Keeping A Dog With High Prey But Low Food Drive Entertained

Mav_1

My boyfriend owns a 7 y/o Fox Terrier, and we recently moved houses. In our previous house, we had a backyard that backed onto a national park and we seemed to have lots of lizards that she would chase and and birds to watch which she would occupy herself with whilst we are at work. Now we are living in the suburbs we have a backyard that she seems to find positively boring.

I've owned a Labrador in the past, so I know all the tricks of the trade to keeping a food motivated dog occupied whilst I'm at work, but they just don't seem to work on this girl. She doesn't even touch her kong - doesn't matter what I put in it, she's just not interested- She just wont eat anything!!

How can I keep her enteratined for the time that we are work each day? I'm open to all your suggestions (short of setting up my own lizard breeding program!! :confused: )

Lots of short training bursts whenever you are home! 5-10 minutes of training several times a day will occupy her brain .. long 'on leash walks' ..

There are probably toys out there which roll/bounce and will catch her attention ...

here is one you can use when home :confused:

LINK

I encourage clients to encourage their dogs to sleep during the day, when dogs would naturally sleep if left to their own devices. But interactive toys for dogs with lots of prey drive include spring poles, staffy balls, and there are even automatic tennis ball throwers with a bucket that your dog can be trained to put the balls back in.

If you set up a video cam on her you will probably find she, like most dogs, sleeps most of the time you're at work. So long as you can give her good interaction with training and or a walk in the mornings and again when you get home she should be fine. If you find she is digging or being destructive out of boredom you could make a digging pit for her and salt it with some toys and food.

My boyfriend owns a 7 y/o Fox Terrier, and we recently moved houses. In our previous house, we had a backyard that backed onto a national park and we seemed to have lots of lizards that she would chase and and birds to watch which she would occupy herself with whilst we are at work. Now we are living in the suburbs we have a backyard that she seems to find positively boring.

I've owned a Labrador in the past, so I know all the tricks of the trade to keeping a food motivated dog occupied whilst I'm at work, but they just don't seem to work on this girl. She doesn't even touch her kong - doesn't matter what I put in it, she's just not interested- She just wont eat anything!!

How can I keep her enteratined for the time that we are work each day? I'm open to all your suggestions (short of setting up my own lizard breeding program!! :confused: )

Does she like to tug? What about a bungee chook; http://www.aussiedog.com.au/products/dog_r...ok/bungee_chook

What about digging? If so a sandpit. Squeaky balls, "giggle' balls (that make a funny nosie as they're moved around, toys that bouce randomly when she thows them, balls on a rope that she can throw around (like an Orbee ball), realistic type soft toys...

Have a look here: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm

Try some latex toys with squeakers which can be thrown and rolled by the dog.

Ditto soft toys with squeakers inside. I had a metre long "rattlesnake" and whenever it moved, it rattled - great encouragement for dogs to play with it.

And as others have suggested, things hanging which the dog can "get"

The Aussie Dog toys are great. I have most of what is left of a Turbo Chook, had it for a number of years and have had three different dogs play with it, the latest being the pup who has a lot of drive and not so much food motivation.

They might be expensive but they are good quality and last :rofl:

My boy loves hunting for lizards too :) but he also sleeps 22 hours of the day too.

With Emmy, who also has high prey drive and low food drive, it's all about training that involves a lot of tug. Also I walk her every single morning, have a massive play session with her, then some training that includes a lot of tug (this is done usually between me getting ready for work) and by the time I leave, she should be settled enough where she usually sleeps or chew on her favourite toys.

I've really got the wrong yard for it but I did think about buying one to hire out to clients. It might also be useful for retrieve training, or... tennis!

:hug: Elbie's very good at putting the ball/toys into a box or basket so I'm sure he would love it. If we get it, I'll make sure I let you know how it goes although I do have a vision of accidentally braining a poor neighbour.