Potential To Compete/train

I wouldn't even play tug, if we didn't have give/geddit sorted.

Retreive though - I think I will have to use the 50 point breakdown to get that reliable. Sometimes she does, and sometimes she doesn't. Mostly she chases the object, and then does one of several things like - a few victory laps, sitting down and ripping the fetch object to bits, or just wandering off to do something else, or comes back to me without it, and every now and again we string a few where she comes back with it - whoo hoo. Not interested in jackpot treats at this point, just another throw. Sigh.

I guess it depends on how important it is to you.

Dogs that stuff around at my place get put on a long line so they can't victory lap or destroy the toy, and dogs who don't bring it back don't get another throw until they learn. :shrug: However this is all OT...sorry about that.

Tugging can be trained, as well as playing in a strange environment. Of course it's easier if the dog loves tugging to begin with, but I wouldn't rule out a dog just because it doesn't like to tug. It's easily trained with a clicker and treats, and then it becomes self-reinforcing.

I am meeting a dog on saturday who is 6/7 months old who needs a new home. I would like to compete in obedience with the dog and maybe do a little bit of retrieving. I know its hard to see the dogs potential in one meeting but what characteristics do I look for in the dog? I got lucky with my lab as he is very very eager to please.

If you're after a competition dog I'd prioritise sociability, boldness, quickness of recovery if he is startled, & willingness to play. Plus good physical structure.

Example is Millie, I got her as a 2 year old and she had no interest in toys or play, especially not in her first days settling in! Over a couple of months, she learnt to love her squeaky ball, and brought it back to have it thrown again. I shaped the obedience retrieve, and now that I am starting retrieving with her, she is racing out for approx 100m marks already and bringing them back with just as much gusto as she races out to it. I don't foresee too many issues to graduating to longer marks (birds may be another issue :shrug:) Retrieving instinct is sometimes hidden I guess, and it takes nurturing and time for it to come out :) Don't be alarmed if the dog doesn't want to play in the first meeting, or even within the first couple of weeks while he is settling in.

I think that can be the case RS but if I had my heart set on a retrieving dog, wouldn't you want to see a retrieving instinct in the dog before you bought it home rather than chancing it or making your job potentially harder?

Tugging can be trained, as well as playing in a strange environment. Of course it's easier if the dog loves tugging to begin with, but I wouldn't rule out a dog just because it doesn't like to tug. It's easily trained with a clicker and treats, and then it becomes self-reinforcing.

In a potential dog sports dog (now I know nothing about retrieving so I am just talking about what I'd want to see when picking a new dog) I'd want a dog that either displayed a lot of workable prey drive (chasing/tugging a toy) OR a lot of food drive. If the dog didn't obviously have either of those things I wouldn't be taking it home with me, same with if the dog shut down in a new environment or didn't engage with me or didn't display a workable amount of food or prey drive.

Edited by huski

Most important thing for me is that he gets along wuth the other dog and then 2nd important is obedience to me. Would like to do retrieving but i dont know how much time i will get to train it with new job. But yeah obedience is the thing i enjoy most.

Example is Millie, I got her as a 2 year old and she had no interest in toys or play, especially not in her first days settling in! Over a couple of months, she learnt to love her squeaky ball, and brought it back to have it thrown again. I shaped the obedience retrieve, and now that I am starting retrieving with her, she is racing out for approx 100m marks already and bringing them back with just as much gusto as she races out to it. I don't foresee too many issues to graduating to longer marks (birds may be another issue :hug:) Retrieving instinct is sometimes hidden I guess, and it takes nurturing and time for it to come out :cry: Don't be alarmed if the dog doesn't want to play in the first meeting, or even within the first couple of weeks while he is settling in.

I think that can be the case RS but if I had my heart set on a retrieving dog, wouldn't you want to see a retrieving instinct in the dog before you bought it home rather than chancing it or making your job potentially harder?

Definitely, I was never arguing that point. I was responding to RallyValley who stated while instinct is important, some can be taught to do things as well. I never had my sights on retrieving with Millie (I can't, she's an Associate registered dog), we're training it for pure enjoyment. While I personally will never get another rescue/adult dog (unless under specific circumstances ie. great dog on offer with the instinct you and others here are referring to), I got very lucky with Millie. She's a fantastic dog to train, very motivated and willing to please. She doesn't tug, so she is motivated with treats, squeaky ball, and pats/praise from me :( She is doing better than my dog I got as a pup :D

Edited by RubyStar

Hmm for a retriever doing retrieveing trials it's akin to a herding dog doing sheepdog trials, the dog has to have the instinct and enjoy/love it or there is no way the dog will run out 300m through a river, up a steep hill into long grass and back just to get a bird to bring back to you (and that's at a novice level :D )

Soft mouth, marking the fall, not bothered by gun shot... so many little things that would be such a hassle to have to train.

I regret not doing formal retrieving with my Golden earlier. He's fit, but he's old and he'll only perform so many retrieves before he wants to have a little rest :hug: It's so much easier to train a dog who doesn't want to stop, like my GSD, but her mouth is very hard, she doesn't mark long falls, doesn't get along with other dogs and isn't eligible to compete - being a herding dog :cry: Other than those things she would be perfect.

Listen, I have an aunty to this particular puppy that Mason is looking at, and she and her brother are fantastic at obedience and retrieving, plus, have the most wonderful temperaments you could wish for.

