Immunisation Protocols & The Older Dog

Stitch

In the old days, I did all puppy vacs then I immunised yearly until age 8, then nothing.

These days I do all puppy vaccs, one annual booster then the three yearly C3 plus annual kc nasal.

I did titres annually for a couple of years, but then my vet confessed that the results could be skewed because a low antibody reading did not necessarily mean that the dog was not sufficiently protected. If my understanding is correct, then there only need to be a few antibodies "loose" in the system and if the immune system itself is strong, then they will multiply rapidly to meet the specific disease threat.

I was told that a high reading usually meant that the disease had been encountered by that dog recently so the antibodies had multiplied successfully thwarting it. So if the dog hasn't encountered the disease in whatever time-frame before the test, it might look like they need re-vaccinating, when that isn't the case. :thumbsup:

Anyway, that put me off doing titres.

I think a lot depends on breed/line history of sensitivity, how much and how often your dogs are exposed plus your relationship with your vet. It's not neccessarily one size fits all.

I have always continued to immunise my older dogs but I am now thinking that maybe I don't need to when they reach 9-10 years.

Can anyone tell me what the accepted/safe way to address this is now?

I am against over vaccination BUT unfortunately because I have a need to kennel my dogs they have to be vaccinated. Even the oldies. Even the vet that I took them to conceeded that the vaccination does not need to be done 12 months on the dot. I opted not to vaccinate with the 3 yearly one as I dont know if my oldies will be around to warrant it. My young girl who was last vaccinated in October 09 has only received a yearly as well.

I know there are high risk areas and technically we live near a few.

Back in NZ we never boostered our dogs over 3 years old. Except the kelpie who we kenneled on occassions.

I have never titre tested

I stopped vaccinating my 1st border collie at 9 yrs old after going to a workshop & 1st learning of the probable over vaccination. At the same time 2 friends warned me to be careful vaccinating April as their dogs of a similar age died following vac. My son's dog had her last annual vac at 7 yrs old because I knew I was soon to get another pup. She hasn't been done since & is now 10 yrs old.

Back in the day before parvo virus we vaccinated our pups for distemper & that was it for the rest of their lives.

I had decided not to vaccinate my older dogs (2 vax as puppy, at 14 months, 4 years and then stop - they are covered until at least 7). But my vet was hassling me about getting vaccinations done recently and says that he feels vaccinating young and old is required but missing in-between is ok. So now I'm confused again. :happydance2:

I had decided not to vaccinate my older dogs (2 vax as puppy, at 14 months, 4 years and then stop - they are covered until at least 7). But my vet was hassling me about getting vaccinations done recently and says that he feels vaccinating young and old is required but missing in-between is ok. So now I'm confused again. :happydance2:

When I 1st decided to stop vac April & ignored 2 reminders the vet rang me to ask why I hadn't been in to vac. (see my above post to see why) After much discussion he finally agreed that vac could last up to 3 yrs, at the workshop I had heard possibly 7 yrs but that was b4 the current 3 yr vacs available now. He said that KC lasted 6 mths & others 3-4 yrs but as it was too hard for some ppl to remember this so they still recommended annual vac & also it was a chance to check out the dog. I wasn't convinced.

At that time titres were mentioned but had to be sent to the US & when I asked another vet she said that it was more expensive so they still recommended annual vac. My present border was given her 1st annual vac at 16 mths then at 2+ a 3 yr vac. When I took her for her annual KC vac it cost nearly as much at the C7 the year b4. When I brought it up the next time I saw the owner vet of the practice I was given the run around saying it is only about $6 more for the KC but at I said it was more than that. We both seemed to be on a different page.

Maybe your vet was meaning the KC vac. or just wanting you to come in get the extra payments. They used to say if you missed a dose you needed to do the whole series again. I wish I could remember the name of the US vet that has researched all of this including the protocol for puppy vaccinations.

Maybe your vet was meaning the KC vac. or just wanting you to come in get the extra payments.

No, he's not that kind of vet. He explained that he vaccinates at 2 months, 3 months and then 15 months old and then leaves it until the dog is about 6 then vaccinates 3 yearly (we were talking C3/C4). He said the dog still needs to have a yearly check-up but doesn't see the need for KC vaccines (though at the same time, he doesn't believe there is any proof of harm from using them).

Is the 3 yearly immunisation for parvo, distemper the same as it used to be when they recommended immunising every year??

If it is then all I really need to do is get the kennel cough done yearly???

Trouble is some of mine have been done by one vet on the yearly regime and others have been to another vet and had the 3 yearly parvo etc. & yearly KC - that's why I am wondering if it is the same C4.

I had decided not to vaccinate my older dogs (2 vax as puppy, at 14 months, 4 years and then stop - they are covered until at least 7). But my vet was hassling me about getting vaccinations done recently and says that he feels vaccinating young and old is required but missing in-between is ok. So now I'm confused again. :laugh:

When I 1st decided to stop vac April & ignored 2 reminders the vet rang me to ask why I hadn't been in to vac. (see my above post to see why) After much discussion he finally agreed that vac could last up to 3 yrs, at the workshop I had heard possibly 7 yrs but that was b4 the current 3 yr vacs available now. He said that KC lasted 6 mths & others 3-4 yrs but as it was too hard for some ppl to remember this so they still recommended annual vac & also it was a chance to check out the dog. I wasn't convinced.

At that time titres were mentioned but had to be sent to the US & when I asked another vet she said that it was more expensive so they still recommended annual vac. My present border was given her 1st annual vac at 16 mths then at 2+ a 3 yr vac. When I took her for her annual KC vac it cost nearly as much at the C7 the year b4. When I brought it up the next time I saw the owner vet of the practice I was given the run around saying it is only about $6 more for the KC but at I said it was more than that. We both seemed to be on a different page.

Maybe your vet was meaning the KC vac. or just wanting you to come in get the extra payments. They used to say if you missed a dose you needed to do the whole series again. I wish I could remember the name of the US vet that has researched all of this including the protocol for puppy vaccinations.

Are you thinking of Jean Dodds maybe?

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Edited by bianca.a

Does anyone know the answer to my last question please?

an accepted safe way???

Is there one?

It is what you will deem to be acceptable. Every vet and every dog owner can tell you 3 sides to the story.

What is an accepted safe way for me and my dogs(touch wood) may not be acceptable for you.

If I had a choice I would not vaccinate my old dogs. Is it acceptable? Well to me it is. To boarding kennels and the like no.

Is it safe? Well apart from these two oldies that I have had to get vaccinated my family have been breeding dogs for 40 years and we have ever had a problem with any contagious disease.

The question was -

Is the 3 yearly immunisation for parvo, distemper the same as it used to be when they recommended immunising every year??

Trouble is some of mine have been done by one vet on the yearly regime and others have been to another vet and had the 3 yearly parvo etc. & yearly KC - that's why I am wondering if it is the same C4.

The question was -

sorry stitch. I didnt see that question :thumbsup: