Yucca Extract For Plaque Prevention--where Do I Buy It?

I have bought a 237ml bottle of EZ DOG Plaque Off which contains Purified water, Anthium Dioxide, Yucca Schidigera, Mint oil and Sodium benzoate...this bottle cost me $24.95

It is the Yucca extract I am after, as it appears to be good for a plaque preventative/remover and also good for digestion, so does anyone know where I can buy some extract or powder I can add to the dogs drinking water?... it seems ridiculous to be adding purified water to their drinking water... I reckon I am paying megadollars for that purified water :-)

Does it remove the plaque, or just whiten it so it doesn't look as bad?

My boy needs a dental clean and I'd love something like this if it was about cleaning his teeth with it (and if it actually was proven to remove plaque). But I don't agree with tainting water to have them drink chemicals and I'll go the Veterinary path with GA to have his teeth cleaned properly, in preference to that.

Edited by Erny

This is the info about it.....I have put in bold the part that is most relevant to me

Using a special blend of ingredients, this product helps eliminate plaque and tartar build-up and odor causing compounds in your pet's digestive system.

What Makes it Work

Yucca Schidigera, a natural Yucca plant extract, combined with Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide, makes Plaque Off very effective. Yucca aids in the absorption of important nutrients, which decreases odors. It reduces breath and waste odors caused by ammonia based compounds and reduces urine acidity, which prevents brown grass stains. Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide is an oxidizing agent which enhance the exchange of oxygen at the cellular level. It oxidizes hydrogen sulfide and ammonia molecules which reduces breath and waste odors. In the mouth Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide breaks up food films to help prevent plaque and tartar build up.

Thanks Boronia. I get what they say, but I don't trust what they say. I'd like to know more on *how* it "eliminates" plaque. Not suggesting you have to tell me or prove it, but just voicing my scepticism. And the fact that I don't like the thought of dogs having to imbibe the stuff into their system.

This is the info about it.....I have put in bold the part that is most relevant to me

Using a special blend of ingredients, this product helps eliminate plaque and tartar build-up and odor causing compounds in your pet's digestive system.

What Makes it Work

Yucca Schidigera, a natural Yucca plant extract, combined with Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide, makes Plaque Off very effective. Yucca aids in the absorption of important nutrients, which decreases odors. It reduces breath and waste odors caused by ammonia based compounds and reduces urine acidity, which prevents brown grass stains. Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide is an oxidizing agent which enhance the exchange of oxygen at the cellular level. It oxidizes hydrogen sulfide and ammonia molecules which reduces breath and waste odors. In the mouth Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide breaks up food films to help prevent plaque and tartar build up.

What that suggests is that the Yucca isn't doing anything directly to reduce tartar build up you bolded. Given that Yucca is generally used as a healthy fibre supplement (often replacing beet pulp) and to reduce the smell of urine and faeces. You could source it in a premium kibble instead and not be adding chlorine dioxide (which is the active tartar reducing ingredient in the liquid) to the diet.

Edited by poodlefan

Diet is better then additives any day

I completely agree, although sometimes it is not a choice. What I mean is that sometimes dogs can't eat the diets we'd rather for teeth cleaning benefits.

in 20 years we've never had a dog that needed that stuff. My oldest dog is 7 and has minimal staining on her teeth.

Diet is better then additives any day

Sadly bones don't always do the trick. My smallest poodle eats as many as the other dogs but has shocking tartar buildup. :laugh: She gets annual cleaning and scaling.

:laugh: When i saw this topic i thought it said yucca extract for Plague prevention lol

Yep..laugh your head off aussielover, so did I when I realised I had written plague before I woke up to my mistake

Thanks Boronia. I get what they say, but I don't trust what they say. I'd like to know more on *how* it "eliminates" plaque. Not suggesting you have to tell me or prove it, but just voicing my scepticism. And the fact that I don't like the thought of dogs having to imbibe the stuff into their system.

Hi Erny, I have only used around 1/2 the bottle so I can't be sure BUT as I bought one of the double-ended dental picker-thingies from Sway and was using that on Daisy (she is good to do stuff on, so easy to work with) I notice that she had a fair bit of tartar on her canines and some molars. I picked around for a bit then tapped the tartar with the steel handle of the nail clippers (well...they were handy) and the tartar crumbled off.

Maybe the product loosens the tartar or maybe I was just lucky.

Penny has to have her teeth done fairly regularly as she only has a few on one side and 3 bottom ones at the front, so some of her molars haven't got the corresponding tooth to grind against.

She has lost he front teeth from chewing her wire cage when she belonged to a BYB

I will continue giving them the product until it's finished and then give an update but I won't be buying it again. (thinks...I must NOT believe all the advertising on dog products)

I dont mean just bones that do the trick. Cheap foods that contain colours and other junk dont help. Brushing teeth, scraping them yourself and providing other objects that can be gnawed or chewed can do the trick too. Get plaque early enough it should just crumble off anyway unless its been there a while then it's a pain to grind away during a dental.

I notice that she had a fair bit of tartar on her canines and some molars. I picked around for a bit then tapped the tartar with the steel handle of the nail clippers (well...they were handy) and the tartar crumbled off.

Maybe the product loosens the tartar or maybe I was just lucky.

you can buy proper tartar scrapers online. If your dog lets you have a pick at her teeth often and meanwhile just use a kids toothbrush and some bicarb soda

My grandmothers jack russell x doesnt get bones, all he gets is carrots to gnaw on since he's a massive fatty boombah. His teeth after over 10 years are not junky or caked with plaque although after telling them to stop feeding canned food his teeth are not as stained.

you can buy proper tartar scrapers online. If your dog lets you have a pick at her teeth often and meanwhile just use a kids toothbrush and some bicarb soda

I've not ever used scrapers myself. Is there a skill, or is it just a matter of scraping away? My dog's rear molers are badly affected. I could get to the outside of them .... getting all around them would be awkward. With the bicarb .... use it dry?

Sorry to be asking my own questions on this, but obviously I have reason to be interested. Can I damage the enamel of the tooth if I do my own scraping and use bicarb?

... I bought one of the double-ended dental picker-thingies from Sway and was using that on Daisy (she is good to do stuff on, so easy to work with) I notice that she had a fair bit of tartar on her canines and some molars. I picked around for a bit then tapped the tartar with the steel handle of the nail clippers (well...they were handy) and the tartar crumbled off. ...

When you're scraping, can you actually see where you've been? I mean, can you see it making a difference as you go?

The problem with DIY scaling is that you don't get under the gum line - it's not tartar on the wider area of the tooth that causes gingivitis but the sub gum stuff.

So you may improve the cosmetic appearance of the tooth while damage is still being done. :thumbsup:

baking soda you make into a 'toothpaste' consistency paste with water.

I know the scraper wont get in under the gum but soft brushing everyday at the gumline is better then nothing, then scraping off the big bits with the scraper. Start at the gumline and work down the tooth so you dont stab the dog

Erny Nylabone make dental chew toys, they have little nobbles on them so you can smear them with something your boy likes to get him interested.

http://www.naturalicious.com.au/index.asp

this company make novel protein dental chews as well.