Keeping A Pointer Warm

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

Since moving house, my Pointer now lives outside and he's adjusted well. I do sneak him inside sometimes hehe.

But this morning at 5:30am when he poked his head through my bathroom window, he was slightly shivering.

I don't want to crate him as then he'll be sleeping alone or should I so he's warm out there? Or should I buy him a fleecy coat and hope that he doesn't eat it on the first night? I should learn to sew so I can make him a new one when he eats them as he does eat things he shouldn't.

At least Perth doesn't get freezing cold and he has a single coat and I don't want him to be cold!

Sadly where we are living he can't sleep inside, I'm already breaking the rules by having Ivy sleep inside so I won't push it any further.

There is a carport that I can put his crate in but I think he'd whinge as he'd be away from the other dog who is also outside only.

Buy him an insulated kennel AND rug him. A crate offers no protection from the elements, and minimal insulation if covered.

Personally I'd be sleeping both dogs together, outside if necessary. They will be company and warmth for one another.

Edited by poodlefan

Sounds as if he needs a decent kennel.. full of warm bedding ..NOT just a flat pad which provides nothing :crossfingers: A kennel need no be elaborate ... if there is shelter from rain,it can be a strong carton from a fridge! face the opening away from southerly breezes .. fill it with opshop blankets etc .. and throw a handful of treats in there occasionally so he gets to love it :crossfingers:

I would crate him inside, if you are breaking the rules for one dog what does it matter if both are inside? IE your landlord is not going to say hey you are not supposed to have dogs inside but you only let the one in so thats ok.... I allow mine inside even though he is not supposed to be, I just clean up properly and wash carpets before inspection, easy as. Never had an issue.

Guest english.ivy
Sounds as if he needs a decent kennel.. full of warm bedding ..NOT just a flat pad which provides nothing :crossfingers: A kennel need not be elaborate ... if there is shelter from rain,it can be a strong carton from a fridge! face the opening away from southerly breezes .. fill it with opshop blankets etc .. and throw a handful of treats in there occasionally so he gets to love it :crossfingers:

Good idea, I'll go shopping for a kennel, sure I can find one online or in the paper. He loved his crate where we lived before.

Ivy is my heart dog and she hates being outside at night, she's grown up sleeping on the floor in my room for the last two and a half years and I can't bare to force her to sleep outside. Badger is a youngster and is fine being out there, he makes his own fun. Yeah I probably spoil Ivy but she also has to spend a lot more time outside during the day now, she only really comes in when my OH isn't home and when we go to bed.

I would crate him inside, if you are breaking the rules for one dog what does it matter if both are inside? IE your landlord is not going to say hey you are not supposed to have dogs inside but you only let the one in so thats ok.... I allow mine inside even though he is not supposed to be, I just clean up properly and wash carpets before inspection, easy as. Never had an issue.

Not renting anymore, living with my OH. I wish it didn't have to come down to having him sleep outside but I need somewhere to live and I'm ever so grateful he lets Ivy sleep inside with me. I'm not enjoying it at all but it makes me spend a lot of time out there with him. They are all allowed on the hardfloors and often come in while we watch tele in the evenings.

I'm hoping to get my OH to let Badger sleep in his crate in the lounge room, which is hardfloor and isn't really used for anything. But I doubt that will happen. This is why dogs are better people.

Like the idea of a turtle neck coat.

Personally I think if one's out, both should be.. They can curl up together and keep each other warm that way. What's fair is fair, no matter what... OH tried the whole but they should sleep outside argument, and tried to tell me the new one would be out and Diesel inside.. WRONG.. both dogs are house dogs :crossfingers:

You (along with many others who continue to be dishonest & deceitful to their landlords) are why their are so few pet friendly rentals...

Edited by Aziah

Guest english.ivy

My anxiety doesn't allow me to not have Ivy with me at night, hopefully soon enough I will feel better and next winter they will both be out together. Ivy is the only therapy that helps me at the moment. So many people don't get that but whenever I cuddle Ivy in bed or just have her there with me, all my worries go away.

