Difference Between A Trainer And Behaviourist

Yep there is a big difference :thumbsup:

Anyone can call themselves a dog trainer just like anyone can call themselves a groomer - there is no regulation to the industry.

A dog "trainer" could be one that has just owned dogs for 20 yrs and think they know enough to start up their own business. They could be someone who has volunteered at their local club and then gone through their 'instructor' training which could range from 'in depth' to just 'this is how you make your dog sit'. People also call themselves a 'dog trainer' after completing a certified dog training course.

A dog "behaviourist" is usually saved for those who have done extensive work with behavioural issues, someone who perhaps has completed tertiary education in psycology, science or similar. They may have completed a post doctrate in animal behaviour. Or they may have done a combination of both.

A "Veterinary behaviourist" is one who has completed their veterinary degree AND also a behavioural (certified) course also. It's a long, drawn out process and often these are who we all refer to for the 'serious' behavioural issues.

I see it this way:

A trainer teaches skills to handlers and behaviours to handlers and dogs. Some of those behaviours may be taught to resolve unwanted behaviours.

A behaviorist works primarily on resolving undesireable dog behaviours at the higher end of the scale.

Unless a trainer has sound knowledge of resolving aggression issues, I think that's a job best left to qualified/experienced behaviourists.

A dog "behaviourist" is usually saved for those who have done extensive work with behavioural issues, someone who perhaps has completed tertiary education in psycology, science or similar. They may have completed a post doctrate in animal behaviour. Or they may have done a combination of both.

You would think so, wouldn't you? But...

I am a obedience dog trainer (well really it is a people trainer). It is sort of like being a sports coach. If the dog has issues then it needs medical help. That might be a behaviorist (sort of a psychologist) or it might be a vet behaviorist (GP, psychiatrist). I would suggest the vet behaviorist option if I thought drugs might be needed.

Hopefully if I do my job well the dog will never need a behaviorist because issues will not develop. I have had 3 young dogs in 4 years that have already had bad enough issues that I have recommended they see a behaviorist.

You would think so, wouldn't you? But...

:thumbsup:

I should have added 'in an ideal world' :love:

I think it's a bit like the words "fresh" and "free range" ie not well defined in law or general use so people can use them in a way that most people would not.

I think a dog trainer - trains a dog to do tasks on cue.

A dog training instructor trains the dog trainers.

a behaviourist is who you go to when you want the animals behaviour to change, not necessarily "on cue".

Ie you want the animal to stop ripping up the furniture when you're not home or barking all day in the back yard. Or attacking other dogs when you're not home.

A behaviourist should be able to do all the things a trainer can do, and ideally train the owner/trainer too.

I think all can use learning science/theory ie classical and operant conditioning. I would expect anyone charging for their services to have some tertiary education on the topic and some experience and success, or not to charge.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

A behaviorist works primarily on resolving undesireable dog behaviours at the higher end of the scale.

I wouldnt necessarily limit this to just undesirable behaviours. They can also bring out the best in your dog using behavioural modification instead of rinse repeat training.

A Trainer teaches skills or tricks to a dog

An instructor teaches the dog handler to teach skills or tricks to a dog

A Vet behaviourist examins the dog's psychological state by asking questions and listening to the dog handler's account of the situation, offers verbal and written advice, prescribes medication and hands over the 4 figure invoice.

A behavioural trainer examins the dog's psycholgical state by being present and witnessing when the dog behaves the way it does, offers both verbal and practical advice and demonstrates to the dog handler what they must do, may or may not recommend medication which he/she will then send the dog handler off to the vet to purchase, re-books a second appointment or follow up call and hands the dog handler a tiny invoice for their time.

Well that's how I see it anyway. :thumbsup: