So Disappointed

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

I was out walking the dogs this morning, with the baby in her stroller. It was early & the streets were deserted. I was on a narrow road, and moved the dogs & pram further to the edge (no footpath) to allow a 4WD to go past me.

A second or two later, they brake HARD for a dog flying across the road in full-on arousal mode, heading straight for us. They saw all this, then casually drove off!!! Leaving me to deal with the dog. :love:

Now, I knew three things about this dog:

1. I know him, and he's sociable with other dogs

2. My dogs like him

3. He isn't interested in my daughter

But the guys in the car knew none of this.....what they saw was a very alert working breed charging across a road towards a lady with a baby in a stroller & two dogs.

Wouldn't any normal person go "Jeez, I hope that lady is going to be ok, we'd better stop in case that dog starts a fight/jumps on the pram/gets tangled with her dogs or pram."

Just very disappointed.

Thankfully the worst that happened was that I dragged the dog the 50m or so to his house (after he had caused me to crash the pram on the verge & get tangled with my own dogs) & stood & yelled up at his owners bedroom window until he woke up & came & got his dog, but they didn't stick around to know all this.

Wow it could have been sooo different. I think the what if scenario was so much more frightening. Yes they should of stopped to see if you needed help, and I am sorry to say not a lot of people would have.

I am so glad it was a friendly dog, but Grrrr to the owners letting it nearly get hit by a car, and for allowing to to escape in the first place. I have had one dog escape, but it was the first and last time, we made sure it was impossible to do it again.

I hope the pram didn't get damaged?

BF

Guest Willow
Wow it could have been sooo different. I think the what if scenario was so much more frightening. Yes they should of stopped to see if you needed help, and I am sorry to say not a lot of people would have.

I am so glad it was a friendly dog, but Grrrr to the owners letting it nearly get hit by a car, and for allowing to to escape in the first place. I have had one dog escape, but it was the first and last time, we made sure it was impossible to do it again.

I hope the pram didn't get damaged?

BF

The escaping is an ongoing issue....that's a whole other story.....and no, the pram wasn't damaged, thank you :love:

I wouldn't expect a member of the general public to realise there may be a potential situation. Most likely, he would have thought the dog was being "friendly" and wanted to say hello to you.

He probably also thought your dogs would "defend" your baby from this other dog.

They may have even thought the other dog was yours as well.

This is how most people think, it is sad, but its not really their fault.

Willow...I completely understand your dissapointment.

I recently had a situation walking 4 dogs and a GSD came to "say hello" (no where near as bad as having a baby I know). Lots of people going past not one person offered any assistance. Still dissapointing.

I really believe that if the driver was not a "doggy" person they would not have even realised that it was a potentially dangerous situation for you.

Thankfully it was not a bad outcome for you and your baby.

Edited by spyda62

A huge percentage of the population would have no idea about animals, and what motivates them, nor would they be interested .... their thought would simply have been that there was a dog running across the road.

Yup, might have thought it was your dog. Perhaps it looked friendly to them & they thought it was just coming to say hi. Or perhaps their brain was somewhere else & they just didn't put two and two together and realise you might be in danger.

I once fell badly while running with my last dog. It was a popular park, 2 men were walking their dog close by & NO-ONE stopped to see if I was ok. I was down for a few minutes & was bleeding. All I got was a big kiss from my dog, then I hobbled home.

Some people suck. :)

However, while running our dog in the same park my OH saw some idiot let his Newfie rush an old lady, he stopped to check if she was ok & give the owner a piece of his mind. :)

Over the years we have assisted quite a few people who are having trouble in some way. So not everyone sucks. :thumbsup:

Some people don't have a 'Can I help here!' antenna. I'd have been disappointed, too.

There are good people, tho'. Once I was walking 2 shelties on leads. A woman came along with an ACD, not on a lead. She had the leash over her arm! The ACD went into circle & snap action. Ignoring the woman's order to 'Come'. Shelties were terrified & kept turning to try to face the ACD, thus tying my legs in their leads.

Two blokes driving by in a truck, took it all in. Put on the brakes, jumped out. While one grabbed the ACD by the collar, the other untangled the leads around my legs. First bloke grabbed the lead off the woman's arm & put it on the ACD. Shoved it into her hand. I said 'Thank you!'...& they leapt back in the truck & off. Not a word did they say. They just did it!

Edited by mita

Once I was walking my boxer one lead when a staffy x dog charged out across a busy road to rush at us- it was very aroused and looked aggressive so I picked my boxer up and put her on my shoulders and kept walking... dog wouldnt leave us.. luckily a nice lady with a young child who were driving past stopped to help us! (she was a boxer fan apparently, but she held the dog off long enough for me and bondi to get away)

Some people can be nice :)

I wouldn't expect a driver to stop in that situation, a non-dog savvy person wouldn't even notice where the dog was headed or its body language.

I have had the luck of someone who did know what to do stop their car to help when one of mine was being monstered by a loose dog and I was very grateful to them. And I've had the opposite, abused recently by a driver who had to brake to avoid hitting a bolting loose dog. Apparently the fact that I was walking my 2 large dogs along the footpath on-lead at the time made me responsible for it. My reply to the driver was not particularly polite.

I also would not expect a car to stop simply because a dog rushed across the road. If Im driving and an animal bolts across in front of me Im looking at the road - yes you slam the brakes on even though you are not suppose to and you might or might not see where the dog/cat goes (or you might just see it up and fine in the background) and then keep going off up the road. When driving a drivers first thought should be to drive safely and if you are not in obvious distress (ie down onthe ground with dogs everywhere) how is someone going to know they even need to stop and it sounds like you were fine. You also dont see anything but the flash of an animal if you slam on the brakes you certainly have no time to see any body language (lucky to see colour and what it is).

Some people don't have a 'Can I help here!' antenna. I'd have been disappointed, too.

There are good people, tho'. Once I was walking 2 shelties on leads. A woman came along with an ACD, not on a lead. She had the leash over her arm! The ACD went into circle & snap action. Ignoring the woman's order to 'Come'. Shelties were terrified & kept turning to try to face the ACD, thus tying my legs in their leads.

Two blokes driving by in a truck, took it all in. Put on the brakes, jumped out. While one grabbed the ACD by the collar, the other untangled the leads around my legs. First bloke grabbed the lead off the woman's arm & put it on the ACD. Shoved it into her hand. I said 'Thank you!'...& they leapt back in the truck & off. Not a word did they say. They just did it!

that's just beautiful :)

Normal people (not doggy DOL people) would just drive away, probably saying stupid bloody dog, and/or feeling shaken by the near miss. They would not have given you or the dog a second thoought.

yeah, i was thinking that the driver [and passenger] were probably more concerned about the damage that might have happened to their car had they hit the dog!

I wouldn't expect a driver to stop in that situation, a non-dog savvy person wouldn't even notice where the dog was headed or its body language.

I have had the luck of someone who did know what to do stop their car to help when one of mine was being monstered by a loose dog and I was very grateful to them. And I've had the opposite, abused recently by a driver who had to brake to avoid hitting a bolting loose dog. Apparently the fact that I was walking my 2 large dogs along the footpath on-lead at the time made me responsible for it. My reply to the driver was not particularly polite.

that made me giggle :)

OP, i'm glad it was a happy ending ;)