Food Aggression In Puppies

BC Crazy

Hi,

My 12wk old BC puppy, Stella, has a nature to die for, she is the sweetest little girl you could come across, a real cuddle pot. I am having issues with her & food aggression though( big time). She is fine with her meals that are I prepare for her in her bowl but if she has a chicken wing or a brisket bone

she goes :crossfingers: I make her sit before I give it to her, I take a step or two away, then I go to even walk near her & she bares her teeth ( mouth still full of wing ) growls & spits & runs at me to get away from her. I have never seen anything like it. Very scarey. I have verbally roused on her for this behaviour but this doesn't fase her. Sonny my 2.5 year old BC never once growled at me over food. She really means business, I try to even pat her on the back to reasure her that I don't want to take her food but she just moves away, snapping & snarling in my direction. Any help / advice or experience with this issue would be soooo appreciated as I don't want her to be food aggressive when she is older & I also worry if she is choking or something I want to be able to help her.

You've got yourself a fierce little resource guarder.

I suggest you seek experienced professional help with this one. If you tell us where you are, we may be able to recommend someone.

In the interim do as much as possible to decrease her anxiety about her food. My number one tip would be to feed her in a crate and leave her alone while eating.

If you have children, then summon the professional help and buy the crate TODAY.

Edited by poodlefan

maybe try what i did (though my boy never showed aggression) get out 2 chicken wings, hold one in each hand, then while still holding one let her chew on it, dont let her take it off you. then when she is getting a good chew going, say "give" or whatever and take it off her and give her the other one. also when you feed her dinner approach her bowl and throw in something really yummy, so she learns to look at you approaching as oooh something goods coming!! i'd definatley give the 2 chicken wings a go.

You've got yourself a fierce little resource guarder.

I suggest you seek experienced professional help with this one. If you tell us where you are, we may be able to recommend someone.

In the interim do as much as possible to decrease her anxiety about her food. My number one tip would be to feed her in a crate and leave her alone while eating.

If you have children, then summon the professional help and buy the crate TODAY.

Absolutely agree as someone who has been there done that.

i was bitten by my resource guarding pup and definitely had to do something about it, especially since i have kids.

do something about it before she gets bigger and harder to deal with.

Agree totally with poodlefan.

Please, when she gets wings etc leave her ALONE ..in a crate or room... and don't annoy her when she's eating- it only exacerbates what is there :crossfingers:

Training is one thing... (and you need the help of a professional to approach it correctly) - unknowingly helping to escalate her aggression levels is another.

if you need a professional to be recommended to you, ask on here :crossfingers:

Agree with PF.

Normally I'd say use the same approach as Dandybrush suggested and exchange food items but in your case I would seek professional help. Your pup seems extremely stressed about having her food taken from her so I wouldn't be fluffing around her during meal times.

Thank's everyone for your help with Stella.

Oh dear !!!! I knew this was not good. And I know she means business, she will bite me if I get in her comfort zone while she is eating her treasured wings. I have only had her a week & 2 days & I always feed her, 3 times a day, in her crate in a bowl, i open the crate door ocassionly & touch her & move the bowl & she does nothing apart from to continue to eat. But because I also have Sonny my other BC I put them both out on the back lawn, sonny has a chic carcess & Stella has a wing. And I supervise them until they are finished. I wont go near her at this time of the day from now on till I get help. Luckily I don't have any kids around these days.I am really upset about this as this is her only problem, she is soooo good with everything else, she is such a dear little thing.I wonder what makes pups have this issue? I need to go & collect myself I think. I know I am a sook. :crossfingers: I just love her to bits already.

Oh dear !!!! I knew this was not good. And I know she means business, she will bite me if I get in her comfort zone while she is eating her treasured wings. I have only had her a week & 2 days & I always feed her, 3 times a day, in her crate in a bowl, i open the crate door ocassionly & touch her & move the bowl & she does nothing apart from to continue to eat. But because I also have Sonny my other BC I put them both out on the back lawn, sonny has a chic carcess & Stella has a wing. And I supervise them until they are finished. I wont go near her at this time of the day from now on till I get help. Luckily I don't have any kids around these days.I am really upset about this as this is her only problem, she is soooo good with everything else, she is such a dear little thing.I wonder what makes pups have this issue? I need to go & collect myself I think. I know I am a sook. :crossfingers: I just love her to bits already.

If the only time you're seeing issues is outside the crate, try feeding all meals there.

