Patchy Coat

Over the past 3 weeks or so, Archie has developed these light patches on his coat. He's been shedding a bit (more than usual anyway) lately, what do people think this may be ?

He is two, both sire & dam are chocolate but not sure what the dominant gene is ? He's a pet, not a show or breeding dog but just wondering ...

Any thoughts appreciated !

patch2.jpg

Same thing happens to my red doberman from time to time. I think it happens to him for two reasons, bleaching from the sun, as we've only seen it on the top parts of him that would be most exposed, and also when he is changing over his coat - ie they're dead hairs. I typically find that I can pull strands of the lighter fur out very easily, but not so easily that a brush would remove them.

I've heard that it can also be a copper or some mineral deficiency but if you know he has a full diet I wouldn't worry about that.

Millie's coat looks like that when she is having a major shed. If you can pinch at those lighter spots and pull out clumps of hair, it's just dead undercoat. Keep brushing! Once I get all Millie's out, she is back to a rich dark chocolate again. She usually has those patches around October-December.

Will love to know the answer :)

I have a black dog and his coat is like that (in chocolate too!) and its not dead coat. Drives me nuts.

Yes my black lab is the same atm!!!

Wish mine was 'atm' only but its been a good 12 months and its not sunbleached or dead coat or coat change :eek: - just thin and brown and sheds a lot.

Thanks everyone for your answers ! I think it is dead coat - I had just never seen this before.

I gave him a good go with the furminator yesterday and it got caught a bit on those patches but with some extra goes, they seem to have improved. Will furminate again in a few days and hopefully that will get rid of any excess dead hair.

Soon he will be rich chocolatey and ready to eat !

Guest english.ivy

My liver Pointer has this on him at the moment.

But he has a really short thin coat and doesn't get brushed, just a pat gets his loose hair out, so I leave it alone.

I thought it was his adult coat coming through, that maybe he was going to lighten as he aged?