Weaning And Soaked Dry

Paptacular!

Hello

My litter is 5 weeks old today. For the past week they've been fed on turkey mince and puppy milk, as well as having the occasional top up from Mum (she's getting very over it!)

When is it best to introduce soaked dry food, and after that, when to introduce straight dry? Is the Advance Puppy that comes in those puppy packs fine to soak?

Hello

My litter is 5 weeks old today. For the past week they've been fed on turkey mince and puppy milk, as well as having the occasional top up from Mum (she's getting very over it!)

When is it best to introduce soaked dry food, and after that, when to introduce straight dry? Is the Advance Puppy that comes in those puppy packs fine to soak?

Our puppies were 5 weeks on Thursday and they have been having the Advance puppy growth for a few days now.(under supervision.) We never give our puppies soaked dry food. We just introduce the dry food as is once their teeth are coming through. It's great exercise for their mouth and jaw. Just remember to always have fresh water available as they will get very thirsty. They are also having Advance puppy tin. Their poos are always firm and dark.

Soaked is fine for the tiny/toy breeds to start off with. Another thing you can do if you feel the pieces are still a bit too big is to put them in a plastic bag, tie, put on a chopping board & bash with a meat tenderiser/hammer etc.

This breaks it up smaller. It is scary if the toy breeds choke at 5 weeks as there is not really any room for manouvre in their tiny mouths if anything goes wrong.

I start my guys off with Royal Canin Starter, I put it in a 'Bullet Blender' thingie and crush/mush/blend until it's a crunchy powder, I mix with Bio-Lac and serve as a sloppy porridge from about 3 weeks, to begin with they kind of just lap the milk out of it and Mum cleans the rest up, as the days/weeks progress I make the Starter coarser and less milk until I'm am not crushing it at all and they are getting it dry, then I introduce fresh meats later once they are content with eating dry.

I've got min pin puppies and am having a hard time weaning ME onto all-dry kibble! :thumbsup: The pieces are small, but still quite a challenge for their tiny mouths so rather than soaking it I mix a bit of mince (raw) with enough water to make it "spreadable" and just toss it through the dry. This gets their nose working and once they've licked all the mince off they then chew on the dry (which is still mostly dry).

The crushing idea is a great one - I will start trying that I think so that they don't get so dependent on the "gravy". :thumbsup:

BTW - mine are on Advance puppy too. I assume the puppy packs I got for the min pins would be the same as the ones you have for the paps.

In the meantime..throw them some whole chicken wings..so they can learn to CHEW, not slurp wet food :rofl:

Each to their own but I would be wary of giving a toy breed a wing at 5 weeks.

If they manage to get a bit of bone or skin off with those needle sharp teeth & they start to choke it would be awful.

I soaked my Advance dry because the Growth Puppy Food was a bit on the large size compared to some I had in the past (even for small breeds) and they soon moved on to the unsoaked as they got older.

In the meantime..throw them some whole chicken wings..so they can learn to CHEW, not slurp wet food :rofl:

Each to their own but I would be wary of giving a toy breed a wing at 5 weeks.

If they manage to get a bit of bone or skin off with those needle sharp teeth & they start to choke it would be awful.

Yeah Toys need Quail or Squab wings LOL :)

Advance Rehydratable is the best ive found to start puppies on, its very small sized pieces are a perfect size for babies

Yep that's what I started my babies on too Bulldust,I started them of on it by soaking it, but by the time they left for their new home they where eating it dry mixed with mince. :laugh:

Edited by Baileys mum