What Do You Think Of This Rspca Ad?

SkySoaringMagpie

I think its a really cute ad. There are lots of gorgeous dogs at shelters - purebred and crossbred. I rescued a pedigree Afghan years ago, so they do come up in rescue. If it gets people thinking and talking about rescue, who cares what kind of dog is in the ad?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, people respond differently to ads, and some are going to realise that you don't get an impeccably groomed dog at the RSPCA and some, like Lhok's friend, are more easily led.

Regardless of how the average punter sees it, the RSPCA are still using a pure bred Afghan (and Pug) in an ad for their dogs, when their support for pure breeds could be described as lukewarm at best. And ultimately, they choose the ad agency and they approve the ad. I find it irritating on a number of levels. We are worth using when there is a product to be flogged, but otherwise we are fair game.

Edit: Can't see a pug in the ad, I could have sworn there was one when I looked this morning but I can't see it now. There is a boxer.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Yes, people respond differently to ads, and some are going to realise that you don't get an impeccably groomed dog at the RSPCA and some, like Lhok's friend, are more easily led.

Regardless of how the average punter sees it, the RSPCA are still using a pure bred Afghan (and Pug) in an ad for their dogs, when their support for pure breeds could be described as lukewarm at best. And ultimately, they choose the ad agency and they approve the ad. I find it irritating on a number of levels. We are worth using when there is a product to be flogged, but otherwise we are fair game.

I did think that myself. They are targeting purebreds in general and have been known to point out Braccy breeds in particular, but then use a Pug?? bit two faced. And then to use an Afghan which incidentally I saw and thought it was a bit rich. Why not use one of the dogs you will find there not an impeccably groomed long coated one.

I think its a really cute ad. There are lots of gorgeous dogs at shelters - purebred and crossbred. I rescued a pedigree Afghan years ago, so they do come up in rescue. If it gets people thinking and talking about rescue, who cares what kind of dog is in the ad?

Yep, they come up in rescue occasionally, these days usually because people can't cope with the coat. Last one we sprang from the pound had a dodgy coat clip, what coat he had was full of seeds and he REEKED. We cleaned him up and he looked and smelled a lot nicer, but I could see why the coat had been causing problems - it was like fine, fine fairy floss - very dry and would mat up if you just looked at it the wrong way. When we cleaned him up we had the benefit of using our own hydrobath, products, grooming stand, brushes and dryer. Much harder if you just adopt one without knowing what you are in for.

We are worth using when there is a product to be flogged, but otherwise we are fair game.

Yes that is why it grates with me to. I think lukewarm is a generous description of their attitude, and using pure breeds in their ads is hypocrisy.

I want a like button for LOTG's posts! Thanks for posting Horace's pic :provoke:

LOL!

I want a like button for yours :D

Horace was a beautiful soul... even if he was a matted pooey mess.

But in all honesty, what is so wrong with the dogs that they have in the pound that they can't use them in an ad... and as you have said, the RSPCA have so many issues with purebred dogs, to the point of advocating the Purebred Dogs Exposed tripe that really they have no business whatsoever using purebred dogs to promote their 'product'.

On another point, irrespective of people taking the ad with a grain of salt it does set up subliminal expectations. For the uninitiated I'm certain that the juxtaposition between the lovely groomed dog on a couch and the cold concrete and overall scruffness of the RSPCA kennels has the potential to be jarring, irrespective of how rational one may be.

We are worth using when there is a product to be flogged, but otherwise we are fair game.

Yes that is why it grates with me to. I think lukewarm is a generous description of their attitude, and using pure breeds in their ads is hypocrisy.

Maybe they use Pure breeds because they darn't admit that a DD might become a Pound Pup??? :thumbsup:

The RSPCA also recommend that people find a reputable breeder if they want a dog so whats the problem?

Because their definition of a "Reputable Breeder" could be anything from a Registered "ethical" Puppy Farm (where the dogs are cared for by RSPCA standards ) to a person who breeds "quantadoodles" as a BYB hobby.

