Herding Western Sydney

we recently rescued a 15 month old Kelpie, who seems to love herding. Is there any where in the western sydney where we can go to learn how to teach us to herd. And where he can do what he loves.

Also I read somewhere that it could be cruel if you only take your dog herding on one off occasions, whats your thoughts on that?

Cheers.

There is herding every Sat and Sun at the DogsNSW gounds at Erskine Park

Sat - is run by the Sporting Committee and for insurance purposes you need to be a DogsNSW member. Training costs $5 per dog and runs 9-3

Sun is run by the Australian Stockdog Club and you need to be a member. $28 per year membership and $5 joining fee though at this time f the yrae it will probably only be $14 membership. Training costs $3 and is 9-3

Hawkesbury Working Sheepdog Club trains on a Sat morning behind Hawkesbury Racecourse but last I heard membership was closed due to numbers.

Training on and off does no harm to the dogs but it does make progressing slower just like any other activity you do with your dog. The boy I train lives to work sheep and has just had 3 months off (saw sheep twice in that time) and when I took him back to training on Sat he worked beautifully and calmly.