Crate Entertainment

kiesha09

My dog is on crate rest for the next few days because he may have ruptured his cruciate and he has torn some tendons in his right shoulder (we're waiting on a final lot of tests to be done on Wedesday). This crate rest though could end up going on for a while if he needs an operation to fix it.

He is normally fine in his crate but after a weekend of it he is totally fed up. He is on anti-inflamatories as well so they make him feel like he's ok so woud much rather be running around.

What are some things I can put in his crate to keep him occupied and his mind busy? The vet has said for now I can set up a puppy play pen with his crate etc in it for now so he can't run around but does have a little more space which is what I"ve done today for while I'm at work.

I'm going to go ahead and state the cliche ones, which I assume you've already thought of.. :)

Kong filled with food / treats? If you freeze a Kong with his normal lunch in it, it can take him hours to empty it. Bones for him to chew on - deer antler is great and lasts for months..! My dog just lies in her bed and gnaws at it all day. Perhaps a treat ball with a small opening - altho if he's not supposed to move around much this may not be such a good idea..

I hope others will be able to give you some better ideas than I have. :) Good luck and sorry to hear about your boy!

There are quite a few websites around with ideas and gentle activities such as these.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6145269_keep-crate...ng-surgery.html

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~may/activ

The hardest part will keeping him calm when he is confined and you're not around to entertain him. Hopefully he will realize this is his "normal" routine now and wait calmly and let himself heal.

Good luck. I hope the suspected ruptured ligament turns out to be something milder.