I'm not an advertising guru but I don't think these ads are meant to be taken too literally - its brand promotion and not specifically "product" selling.

If the dog is beautiful and memorable it sews the seed that "the RSPCA has dogs for rehoming". I don't expect to see that dog there when I go but I do know they will have dogs for sale.

I know for a fact that tossing an ugly boyfriend in a Tassie river is not sadly going to make him George Clooney but I can remember that these are Boag's beer ads. :thumbsup:

The RSPCA is pitching to potential dog owners more than die hard dog tragics like we forum members.

Fuzzy:

I think they would actually be better off using a normal dog from the shelter for their ads. It might not be the most attractive dog, but those are the type of dogs that inspire sympathy, and the more pathetic they look, the more people will think 'I want to resuce that dog'.

That pitch only works on people who are motivated to 'save' dogs and there is evidence that continued pitches of that kind cause folk to simply tune them out. People can reach sympathy overload. Its precisely that effect that caused savvy charities to come up with themes to get people to reopen their wallets. Red Nose Day was one of the first and most successful campaigns. Most people probably couldn't tell you what charity it supports. :birthday:

I agree. The RSPCA is in the business of rehoming dogs (hopefully) and in the end dogs are gogs irrespective of breed. It is a fun ad that shows different kind of dogs and a bunny too.

It took me a really long time to remember who those Bankworld ads where for (ANZ, by the by!). It's a great strategy, but a shitty execution.

The RSPCA ad is purely for shock and novelty value and has nothing to do with the dog at all. They haven't used a cross-breed because there would be no gag. Now people are talking about it, and that's its purpose. They have the ad with the dear bandaged animals for adoption drives, and this Afghan ad is to promote and generate discussion. That's what viral advertising is all about.

I doubt it has very much to do with promoting the brand. And that's okay, it's just another component of the overall integrated marketing strategy.

Edited by anna

It took me a really long time to remember who those Bankworld ads where for (ANZ, by the by!). It's a great strategy, but a shitty execution.

The RSPCA ad is purely for shock and novelty value and has nothing to do with the dog at all[/b]. They haven't used a cross-breed because there would be no gag. Now people are talking about it, and that's its purpose. They have the ad with the dear bandaged animals for adoption drives, and this Afghan ad is to promote and generate discussion. That's what viral advertising is all about.

I doubt it has very much to do with promoting the brand. And that's okay, it's just another component of the overall integrated marketing strategy.

So they are not selling anything not even an idea?

The RSPCA ad is purely for shock and novelty value and has nothing to do with the dog at all[/b]. They haven't used a cross-breed because there would be no gag. Now people are talking about it, and that's its purpose. They have the ad with the dear bandaged animals for adoption drives, and this Afghan ad is to promote and generate discussion. That's what viral advertising is all about.

No, that's not what I mean. They are buying visibility and conversation, and probably making adopting a rescue dog "sexier", which is not a brand-specific message. It's a pretty risque ad for a shelter (or any charitable organisation) and that's a really quick and often cheap way to temporarily raise the profile of an enterprise, but doesn't generate lasting brand affinity.

No, that's not what I mean. They are buying visibility and conversation, and probably making adopting a rescue dog "sexier", which is not a brand-specific message. It's a pretty risque ad for a shelter (or any charitable organisation) and that's a really quick and often cheap way to temporarily raise the profile of an enterprise, but doesn't generate lasting brand affinity.

I understand what you mean now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Fleuri

I understand what you mean now. :thumbsup:

Oh good, I'm not sure I do! :)

I think they would actually be better off using a normal dog from the shelter for their ads. It might not be the most attractive dog, but those are the type of dogs that inspire sympathy, and the more pathetic they look, the more people will think 'I want to resuce that dog'.

Thing is though, some absolutely gorgeous dogs come through pounds and shelters. Not necessarily purebreeds and obviously 'one-offs', but gorgeous none-the-less. I know that over the time I've been on the rescue forum I've seen some astoundingly attractive crossbreeds who'd make great advertising material.

