Rescue Dogs

Theresadn88

good for you Teresenad88 for realising whilst you would love the sibe he isn't the dog for you :thumbsup: If more people did this there would be far less dogs in rescue, particularly working dogs.

I have 3 dogs from breeders, 1 dog from Rescue. Whilst I love all my dogs dearly there is just something special about my rescue fellow, he is just the most loyal loving fellow. Whilst I will probably always have a dog from a breeder I will always have at least one rescue dog :birthday:

good for you Teresenad88 for realising whilst you would love the sibe he isn't the dog for you :thumbsup: If more people did this there would be far less dogs in rescue, particularly working dogs.

I have 3 dogs from breeders, 1 dog from Rescue. Whilst I love all my dogs dearly there is just something special about my rescue fellow, he is just the most loyal loving fellow. Whilst I will probably always have a dog from a breeder I will always have at least one rescue dog :)

Do you think it's possible that you view his behaviour through a different lens because of his background? I wonder if a dog's history (or perceived history) can colour our perception to some degree.

My guess is the special ones are special regardless of background.... maybe?

I have 3 dogs from breeders, 1 dog from Rescue. Whilst I love all my dogs dearly there is just something special about my rescue fellow, he is just the most loyal loving fellow. Whilst I will probably always have a dog from a breeder I will always have at least one rescue dog :(

Do you think it's possible that you view his behaviour through a different lens because of his background? I wonder if a dog's history (or perceived history) can colour our perception to some degree.

My guess is the special ones are special regardless of background.... maybe?

maybe. interesting thought. Would he have been the same if I had got him from a pup. He may well have been and also being a working dog breed would make him to be more inclined to be loyal and attached to one person. He was a foster dog, I had fostered before him, I have fostered after him and he is the only one that failed fostering and became a forever dog :)

OT a bit but I have a coolie pup which Flash my rescue boy is, so it is interesting to compare the two of them and how Latte will turn out. One thing though is Flash is absolutely petrified of brooms, still after 3 1/2 years of living with me :cry: whilst Latte attacks them :)

OT a bit but I have a coolie pup which Flash my rescue boy is, so it is interesting to compare the two of them and how Latte will turn out. One thing though is Flash is absolutely petrified of brooms, still after 3 1/2 years of living with me :) whilst Latte attacks them :thumbsup:

Howard the Whippet is deeply suspicious of ceiling fans - I can guarantee he's never been hit by one. :cry:

And Her Imperial Highness, the royal princess Dusty, hates my adult sons.......neither of who have ever said a bad word to her, and is terrified of lawn mowers, and she's definitely never been run over by one.

Dusty came from a very caring breeder at 8 weeks of age and she's lived a life quite suitable for royalty ever since.

I don't personally believe you can tell a dog has been abused by the dogs actions or fear of something.

I know that Perry was abused and she has always hated small men in big hats - she absolutely goes off at them - even John Howard has been at the receiving end of her dislike. If they take their hats off she can see they are not the farmer who beat and kicked her and then it is alright. She is not scared of the hats otherwise and tall men in big hats are just fine as far as she is concerned.

I put in ceiling fans after I got her and she was terrified of them initially but now thinks they are a good thing.

I think too, that some rescue organisations have to realize that not all dogs are suitable for rehoming.

I could not agree more.

And it saddens me the time and money that is spent on retraining difficult cases that could be redirected towards saving more dogs with no problems.

I hate to take a hard line, but with all the thousands of dogs in the pounds, I feel the ones with no issues should come first.

Flash is scared of youngish dark haired men but is fine with other men :thumbsup: so I just presumed he was abused by someone fitting this description perhaps with a broom. He really tries hard sometimes to get over his fears, for example his most favourite man in the world was standing behind a youngish dark haired man and he really wanted to get to David and tried to but just kept running back to me until I got the youngish dark haired man to give him a pat. Chris was good enough to actually kneel down and give Flash lots of pats. The next week Flash was a bit hesistant but then bravely went to Chris.

Odd about dogs with no bad experiences not liking certain people but I guess my female golden retreiver, spoilt from birth and certainly from when I got her at 8 weeks old can be funny sometimes too.

I think too, that some rescue organisations have to realize that not all dogs are suitable for rehoming.

I could not agree more.

And it saddens me the time and money that is spent on retraining difficult cases that could be redirected towards saving more dogs with no problems.

I hate to take a hard line, but with all the thousands of dogs in the pounds, I feel the ones with no issues should come first.

I agree not all dogs should be rehomed.

BUT Personally I'm not fussed about turnover numbers and prefer to focus on the dogs at hand. I cannot take the burden of the thousands of impounded dogs I cannot help. It's sad but thinking about all the others you 'could' rescue will see you broke and in over your head.... take too many dogs and they end up getting rushed through unassessed, stuck in boarding or left with a carer and forgotten.

I disagree only on the one point re time and money. :) Many just deserve a decent chance. Some dogs rescued will naturally take more resources to get up to an appropriate standard for rehoming. For example the seniors, injured, ill, lame, mangey etc often come in with treatable health issues that need addressing. Just my experience but the homes for rehabbed dogs are out there: if the group is responsible, has the funds and can take difficult cases then that's all the better.

However deelee I know you're talking about behavioural/aggression issues here and I'm so sorry. :thumbsup: When issues appear after the dog is in care, that's the point where a rescue has to make a decision. And again, if they have not the time, resources or inclination to help that dog: it's not rehomeable.

I used to wonder why rescue rescued dogs that are going to use alot of their financial resources - and I'm talking about dogs that need operations or are sick rather than aggressive dogs.

then middle of last year there was an older cattle dog in Kurri Kurri Pound I think. AWDRI rescued her, took her to the vets with DMA's help, and spent a fortune "righting" her, poor darling had mammary tumours :thumbsup: . At that stage I thought a bit of waste of money.

However I then fostered Gemma and my whole attitude changed, she was so worth saving. AND to top it all off there was a very lonely older lady in Brisbane who ended up adopting Gemma. I cried buckets when I had to put Gemma on transport for her to go up north. After a couple of weeks in her new home I rang to see how Gemma was getting on and was told "Gemma needed me and I needed her" and received photos a few months later of a very happy contented girl

to me that made every single penny worthwhile and I have a completely different attitude about saving sick dogs now

I could not agree more.

I agree not all dogs should be rehomed.

BUT Personally I'm not fussed about turnover numbers and prefer to focus on the dogs at hand. I cannot take the burden of the thousands of impounded dogs I cannot help. It's sad but thinking about all the others you 'could' rescue will see you broke and in over your head.... take too many dogs and they end up getting rushed through unassessed, stuck in boarding or left with a carer and forgotten.

I disagree only on the one point re time and money. :cry: Many just deserve a decent chance. Some dogs rescued will naturally take more resources to get up to an appropriate standard for rehoming. For example the seniors, injured, ill, lame, mangey etc often come in with treatable health issues that need addressing. Just my experience but the homes for rehabbed dogs are out there: if the group is responsible, has the funds and can take difficult cases then that's all the better.

However deelee I know you're talking about behavioural/aggression issues here and I'm so sorry. :) When issues appear after the dog is in care, that's the point where a rescue has to make a decision. And again, if they have not the time, resources or inclination to help that dog: it's not rehomeable.

Actually yeah I was. Sorry, I do tend to get a little tunnel vision sometimes. :thumbsup:

Too much time on facebook today Onsntill :clap: - ....vainly looking for the 'Like' button. :thumbsup:

That's ok deelee and I completely understand. :cheer:

Difficult or seemingly hopeless dogs is a topic close to my heart and I did go off on a bit of a tangent.

Edited by Powerlegs