Eic In Border Collies

zenchel

This morning I received an email from Katie Minor at the University of Minnesota with a link to the information page re EIC in Border Collies and also information about a shipping point in Australia for anyone interested in participating.

UMinn Border Collie EIC

On the right hand side of the front page are details about sending samples from Australia.

Out of interest, the symptoms before and during collapse look nothing like those that occur in EIC in Labradors.

Sylvia

Thanks for posting.

I have observed exactly what the page describes & the videos show a number of times now in both BC's & kelpies.

I still can't help thinking that there is a link between EIC & work ethic. It would be very interesting to conduct the same study on a few other breeds.

Oh wow, I've seen a dog have a mild case of that (matches the video anyway). I never would have connected it to EIC given there is no collapse though!

I have no doubt that the example I've seen was simply a case of the dog pushing itself too far (and the owners letting it).

It will be an interesting to hear the results of that study.

I still can't help thinking that there is a link between EIC & work ethic. It would be very interesting to conduct the same study on a few other breeds.

Absolutely - the problem with getting a handle on EIC in Labs is that so many dogs that are EIC DNA affected never collapse - the reason being (in my experience) they don't push themselves hard enough. I have several DNA affecteds that have never collapsed - maybe they're too laid back? Those of mine that have collapsed are really driven. Also, I think maybe they learn to self regulate once they've collapsed a couple of times. I also have a couple of dogs that I'm sure would collapse if they had a double dose of the mutation to do it, but they don't (thankfully!!).

Also, I think maybe they learn to self regulate once they've collapsed a couple of times.

that's interesting, I have heard many people say just the opposite of bc's & kelpies. Many say that the more episodes they have, the more often they are likely to happen.

My observations would support more what Vickie says re BCs. Its highly likely my young girl might have EIC but we manage to avoid collapse episodes by being extra careful. She certainly does not self regulate her exercise but I now play it super safe and we don't do a lot of fetch activities outside of places like the beach where she has access to water. Half a dozen throws of a frisbee is all she is allowed and then she is put back on-lead.

She also wears a cool coat for a lot of the year when out exercising (or at least I have it on hand).

Its a very scary experience the first few times you witness it. I have also been told the more collapse episodes they have the easier it is for them to collapse in the future.

She is still training in agility and obedience but we don't train for very long and I am certainly very careful with what we do do.

I also do think its related to work ethic and personality type. It was interesting I raised the discussion with my girls breeder who had at the time Kenz had her first couple of episodes still had some of her siblings (and runs a boarding kennel and had other siblings stay). Her comment was that none of her dogs (or any of my girls litter siblings) would retrieve more then a couple of times before giving her the fury finger. They just didn't get themselves that worked up. I don't think she is a super intense dog in comparison to some but she would retrieve until you stopped throwing the toy if given that option.

Edited by ness

Guest Clover

I have been reading these threads with interest. What happens to Tinny (and on the very rare occasion her brother) is just like in the videos, stiff gait, unfocused, dragging hind legs etc. And mainly on warm days after playing ball or frisbee, all it can take is 5 mins of fetching back and forth to bring it on. Tinny is a pretty highly strung dog, gets excited very easily and is quite obsessed with fetching (typical crazy BC :laugh: ).