Poison?

joelle

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the poison AFAIK. 1080 is definitely a secondary poison, and I believe some forms of rat pooison are too. If it were my dog, I would be definitely ringing the vet at the very least - and trying to find out what poiison had been used and when.

Ill reword this. The dog is dead. no signs or symptons except a dead rat 5 days later in the garden. Wont be a post mortem as vet charged $1000 which isnt feasible. So could the rat be the culprit? I dont expect anyone to know for sure but just wondering peoples thoughts. how likely is it?

Rodent poisons need to be ingested to cause symptoms of poisoning, so the if the rat you found had died from a traditional laid bait then no, it would not have been the cause. However a carcass that was eaten, and therefore not seen, could cause the death in theory. It is not terribly likely in a larger dog due to the larger volume of poison an individual would need to ingest to cause toxicity but cats and small breed dogs have been affected this way.

Sorry for your loss

My neighbour got some rat poison from our local council and came to warn me to watch out for them coming to die in my yard as he was told that the poison was so strong it could kill another animal that even bit the rat, it didn't have to actually eat the rat.

:love: So very sorry to hear that. But please don't second guess yourself anyway. I lost my dear Fergus (6 year old BC ) to an accidental poisoning a couple of years ago - I think from eating dahlia tubers, which according to the internet are not listed as poisonous. It was such a shock, so I can guess how you are feeling - and I only had myself to worry about.

Take good care of yourself and your son - and know that you have lots of cyber support here. It does help.