Poison?

joelle

Thank you everyone. We are not coping well but its early days. Day 5 and we're bursting into tears at any given moment. Hubby and Mstr 8 are very sad but coping ok and supporting us through it. Mstr 13 couldnt face school so he spent Monday and Tuesday with my parents and made and painted a cross with my dad for Jakeys grave. We have laminated photos together so Im sure it will be lovely when we have done it all.

Mstr 13 went back to school today but it was hard for him, I took him and spoke with the chaplain and his fave teacher. They have given him a 'chill out card'. he can leave class and go for a chill out without explanation to anyone if he feels the need. I came back to work on Monday as I felt it would be better than sitting at home missing him, but its hard. Very hard. :love: A little dog has left the biggest hole you can imagine :love:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in there Joelle! It is incredibly hard - especially watching the kids go through this - but I love that they're doing things like painting a cross for Jakey. Some people have reported that it has helped their kids to make up photo books, or little videos to commemmorate their pets.

And don't feel bad about the tears - it just shows what a lovely family you are and how special Jakey was. And be prepared for the tears to still come even years later - especially when you hear about similar stories.

My cat was poisoned a few years back and the vet thought the cause was eating a baited mouse/rat. Luckily he survived.

Horrible thought but is it possible that someone threw rat bait into your yard? I'd be doing a search just in case.

Sorry to hear about your dog :love:

Hi everyone thanks again.

I found another dead rat behind the shed today so my guess is that someone, somewhere has got rat poison down :)

Ive lived there for 5 years and never had a problem, now in the space of 6 days, 2 dead rats and our Jakey gone. It seems to coincidental for my liking.

Would it have been polite to let us know he was using poison then we could choose whether to let the dog out???

Do people let you know if they are using stuff like that? I would have thought it common courtesy as there knows there are dogs in all the surrounding houses.

The garden to the right of me is like a jungle, thats the side of our garden that we found Jakey on, also the rats. Thats the only surrounding neighbour without a dog.

Do people let you know if they are using stuff like that?

No.. because most folks do not realise rats especially will travel quite a distance .. maybe several houses away ....and may die out in the open.

Jakey has possibly been eating rats for a time... and the poison accumulated .. poor boy.

Joelle, they don't have to let you know if they are putting down poison :) It would be courteous if they did!!! But they aren't under any obligation. ;)

I lost a young Goldie to 1080 poison almost 3 years ago now ..... I cried everyday for about 6 months! The one thing that really helped me with that grief was another dog. Took me more than 2 years to get that dog mind you! But it's amazing the healing powers of a cold wet nose in your face :cool:

Edited by Golden Rules

Do people let you know if they are using stuff like that?

No.. because most folks do not realise rats especially will travel quite a distance .. maybe several houses away ....and may die out in the open.

Jakey has possibly been eating rats for a time... and the poison accumulated .. poor boy.

Yea I suppose....

If he has been getting the rats, then as devastated as I am, I'm proud of him, he was doing what a Jack russell terrier should have been doing and I bet he loved every minute of it. :cool:

Just realised though :) eeurgh, Jakey Boy!! , all them smoochy kisses ;)

Joelle, so sorry to hear of your loss :cool: Was this the same superstar son/dog team at obedience Monday nights or do I have you confused? Hugs to you and your son ;) RIP Jakey!!! :)

:( Never heard them described like that (by anyone else) but yes probably, they are quite well known up there, because of his age I think. He has just turned 13 and they went to pre trial this term. They only had 2 weeks together down there :)

Joelle, so sorry to hear of your loss :cool: Was this the same superstar son/dog team at obedience Monday nights or do I have you confused? Hugs to you and your son ;) RIP Jakey!!! :)

:( Never heard them described like that (by anyone else) but yes probably, they are quite well known up there, because of his age I think. He has just turned 13 and they went to pre trial this term. They only had 2 weeks together down there :)

I heard they were quite the superstar little team ;) :D