Hyperactive Show Dog - Advice?

japtzu

Hi all,

I have an extremely hyperactive show dog. She absolutely LOVES being shown and is so excited at the shows (particularly on the table) that she wont stand still for more than 30 seconds and has blown her chances for the group many a time. I have tried a couple of the herbal remedies for "hyperactivity" but nothing seems to settle her down. Walking her to try and tire her a little doesnt have any affect either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that could be used to "take the edge off" her excitability???

Thanks in advance.

I agree with poodle fan. I trained my hyperactive kelpie to stand still by making it into a big game. I would ask for a short stand, if she managed to be still she got a crazy run round the yard/throw treats and generally go nuts reward. If she moved, I went into another room and ignored her. In the end she would run up to me and stand still looking at me in order to earn her crazy reward. I was also doing a similar thing with gaiting and when she did both I added them together.

She still often goes nuts outside the ring but she has it together in the ring, doing it this way didn't diminish her flair in the ring, and she still has plenty of energy but it is controllable :laugh:

IMO you don't want to take the edge off- because that is what catches the judges eye you just want to contain it a little!!

Edited by ~Woofen~

Depends what breed of dog you have. The first line of the Schipperke standard says "intensely lively & alert" so I need my girls to show that in the ring. What sort of dog are you showing? If it is a breed that's supposed to be placid and look boring in the ring, you could try rescue remedy. I have used this with great success. A couple of squirts on the tongue about an hour before you hit the ring will help, depending on the size on the dog, a little bit more if it's a large dog.

Agreed, train her to hold the stack for longer.

I did it with my male Whippet who's tail goes most of the time. He did extremely well when I showed him a few weeks ago and whilst I had to reposition a foot a couple of times it was a vast improvement!

She can have a hyper moment after she has done well as a reward.

What breed??

Its a Japanese Chin.

I have tried the training to stand longer and it helped "minimally". I also tried the reward system in that she can race/jump around after she has behaved and after we have been in the ring - still with only minimal results.

I agree that her spark is a huge part of her being a great showdog, but it just needs to be toned down a smidge.

Also tried rescue remedy, anxiety drops (meant to balance emotions), hyperactivity drops - and none had any effect. The anxiety ones actually made her worse!!! lol.

I do prefer her that way rather than a tail between her legs though!! But a happy medium would be ideal.

With training for the staying still longer it needs to be worked up to an reinforced every step of the way. For her it honestly might be in 1 to 3 second increments. It needs to be HIGHLY reinforced. don't think she is doing well Iw ill get her to stand for a minute it won't work.

Duration first

Show stackers may help to get her more likely to stand still but I have never used them so cannot really comment.

Maybe u need to crack down a lil more.. my guys have just came out of puppy now in jrn.. so iv cracked down a lil more..

Mine would gait then hop skip n jump lol!! I cant use bait cos they go to crazy for it so i use prase..

My show stackers have been a godsin for table work.. i love them and have helped alot!