Go with your instinct Mason and if the pup is the one for you, you will know it. All these suggestions could go on for days and just confuse you. As I said before the bloodline is there for a great dog, and I think Paddy has turned out ok, hasn't he ? If Mason (dog) gets on ok with him, which I think he will, then it will be just up to how you feel about the pup. Ignore the cap gun stuff, and noise testing, you can cover that later (I will even help you if you want). It just isn't necessary at this stage. As long as the pup is not sickly, and has not been abused then it is worth seriously considering. Hope you have fun tomorrow.

Listen, I have an aunty to this particular puppy that Mason is looking at, and she and her brother are fantastic at obedience and retrieving, plus, have the most wonderful temperaments you could wish for.

Go with your instinct Mason and if the pup is the one for you, you will know it. All these suggestions could go on for days and just confuse you. As I said before the bloodline is there for a great dog, and I think Paddy has turned out ok, hasn't he ? If Mason (dog) gets on ok with him, which I think he will, then it will be just up to how you feel about the pup. Ignore the cap gun stuff, and noise testing, you can cover that later (I will even help you if you want). It just isn't necessary at this stage. As long as the pup is not sickly, and has not been abused then it is worth seriously considering. Hope you have fun tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow. Mason will love him, I just have to see how keen he will be to love Mason! Sure he is going to be great and I am really happy that we can offer him a home :hug:

I thought you were getting an 8 week old puppy in june Mas?

Lots of training organisations put a lot of faith in the retrieval test as dogs that are willing to go fetch and bring an item to you, are likely to turn out to be good working dogs (in their experience).

What colour is he :hug:

I thought you were getting an 8 week old puppy in june Mas?

Lots of training organisations put a lot of faith in the retrieval test as dogs that are willing to go fetch and bring an item to you, are likely to turn out to be good working dogs (in their experience).

What colour is he :confused:

He is a golden retriever :laugh: he is the darker colour one

Hey Mason 2009, Jenna would have been a major fail on all of the tick boxes of selecting an ideal dog, other than the fact that she was the breed, colour, sex I wanted, and I could get her Main registered at a price I could afford. While she's far from the perfect performance dog (probabaly because she has been spoilt rotten by me and I'm not a good trainer) she couldn't be a more perfect dog for me personality wise and as you know is very much my heart dog. Go with your gut feeling for the dog, while no dog comes with any guarentees on how it will be performance wise how it fits into your life in general 24/7 will be the best desider. Are you able to perhaps take him home on a trail basis for a couple of weeks to see how he and Mason get on in a variety of situations and see how well Mason accepts another dog sharing his humans 24/7, that way you can also assess wether there are any issues with the pup fitting into your lives. Good luck and we all want to see pictures ASAP if you decide that Chance is the right dog for you. :confused:

2 of my dogs have had their second home with me and both achieved O Ch. Cody was a lovely BC who sadly died from cancer when he was 6 1/2. I never did any testing other than meeting him and we just meshed. Same with Brookie who was 9 months old. Never did any testing...he got on with everyone and was happy to be with us...good enough for me!

If you like him and he likes you and Mason you'll be fine. If he is foody even better for training.

Can't wait to hear how you went! I think it's easier if you have a few pups to compare but agree that you have to be able to live with the dog. In terms of tests, I try to keep "potential" in the back of mind and remember that dogs need guidance to bring their talents to the fore.

I remember asking LL how to choose my ESS pup - her comment was that the litter comes from such good working lines that, as long as pup didn't have 5 legs or 2 heads, I'd be fine :confused: That said, I picked my pup nearly immediately because she stood out straight away plus I just fell in :laugh:

Can't wait to hear how you went! I think it's easier if you have a few pups to compare but agree that you have to be able to live with the dog. In terms of tests, I try to keep "potential" in the back of mind and remember that dogs need guidance to bring their talents to the fore.

I remember asking LL how to choose my ESS pup - her comment was that the litter comes from such good working lines that, as long as pup didn't have 5 legs or 2 heads, I'd be fine :confused: That said, I picked my pup nearly immediately because she stood out straight away plus I just fell in :laugh:

We will see how it goes, we only meeting later this arvo. When I picked Mason I chose him as he kept bringing me sticks, leaves and toys, he seemed to be a natural at carrying things in his mouth :(

Hey Mason 2009, Jenna would have been a major fail on all of the tick boxes of selecting an ideal dog, other than the fact that she was the breed, colour, sex I wanted, and I could get her Main registered at a price I could afford. While she's far from the perfect performance dog (probabaly because she has been spoilt rotten by me and I'm not a good trainer) she couldn't be a more perfect dog for me personality wise and as you know is very much my heart dog. Go with your gut feeling for the dog, while no dog comes with any guarentees on how it will be performance wise how it fits into your life in general 24/7 will be the best desider. Are you able to perhaps take him home on a trail basis for a couple of weeks to see how he and Mason get on in a variety of situations and see how well Mason accepts another dog sharing his humans 24/7, that way you can also assess wether there are any issues with the pup fitting into your lives. Good luck and we all want to see pictures ASAP if you decide that Chance is the right dog for you. :confused:

Know how you feel, Mason is my heart dog and it will take a pretty special dog to top him in my books :laugh: