Bad Topic Alert! Intermittent Red Blood In Poop

AK_Blue

Hey.

We've got an ACD pup from a registered breeder, and he's had mostly runny poos ever since we got him, and from time to time there will be a red smear of blood around the poo.

On one occasion, he did a 3 runny poops in succession inside the house, and by the last one it was mostly red blood. I contacted the breeder, (freaking out a little) and she was really calm about it all. Suggested there was no immediate need to get him to the vet, as he probably chewed some bone and nicked his bum on the way out. Boiled chicken and rice for 4-5 days as his diet and see if he improves, which he did.

Then after being on his Cop Rice & chicken mince mixed with fresh garlic diet for a week, he started having small blood smears on top of his poo, it's literally the last thing that's coming out. We changed his diet back to the boiled chicken and rice, and slowly mixed in some human mince meat into the mix as well. I talked to the vet at the beach and she said eliminate garlic, as its related to onion, and it could be poisoning him with toxins. We did that, and he was fine for another 2-3 days.

He's been on this diet for a week now, and on Thursday he did a late arvo poo, and there was another small smear of blood on top, and this morning he did a firm poo, followed by a runny clump and this one had a good amount of blood on it. Yesterday he pooped out a good amount of clear mucus after a poo as well and wiped his bum along the ground after wards, which he does after a really watery poo (approx twice a week).

There seems to be no rhythm or rhyme to his pooing. Firm, water and everything in between, even though his diet is the same. He might go 2 or 3 days of having firm healthy poops, then bang. He'll have diarrhea for a day and at the end of it all blood will appear.

He is up to date with drontal all wormer, which I'm told is the best, so parasite infection is slim. We have a cat that is up to date with his worms as well. The registered breeder has been fantastic with advice, but at this last lot of problems, she advised me I'm worrying too much and I need to relax as the pup is happy and full of beans with bright pink gums. Her opinion is that he has a nick inside his bum which flares up from time to time.

My gut tells me there's something more up, and that it's time for the vet. Also a thousand dollar dog which we had problems with 2 weeks after purchasing. Should it come a health guarantee, or is this up to the breeder's discretion as to whether they do it or not?

Cheers for any advice you might be able to lend me. :)

1. I agree with the breeder. take the garlic out of the diet. It can make dogs anaemic and they certainly don't need it.

2. Get a sample of the bloody poo and take it and the pup to the vet.

3. Rather than feeding mince and Coprice, I'd personally feedng meat on the bone and a better quality kibble. But see a vet first.

If it improves on a bland diet, my guess is its nothing sinister.

Edited by poodlefan

1. I agree with the breeder. take the garlic out of the diet. It can make dogs anaemic and they certainly don't need it.

2. Get a sample of the bloody poo and take it and the pup to the vet.

3. Rather than feeding mince and Coprice, I'd personally feedng meat on the bone and a better quality kibble. But see a vet first.

Yeah, Cop rice was the breeder food. Rice based, not wheat as the dogs have a tendency for dry itchy skin. He hasn't eaten garlic in over 2 weeks now, yet all the sporadic symptoms remain.

That's the rally strange part. His symptoms come and go, and there seems to be zero physical side effects. He is bouncing off walls and has a permanent smile tattooed to his face. He does look uncomfortable when pooing.

He is booked in for Monday 8:30 and the vet is dropping around a stool sample jar this afternoon for me. I guess I wanted to make the thread to gather up all and any info and experience others may have had. As you know, anytime you're taking samples to a vet it can be a long, time consuming process to find out a cause and cure.

He is booked in for Monday 8:30 and the vet is dropping around a stool sample jar this afternoon for me. I guess I wanted to make the thread to gather up all and any info and experience others may have had. As you know, anytime you're taking samples to a vet it can be a long, time consuming process to find out a cause and cure.

Or it could be something as simple as Coccidia or a stomach irritation.

Don't panic.

Edited by poodlefan

Or it could be something as simple as Coccidia or a stomach irritation.

Don't panic.

Thanks for your advice! That's what I'm hoping for. And I think given he's a ball of energy when awake, it can't be too serious. It just doesn't seem to matter what he' eating and it appears. So probably an infection or scrape of some sort.