I'm sure I'll sort something out with Badger now I have some great ideas, thanks :laugh:

Badg means the world to me so I can promise he won't go cold this winter, it is just going to take some working out to see what suits him best. And probably a few chewed blankets and coats hehe.

My two were allowed inside in my previous rental. I made an effort to find somewhere that was dog inside friendly. But so glad I don't have to deal with landlords anymore!

I respect my OH and how he likes things in his house, it is his house to begin with. He isn't a cat person [he's slightly allergic to her fur] but he allows my cat in the house and he didn't want dog hair on the carpet but he knows how much Ivy means to me and he's letting her on the carpet. Lucky for me, I love cleaning!

Sounds as if he needs a decent kennel.. full of warm bedding ..NOT just a flat pad which provides nothing :( A kennel need not be elaborate ... if there is shelter from rain,it can be a strong carton from a fridge! face the opening away from southerly breezes .. fill it with opshop blankets etc .. and throw a handful of treats in there occasionally so he gets to love it :o

Good idea, I'll go shopping for a kennel, sure I can find one online or in the paper. He loved his crate where we lived before.

Ivy is my heart dog and she hates being outside at night, she's grown up sleeping on the floor in my room for the last two and a half years and I can't bare to force her to sleep outside. Badger is a youngster and is fine being out there, he makes his own fun. Yeah I probably spoil Ivy but she also has to spend a lot more time outside during the day now, she only really comes in when my OH isn't home and when we go to bed.

Not renting anymore, living with my OH. I wish it didn't have to come down to having him sleep outside but I need somewhere to live and I'm ever so grateful he lets Ivy sleep inside with me. I'm not enjoying it at all but it makes me spend a lot of time out there with him. They are all allowed on the hardfloors and often come in while we watch tele in the evenings.

I'm hoping to get my OH to let Badger sleep in his crate in the lounge room, which is hardfloor and isn't really used for anything. But I doubt that will happen. This is why dogs are better people.

Like the idea of a turtle neck coat.

I would let them sleep outside together (purely for warmth/company) rather than only having one inside (which is a coated breed anyway). Get them a nice big comfy kennel, and a warm coat for the pointer.

I really don't see why the dog should suffer because of your b/f's control issues. If he has no objection to them spending time inside in the evenings and lets Ivy sleep inside, whats his beef with another dog sleeping inside if its crated?

Meh, I'd ditch the b/f. :laugh:

ETA: I posted before I saw your last post. :)

I'd still work on the b/f to have the pointer sleep inside, maybe in the kitchen in a nice warm crate or something?

Edited by Cazablanca

You (along with many others who continue to be dishonest & deceitful to their landlords) are why their are so few pet friendly rentals...

I don't see how one well behaved dog would be anywhere near as destructive as a toddler or even the way some slob people live. As long as Mas's landlord is happy with the house I don't see how it's any issue to you.

If you can only have one dog inside, it would make more sense to have the Pointer inside as the Belgian is coated and will be fine outside with a decent kennel.

Personally I worry more about my dogs in the heat than the cold, but they all have double coats.

I don't see how one well behaved dog would be anywhere near as destructive as a toddler or even the way some slob people live. As long as Mas's landlord is happy with the house I don't see how it's any issue to you.

It's an issue because if the landlord wanted pets in THEIR rental property then they would have said so when advertising!

Regardless of whether or not the landlord is happy with the house, they certainly aren't aware that their lease agreement is being broken.

It annoys the sh*t out of me because it's no different to those people who insist on sneaking their pets into their motel room etc.