I'd suggest you stop interrupting her feeding in the crate and that you feed her chicken wings in there too.

Separation from your other dog might also decrease her anxiety.

Its the nature/ nurture debate... I would be very interested in how the rest of the litter are around food. I've seen whole litters who are lovely in every other way but get them near food and its on! In a pup this young I suspect its genetic and with good guidance from an experienced behaviourist you can learn how to deal with it. Definately get help now!

If the only time you're seeing issues is outside the crate, try feeding all meals there.

I'd suggest you stop interrupting her feeding in the crate and that you feed her chicken wings in there too.

Separation from your other dog might also decrease her anxiety.

Oh, o.k. Poodlefan, I will follow your advice chic wings in crate too. Keep them totally separate during mealtimes. Looks like I might have to get in some help with this one. I have also contacted Stella's breeder via email, she may be able to shed some light on this.

Hi,

My 12wk old BC puppy, Stella, has a nature to die for, she is the sweetest little girl you could come across, a real cuddle pot. I am having issues with her & food aggression though( big time). She is fine with her meals that are I prepare for her in her bowl but if she has a chicken wing or a brisket bone

she goes :laugh: I make her sit before I give it to her, I take a step or two away, then I go to even walk near her & she bares her teeth ( mouth still full of wing ) growls & spits & runs at me to get away from her. I have never seen anything like it. Very scarey. I have verbally roused on her for this behaviour but this doesn't fase her. Sonny my 2.5 year old BC never once growled at me over food. She really means business, I try to even pat her on the back to reasure her that I don't want to take her food but she just moves away, snapping & snarling in my direction. Any help / advice or experience with this issue would be soooo appreciated as I don't want her to be food aggressive when she is older & I also worry if she is choking or something I want to be able to help her.

Hi BC Crazy,

I have a now 10mth old male BC (Jed) who resource guards his food and toys....not from his humans....but from our cats.

We got him at 5mths and the resource guarding started about a month after with our male cat....yet he was cuddly and cosy with our female.

It has now started with our female cat. So just be aware that for us...it started with one cat food guarding, then toy guarding ...then just this month has extended to 2 cats food and toy guarding.

I am devastated because he also is a beautiful dog...so affectionate and responsive to MOST training etc,.

I don't have a crate...but now when I feed him he goes on a 6ft lead and I stand with him until he has finished and then remove "bits" of leftover food. The other day for some reason I sat Jed and gave him a chicken neck without realizing I hadn't chained him. My female cat was approaching our direction from about 4 metres away and Jed went ballistic and chased her well away.

I cannot give Jed bones or anything that can be buried unless I stay with him and remove any uneaten portions. He has earlier in the piece....dug up a bone...a cat has walked past him and he has obviously thought that the cat was coming for his bone....so a chase resulted.

I have not considered a Proffessional to help but perhaps it is something I need to do also.

It is particularly good to know that we are not always alone with our problems!!

Guest Labradork

Oh dear !!!! I knew this was not good. And I know she means business, she will bite me if I get in her comfort zone while she is eating her treasured wings. I have only had her a week & 2 days & I always feed her, 3 times a day, in her crate in a bowl, i open the crate door ocassionly & touch her & move the bowl & she does nothing apart from to continue to eat. But because I also have Sonny my other BC I put them both out on the back lawn, sonny has a chic carcess & Stella has a wing. And I supervise them until they are finished. I wont go near her at this time of the day from now on till I get help. Luckily I don't have any kids around these days.I am really upset about this as this is her only problem, she is soooo good with everything else, she is such a dear little thing.I wonder what makes pups have this issue? I need to go & collect myself I think. I know I am a sook. :laugh: I just love her to bits already.

Don't be upset, it's just a little obstacle which I'm sure will be overcome with the right help :) I agree with one of the previous comments, it may be a pricey exercise but any money you outlay will be well worth it.

This may be a little left field but I wonder if a different type of food would bring about a different reaction? I'm no behaviourist but I've noticed that my dogs behave a lot differently around raw meat than they do their "boring" dry kibble (i.e. the need to scoff it down three times as fast!). Worth a thought.