*crossing fingers*

With my younger Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (Porthos....now 1) we had plenty of vet visits and the same issues as you. He would poop firm, poop runny, lose mucous, there was blood, then there wasn't blood...we tried everything. The noise from his stomach when he'd eat grass etc was so loud - we always knew when his stomach was going to be bad :love:

The vet checked for coccidia, parvo, Giardia, plus heaps of other things I can't remember. He had a foecal analysis done, a rectal exam, he was wormed, etc. The thing that eased his tummy for a bit was stuff from the vets, it was a pinkish liquid we had to syringe into his mouth. We also had a powder to sprinkle into his water to replace electrolytes. Anyway, the vet then said we would try different foods and go off the breeders food which was advance puppy kibble and raw beef mince.

We tried several different kibbles before we found Royal Canin Intestinal. He's been on that ever since. He is now fine :cry: The only thing is that he is around 1kg heavier than we'd like him, 8.5kgs to the 7.5kgs our 2 year old CKCS is.... we'd cut down treats and could not understand his weight gain....then we found out that the intestinal is very high in fat.... so we trooped back to the vet and found they do a low fat intestinal now and so now is on that.

We have now, at just over 1 been able to intro a few things into his diet. He tolerates Raw Hide bones, Scooby Snacks, Carob dog drops, cheese and the occasional half tin-tray of My Dog "Steak and Cheese" (shared with my other CKCS).... but we can't give him raw like our older boy. Chicken makes him poop and bleed so we stay away from chicken.... raw mince makes him poopy....so we stick with the diet we are on and he is thriving :o

I would see your Vet and have him checked for all the usual culprits - but if that doesn't work - then you maybe need to go the diet route. It's perseverance. It tooks months and months before we our Puppy right....and now he's a greedy little gut fest who loves his food and has the firmest poops of the 2 :)

Hope he is better soon ;)

Edited by Elsha_UK_AU

With my younger Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (Porthos....now 1) we had plenty of vet visits and the same issues as you. He would poop firm, poop runny, lose mucous, there was blood, then there wasn't blood...we tried everything. The noise from his stomach when he'd eat grass etc was so loud - we always knew when his stomach was going to be bad :thumbsup:

The vet checked for coccidia, parvo, Giardia, plus heaps of other things I can't remember. He had a foecal analysis done, a rectal exam, he was wormed, etc. The thing that eased his tummy for a bit was stuff from the vets, it was a pinkish liquid we had to syringe into his mouth. We also had a powder to sprinkle into his water to replace electrolytes. Anyway, the vet then said we would try different foods and go off the breeders food which was advance puppy kibble and raw beef mince.

We tried several different kibbles before we found Royal Canin Intestinal. He's been on that ever since. He is now fine :thumbsup: The only thing is that he is around 1kg heavier than we'd like him, 8.5kgs to the 7.5kgs our 2 year old CKCS is.... we'd cut down treats and could not understand his weight gain....then we found out that the intestinal is very high in fat.... so we trooped back to the vet and found they do a low fat intestinal now and so now is on that.

We have now, at just over 1 been able to intro a few things into his diet. He tolerates Raw Hide bones, Scooby Snacks, Carob dog drops, cheese and the occasional half tin-tray of My Dog "Steak and Cheese" (shared with my other CKCS).... but we can't give him raw like our older boy. Chicken makes him poop and bleed so we stay away from chicken.... raw mince makes him poopy....so we stick with the diet we are on and he is thriving :thumbsup:

I would see your Vet and have him checked for all the usual culprits - but if that doesn't work - then you maybe need to go the diet route. It's perseverance. It tooks months and months before we our Puppy right....and now he's a greedy little gut fest who loves his food and has the firmest poops of the 2 :o

Hope he is better soon :eek:

Cheers Elsha. It looks like you're right. Nothing much turned up at the vet, and it looks like a few months of trial and error finding what he can tolerate and what he can't. First up is science diet sensitive tummy and nothing else.

My Neo puppy had blood and mucous in her stool for a couple of months after she came home. After a bit of trial and error we established that she's not really tolerant of kibble. I didn't spend much time working out why, since I feeding my other dogs raw I just fed her the same. But she still gets the runs if I happen to feed her kibble, even premium brands like Royal Canin.

Hey.

We've got an ACD pup from a registered breeder, and he's had mostly runny poos ever since we got him, and from time to time there will be a red smear of blood around the poo.

