Dumb Question Re Hip Scoring And Breed Average

angelsophie

Hi guys

so I need to get my boy scored. A couple of questions though - dumb ones I guess. Is there an unbiased way of finding out a breed average so I know whats acceptable? I havent had to do this before and nope not got him paired off already :thumbsup: Hes just turned two today and were just looking at getting his testing done :(

So on this topic can anyone recommend a vet for xraying? I am located in newcastle. Obviously closer to home would be better but can do sydney if need to. Only doing this once.

Off to see if I can google how it all works :(

Ta

Bec

EFS

Edited by angelsophie

You could also try Phillip Adams at Adamstown vets - I've never done hips with him before but he has in the past gone over and above the call of duty regarding my dogs and I highly recommend him. Plus their facilities are excellent.

As for the Breed average, you can source that through the AVA. Link HERE

Just a reminder, the breed average is only calculated on those dogs that are in the system, it does not take in to account those dogs that have not been scored nor does it take in those scores that are not submitted into the system. Just something to be aware of.

The example I will give you is the "Breed Average" currently for the Rottweiler is about 10, I know that this is not a true reflection as I am aware of many scores that are not put into the system. I would suspect that the "Breed Average" is much higher due to these higher scoring hips not being in the numbers. Based on that I know that the "Breed Average" for the Rottweiler is and should be much higher than listed.

Good luck with the xrays!!!!

Edited to add link for Breed Average

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

As for the Breed average, you can source that through the AVA. Link HERE

Just a reminder, the breed average is only calculated on those dogs that are in the system, it does not take in to account those dogs that have not been scored nor does it take in those scores that are not submitted into the system. Just something to be aware of.

The example I will give you is the "Breed Average" currently for the Rottweiler is about 10, I know that this is not a true reflection as I am aware of many scores that are not put into the system. I would suspect that the "Breed Average" is much higher due to these higher scoring hips not being in the numbers. Based on that I know that the "Breed Average" for the Rottweiler is and should be much higher than listed.

Good luck with the xrays!!!!

Edited to add link for Breed Average

Look at the labradodles, they rank the 7 most numerous 'breed' to be score for hips!!!!!

That certainly puts their breeders in with the KC elite breeders who are actively screening for HD!! :banghead:

Wow I am very surprised at the very low number of dogs being scored. Even for breeds known to have real problems with HD.

Also very surprised at how low some of the breed averges are.

I would agree with your assesment and say you could double the average breed values, at least for some of the breeds I have worked with.

I would also say a lot more breeders need to be screening their dogs and actually submit their less than perfect xrays for scoring.

I really don't like these breed average system to reflect what is going on in the breed, even less for deciding what dogs to breed. Then factor in very poor compliance to testing and with reporting affected dogs so low.

I think what is more helpful is to know the how many dogs are in each range of scores, affected, not affected and excellent hips (less than AVA 5 is usually used for this).

For example if you have 20% in the excellent range, and say 4% affected, then the breed is in good shape. You should be selecting for normal hips but the pressure if off a bit and other areas of the breeding program can take a higher position in selection. However if you have 1% of dogs with excellent hips and 20% affected rate, then this breed is in big trouble and breeding for improvement in hips is a priority. You can also run these same numbers for your own breeding program or lines to help in breeding decsions.

Edited by shortstep