It's deceitful...if you want to have your pet inside then find a rental that allows you to do so (honestly) or buy your own home.

so your other half loves you enough to allow an animal he is allergic to and your therapy dog inside but not badger? that soudns a bit weird to me. when he agreed to, or asked you or however you guys decided to live together weren't your animals part of the package? i understand that a young, big male dog can probably cope pretty well outisde, esp in WA, and i'm sure a nice weatherbeeta or dryzabone dog coat will solve the problem with a kennel but it just seems odd? to agree to you and everything you are and have in your home and then only put one of the 3 animals outside is a strange decision IMHO, but then, people can be strange creatures - can't we?!

and it doesn't sound stupid at all having an anxiety therapy dog - i'm bird phobic and although i find it harder to walk the dog in spring, the only reason i go out in spring at all is because i have the dog there and he chases birds and in my head his presence scares them off a bit - in reality i'm not so sure that is true! of course i wear shatter-proof sunnies, a cap, seriously thick collar and i use my iPod religiously so i can't hear any bird noise as well because, well, a phobia and/or anxiety is damn hard to control and beat.

Guest english.ivy
so your other half loves you enough to allow an animal he is allergic to and your therapy dog inside but not badger? that soudns a bit weird to me. when he agreed to, or asked you or however you guys decided to live together weren't your animals part of the package? i understand that a young, big male dog can probably cope pretty well outisde, esp in WA, and i'm sure a nice weatherbeeta or dryzabone dog coat will solve the problem with a kennel but it just seems odd? to agree to you and everything you are and have in your home and then only put one of the 3 animals outside is a strange decision IMHO, but then, people can be strange creatures - can't we?!

and it doesn't sound stupid at all having an anxiety therapy dog - i'm bird phobic and although i find it harder to walk the dog in spring, the only reason i go out in spring at all is because i have the dog there and he chases birds and in my head his presence scares them off a bit - in reality i'm not so sure that is true! of course i wear shatter-proof sunnies, a cap, seriously thick collar and i use my iPod religiously so i can't hear any bird noise as well because, well, a phobia and/or anxiety is damn hard to control and beat.

Well he didn't agree to having Ivy sleep inside, I forced it upon him and made him feel guilty about my cat. Then he soon realised that I wasn't stepping down and now it's a way of life. He wants to be with me, I have Ivy sleep inside.

If I lived over East, then this would be a much bigger issue and I'd probably move out but it rarely gets to freezing in Perth. The back yard is protected from the south west winds, by a huge house.

I'm going to buy Badger a birthday gift after work today so I'll go check out the coats while I'm there.

Also I think after the loss my first heart dog so soon in her life, I'm scared Ivy will leave too soon aswell so I can't bare to just leave her outside. She is treated like a dog [apart from sleeping on my bed] but she's a lot more than a dog to me.

Gosh a bird phobia would be hard to deal with. It's amazing how much dogs can help us in everyday life!

It's an issue because if the landlord wanted pets in THEIR rental property then they would have said so when advertising!

Regardless of whether or not the landlord is happy with the house, they certainly aren't aware that their lease agreement is being broken.

It annoys the sh*t out of me because it's no different to those people who insist on sneaking their pets into their motel room etc.

It's deceitful...if you want to have your pet inside then find a rental that allows you to do so (honestly) or buy your own home.

If i had the money to buy my own home I would obviously have done so and if my dog was causing damage naturally i would not let him inside. And my cats are allowed so technically animals are allowed inside anyway.

ETA this has gone way off topic now, but thought I would ad that they were aware we had pets when we applied for the house, we signed the lease and only afterwards on the day we were supposed to move in got given a info sheet that said no dog inside, so tell me now if you think that is fair???

Edited by Mason2009

If i had the money to buy my own home I would obviously have done so and if my dog was causing damage naturally i would not let him inside. And my cats are allowed so technically animals are allowed inside anyway.

Buit it's not for you to decide that because your dog isn't doing damage he's allowed inside, that's a permission that only your landlord can give.

If your cats are allowed inside and you believe that techincally, 'animals' are allowed inside then why bother posting that the dog isn't allowed inside?