On one occasion, he did a 3 runny poops in succession inside the house, and by the last one it was mostly red blood. I contacted the breeder, (freaking out a little) and she was really calm about it all. Suggested there was no immediate need to get him to the vet, as he probably chewed some bone and nicked his bum on the way out. Boiled chicken and rice for 4-5 days as his diet and see if he improves, which he did.

Then after being on his Cop Rice & chicken mince mixed with fresh garlic diet for a week, he started having small blood smears on top of his poo, it's literally the last thing that's coming out. We changed his diet back to the boiled chicken and rice, and slowly mixed in some human mince meat into the mix as well. I talked to the vet at the beach and she said eliminate garlic, as its related to onion, and it could be poisoning him with toxins. We did that, and he was fine for another 2-3 days.

He's been on this diet for a week now, and on Thursday he did a late arvo poo, and there was another small smear of blood on top, and this morning he did a firm poo, followed by a runny clump and this one had a good amount of blood on it. Yesterday he pooped out a good amount of clear mucus after a poo as well and wiped his bum along the ground after wards, which he does after a really watery poo (approx twice a week).

There seems to be no rhythm or rhyme to his pooing. Firm, water and everything in between, even though his diet is the same. He might go 2 or 3 days of having firm healthy poops, then bang. He'll have diarrhea for a day and at the end of it all blood will appear.

He is up to date with drontal all wormer, which I'm told is the best, so parasite infection is slim. We have a cat that is up to date with his worms as well. The registered breeder has been fantastic with advice, but at this last lot of problems, she advised me I'm worrying too much and I need to relax as the pup is happy and full of beans with bright pink gums. Her opinion is that he has a nick inside his bum which flares up from time to time.

My gut tells me there's something more up, and that it's time for the vet. Also a thousand dollar dog which we had problems with 2 weeks after purchasing. Should it come a health guarantee, or is this up to the breeder's discretion as to whether they do it or not?

Cheers for any advice you might be able to lend me. :thumbsup:

This happened to my mums dog. She tried it as she thought it had no wheat, it does contain wheat. One of my boys also threw it up as soon as it hit his stomach.

Mum had terrible problems getting him settled back to normal after this. Both dogs are fine now.

She feeds Artimus grain free and my boy is on Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach (Salmon and rice).

All my other dogs are on Nutro as it's a bit cheaper and they are all doing well on it.

We also gave them a few doses of Protexin Liquid. After the Protexin and dry food change no problems since.

I find Protexin is wonderful to have on hand in the fridge.

Mums dog had never had any problems with food or illness until she tried the Coprice so it took a little while for her to link it to the food, at first we thought a belly bug etc. But we have no doubt now that the Coprice caused the issue

Cheers Lee

With my younger Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (Porthos....now 1) we had plenty of vet visits and the same issues as you. He would poop firm, poop runny, lose mucous, there was blood, then there wasn't blood...we tried everything. The noise from his stomach when he'd eat grass etc was so loud - we always knew when his stomach was going to be bad :love:

We tried several different kibbles before we found Royal Canin Intestinal. He's been on that ever since. He is now fine :) The only thing is that he is around 1kg heavier than we'd like him, 8.5kgs to the 7.5kgs our 2 year old CKCS is.... we'd cut down treats and could not understand his weight gain....then we found out that the intestinal is very high in fat.... so we trooped back to the vet and found they do a low fat intestinal now and so now is on that.

We have now, at just over 1 been able to intro a few things into his diet. He tolerates Raw Hide bones, Scooby Snacks, Carob dog drops, cheese and the occasional half tin-tray of My Dog "Steak and Cheese" (shared with my other CKCS).... but we can't give him raw like our older boy. Chicken makes him poop and bleed so we stay away from chicken.... raw mince makes him poopy....so we stick with the diet we are on and he is thriving :)

I would see your Vet and have him checked for all the usual culprits - but if that doesn't work - then you maybe need to go the diet route. It's perseverance. It tooks months and months before we our Puppy right....and now he's a greedy little gut fest who loves his food and has the firmest poops of the 2 ;)

Hope he is better soon :rofl:

sounds like my cav, not all the vet testing or bleeding part, but all the other trying different foods, all she can tolerate is Super Coat dry & my dog chic & veg wet food, she can not tolerate raw meat at all, loves her food though, gutses into it every day, eats what ever she can