV arn't cars at the gate.

When I was staying with my OH in the USA when I first met him, I would be sitting around the house at night while he was at work and hear this eerie sound, like slightly discordant notes from a rusty orchestra. I couldn't figure out what on earth it was as we were in the middle of nowhere surrounded by woods. Turns out the people in the next property raise gray wolves and what I could hear was about 30 of them all howling together. If it had been one or two I would have been able to identify it, but so many sounded so different!