Question About Boy Dogs!

PoppyDog

So we've only ever had Poppy. Our desexed CKCS X who is 15 months old.

We've got our first foster boy today (who we may adopt!) who is a CKCS boy who they think is also a year old. I think he might be older than that ... not sure.

Anyway, he's not desexed yet, the rescue group said they will prob do that in a week when he is settled in.

He's trying to mount Poppy and hump her. Not sure if she knows his intent but shes making it clear shes not into that. She hasn't snapped at him but she has moved in a way that knocks him off as soon as he jumps up.

Anyway...my Q is...Do I say "NO!" when he does this?

And will he still do it when he is desexed???

Its more likely to be dominance related than sexual - most entire male dogs know when a bitch is in season and ready to be mated. I would correct him when he does it.

ETA Poppy will probably "tell him off" when she gets sick of it which is also normal behaviour.

Edited by Janba

yes and

yes :)

probably humping a desexed dog is more of trying to dominate Poppy rather than a sexual thing. so loud sharp no and get him off, tell him that behaviour is not acceptable in your house, be consistent and he will get the message. My pup occassionally tries to do it to my female dog and if she doesn't get off with a sharp no I use my foot and gently push her down with a sharp no.

You may also like to strengthen your pack leadership for a bit too to make sure that he knows you are the boss not him. Just in case that the dominating is not just to Poppy but extends to you.

and good for you for fostering :thanks:

Don't let him have free run in the house - keep him on leash and make sure he follows the rules.It's Poppy's house- he is a guest, and should not be roaming and trying to boss her around . :)

If he is used to being crated...then do that , instead of leaving him.Freedom of a room/house is something to be earned ..... well, it is here, anyway .

Thanks everyone!

Will correct him from now on!

Will be crating him tonight because I'm not sure if he is house trained. I don't know if he is used to being crated but he has been in a pound so hoping he just sleeps happily in it! He is VERY calm and placid! WAAAAAY more than Poppy is which makes me think he is older than she is but who knows!

I don't know if we can give him up but we will see! :):thanks:

Oh and as for following the rules so far he has been VERY obedient! He knows sit and down. He doesn't DARE jump on the couch (which is something we allow anyway) and when we brought him up for a cuddle he snuggled us then jumped back down! He was definitely someones pet! So sad!!!

Edited by PoppyDog

poor little fellow :smurfanim:

I love crates for my foster dogs and I have never had, except for a few whinges for a few minutes, had any problems with them getting used to them. All my foster dogs have always slept in a crate during the night time and been put in there for short periods during the day as well. I think they find it a sanctuary for all that is going on, pop a quilt or something over the top of it and if it's not too hot cover the crate as well when it's bed time.

I think crates are also good so that Poppy can know that she is still the special one and give her some extra cuddles when the foster dog is in the crate.

Our Joey cavalier who is desexed sometimes tries to hump his Mother (who is desexed as well). I've put it down to dominance, or when he's very excited about going out for a walk lol. His Mother 'Renae' has on a few occasions done the same thing to him.

Both of them usually put up with it, but I have heard Renae snap at her son a few times.

Unless he's being really silly and continuing it lots of times, I usually ignore it and don't make a big issue out it. If he does I sternly tell him to stop it, and will usually distract him with something else.

I am not personally overly concerned about it..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Dogs will hump in play, because they're nervous, because they're excited, because it feels good, because they're rude... Any number of reasons.

Dominance theory in dogs is a bit of a fallacy, I wouldn't say he's trying to 'dominate' Poppy, but maybe likes it because it's fun and he hasn't been corrected for it in the past.

The best way is let the other dog tell him off.

I have had two entire bitches hump each other when one is in season. I have had baby puppies try to hump another.

I think some is dominance, some is just hormonal, and some is just because they can.

I found the best way is let the dog tell off the humper. If they are reluctant to do this, try to distract the dog doing the humping with something else rather than going crook at it.

You going crook at the dog only reinforces not to do it infront of you and can make the dog scared of you.