However, I actually think the ad is really clever and I love the idea. Think about it; singles sights don't advertise themselves with pictures of ordinary people carrying a bit of a extra weight, wrinkles and grey hair do they? They use pretty, young people to grab your attention; sensible people already know that their match is probably going to be about as ordinary looking as they are, but that bit of glamour draws you in. That's marketing 101 and it works. No-one wants a relationship with someone pathetic for no reason other than they've had a hard life and deserve some attention and if you've ever had that kind of relationship I'll guarantee you don't look back on it with much joy.

As a rescuer, I don't want people adopting our dogs because they feel sorry for them; I want them to look at our dogs and go, "hey, that's a great dog who is exactly what we need for our home". I don't put sad stories about past lives onto our profiles, because I want our dogs to be adopted because they are great dogs who will make excellent companions. I don't want them defined by "sad rescue dog who needs a home because I feel sorry for it"; I want them to be seen as "cute, loving, happy dog who I really want to take home and incidentally I can feel good because I adopted a rescue dog".

And just as an aside, I assume that apart from the glamour factor, they used the Afghan because the narrow head shape and long hair made that first visual joke possible ... I can't see it working with your average staffie x!

Thing is though, some absolutely gorgeous dogs come through pounds and shelters. Not necessarily purebreeds and obviously 'one-offs', but gorgeous none-the-less. I know that over the time I've been on the rescue forum I've seen some astoundingly attractive crossbreeds who'd make great advertising material.

However, I actually think the ad is really clever and I love the idea. Think about it; singles sights don't advertise themselves with pictures of ordinary people carrying a bit of a extra weight, wrinkles and grey hair do they? They use pretty, young people to grab your attention; sensible people already know that their match is probably going to be about as ordinary looking as they are, but that bit of glamour draws you in. That's marketing 101 and it works. No-one wants a relationship with someone pathetic for no reason other than they've had a hard life and deserve some attention and if you've ever had that kind of relationship I'll guarantee you don't look back on it with much joy.

As a rescuer, I don't want people adopting our dogs because they feel sorry for them; I want them to look at our dogs and go, "hey, that's a great dog who is exactly what we need for our home". I don't put sad stories about past lives onto our profiles, because I want our dogs to be adopted because they are great dogs who will make excellent companions. I don't want them defined by "sad rescue dog who needs a home because I feel sorry for it"; I want them to be seen as "cute, loving, happy dog who I really want to take home and incidentally I can feel good because I adopted a rescue dog".

And just as an aside, I assume that apart from the glamour factor, they used the Afghan because the narrow head shape and long hair made that first visual joke possible ... I can't see it working with your average staffie x!

Using your words,

The thing is though, they have used pedigreed dogs which they find no end of bad things to say about and that they say are a welfare concern at all other times.

You are correct there are good looking cross breeds and they should have found one of them to use. Or they can retract all the nasty things they say about purebred dogs and their breeders if they want to use their pedigree beauty and pedigree athleticism to advertize for the RSPCA.

Read this link and then ask yourself why they want to use a pedigreed dog breed when it is such a welfare concern?

http://www.rspca.org.au/how-you-can-help/c...-questions.html

It is not Ok for the RSPCA to use the extreme feature of long hair of an afghan indicating to the public this is the type of dog they can have if the owners wants a sexy dog. Nor is it ok to use the pug face of a boxer as a good choice of dog to find at the RSPCA for an active home (as they do say that pug faced breeds cannot breath correctly). Either pedigreed dogs are a welfare issue or they are not, they cannot have it both ways depending on what suits them at the moment.

If they are a welfare organization and they really think pedigree dogs are a welfare concern, then they should not be suing their beauty and athleticism to promote their organization.

It would be no different to using caged chicken eggs in an omelet sale to promote the RSPCA.

Edited by shortstep