Good luck :(

Oh dear !!!! I knew this was not good. And I know she means business, she will bite me if I get in her comfort zone while she is eating her treasured wings. I have only had her a week & 2 days & I always feed her, 3 times a day, in her crate in a bowl, i open the crate door ocassionly & touch her & move the bowl & she does nothing apart from to continue to eat. But because I also have Sonny my other BC I put them both out on the back lawn, sonny has a chic carcess & Stella has a wing. And I supervise them until they are finished. I wont go near her at this time of the day from now on till I get help. Luckily I don't have any kids around these days.I am really upset about this as this is her only problem, she is soooo good with everything else, she is such a dear little thing.I wonder what makes pups have this issue? I need to go & collect myself I think. I know I am a sook. :) I just love her to bits already.

No need to be too upset :laugh:

I am sure that if you get in contact with a professional trainer or behaviourist asap, you will be able to manage and improve her behaviour, she is only a baby puppy after all.

Hi BC Crazy,

I am devastated because he also is a beautiful dog...so affectionate and responsive to MOST training etc,.

I don't have a crate...but now when I feed him he goes on a 6ft lead and I stand with him until he has finished and then remove "bits" of leftover food. The other day for some reason I sat Jed and gave him a chicken neck without realizing I hadn't chained him. My female cat was approaching our direction from about 4 metres away and Jed went ballistic and chased her well away.

I cannot give Jed bones or anything that can be buried unless I stay with him and remove any uneaten portions. He has earlier in the piece....dug up a bone...a cat has walked past him and he has obviously thought that the cat was coming for his bone....so a chase resulted.

I have not considered a Proffessional to help but perhaps it is something I need to do also.

It is particularly good to know that we are not always alone with our problems!!

Resource guarders aren't "bad" dogs. They're displaying a perfectly natural canine response to threats (perceived or otherwise) to things they value. Food they don't place a high value on, they don't guard.

Decreasing the perceptionn of threats helps stop the behaviour from escalating but IMO the trait is always present and maybe desensitised but not cured.

Shyfig, a professional will help but my advice to you is to lock your cats up when your dog is feeding, to feed him in crate or outside and offleash and to remove both the cats and yourself from the equation. If your dog is doing no more than chasing the cats off, I'd be counting your blessings.

Behaviour escalates because the dog perceives it is working. My advice to you is to remove the cats so that your dog never feels they are a threat to his food.

Treats etc present a whole new management issue.

Edited by poodlefan

Hi BC Crazy,

To add a word of reassurance... when I got my GR puppy, she behaved in exactly the same way, but at a slightly lower level of aggression. I called in the trainer/behaviourist who has helped train all my dogs. We used the same method suggested here. I gave her little bits of raw meat to chew on and every time I walked past her, I would give her an additional tasty morsel. Did the same during her regular meal times.

Now my two dogs eat their bones sitting next to each other and I can take bones out of their mouths without any issue. So please see a behaviourist but don't consider it a huge problem. I hope it works out well.

Hi BC Crazy,

To add a word of reassurance... when I got my GR puppy, she behaved in exactly the same way, but at a slightly lower level of aggression. I called in the trainer/behaviourist who has helped train all my dogs. We used the same method suggested here. I gave her little bits of raw meat to chew on and every time I walked past her, I would give her an additional tasty morsel. Did the same during her regular meal times.

Now my two dogs eat their bones sitting next to each other and I can take bones out of their mouths without any issue. So please see a behaviourist but don't consider it a huge problem. I hope it works out well.

Thanks for your reassurance Odin-Genie as this problem has shocked me a bit as I have never had a food aggressive puppy before & my confidence has taken a blow at the moment. I have noticed it is only raw foods that trigger her behaviour, anything other foods/treats I am able to take them out of her mouth when ever I please & I give them straight back to her & praise her, without her showing any sign of growling/aggression. I hope I have as much success as you & well done on your very positive out come. Gives me hope & belief.

Don't get too worried, with the right help you will sort it out. :(

My little girl tried a similar thing over a wing a week ago (ACD pup). I tend to think that breeders feeding pups out of one large bowl can exacerbate the issue in a pup, but thats just my theory. They learn to hustle and bustle for food and that it can be a limited resource if they're not vigilant!

For the last week I have been giving her wings, leaving her for a few minutes then approaching with a really high value treat. I have established in her mind (and will continue to foster it) that when I approach her she is not losing anything, but gaining something better. I also scruffed her hard when she initally did it, but that's not a recommendation as the timing, intensity and duration has to be spot on.

Her response was not as intense as your pups but I have done the higher trade with adult dogs (and the confrontation - but thats a personal choice) and it has worked very well.

She is still your little mate, but is a little creature working out how to control and influence her world.

Edited by Jakemon