Rescue Dogs

Theresadn88

I'm getting my first puppy in 2 weeks, and can't wait! BUT then I see all these gorgeous rescue dogs on dogzonline and just go gaga. I have my eye on this Sibe girl but of course this is NOT going to happen since the breed won't suit my lifestyle plus I'm in love with my new puppy.

I just think it's sad that these guys don't have a home. I guess seeing them and others like them really makes me want to promote reputable breeders and also to promote the right choice of breed. I know a few of my friends are looking at dogs, but I'm trying to convince people to get these rescues now. Especially that Sibe!

The dogs in rescue here on DOL have options are cared for and will find the right homes. It's the dogs being surrendered to/dumped in pounds that are up shit creek. Unfortunately not every dog will be lucky enough to make it into rescue.

If you/your friends want to help these dogs perhaps consider donating to the rescue groups who take them on.

The dogs in rescue here on DOL have options are cared for and will find the right homes. It's the dogs being surrendered to/dumped in pounds that are up shit creek. Unfortunately not every dog will be lucky enough to make it into rescue.

If you/your friends want to help these dogs perhaps consider donating to the rescue groups who take them on.

:crossfingers:

yep! The dogs from the pound we rescue from never make it onto the net & the local community don't have a clue they are there until we take them and put them up for adoption. They are just the lucky ones, we know about them and can help them.

I just think it's sad that these guys don't have a home. I guess seeing them and others like them really makes me want to promote reputable breeders and also to promote the right choice of breed. I know a few of my friends are looking at dogs, but I'm trying to convince people to get these rescues now. Especially that Sibe!

I've always liked owning 2 dogs. I find it easier as they're company for each other. And have tried to own 1 dog straight from a good registered breeder & the other a dog with a rescue background.

Good on you for highlighting the importance of putting thought into getting a new puppy/dog. And for giving useful advice to friends. So many people don't know how to get dogs from registered breeders. Neither do they know of all the lovely dogs to be got from rescues.

Guest Labradork

Absolutely! We aren't able to take on any more dogs, but we've sponsored some through Vic Dog Rescue. I really like the way that it's set up so that people can "sponsor" an individual dog - it really hits home that you are making a difference to a life :laugh:

The dogs in rescue on dol are not safe!

They are all on death row, and many never make it out alive :(

The ones advertised on the home page most definitely are safe, they are with various rescue groups and are up for adoption.

The dogs in rescue on dol are not safe!

They are all on death row, and many never make it out alive :(

The ones advertised on the home page most definitely are safe, they are with various rescue groups and are up for adoption.

As Gayle said I was referring to the pure breed rescues listed on the main home page, not those in the rescue forum. These are the dogs the OP was asking about.

My most recent addition was a rescue, after saying for ages I'd never get a rescue dog. However mine is a pedigree Australian Shepherd and I've been told of her background and she came to me from her original breeder (to whom she'd been returned twice).

She is a delightful girl, we are all in love with her, and in two weeks she's gone from being a bit unsure of herself and hovering around the edge of the pack, to nosing on for pats and treats, greeting us all with banana-bend wiggles and confidence in play. It's fabulous to watch her now, it's like she knows she's home for good.

SecretKei - Ahh that's true, these do sound like the luckier ones. Gee it is really sad to hear about dogs on death row though. I guess the best way to keep them out is more awareness of how this happens and education for buyers to do their research in the breed and what its needs are.

Gaylek, that sounds LOVELY! Congrats on the addition and it sounds like she's VERY happy you came into her life.

Well now I know all that I know because of researching, I think I'll get a rescue dog as my next one when I buy a house in the next few years.

Mita - that's what I was considering too! BUT I won't be one of those people that bite off more than they can chew. So I'm not gonna be greedy and get a second one yet, otherwise one's probably gonna end up homeless again.

Labradork - is it the staff or the money that you are more low on? Or is it a bit of both? What impacts more in your (as in shelters) ability to look after a large amount of rescue dogs?

I know that I got our one but last rescue newfie ( Toby has sadly passed away), because someone posted him on DOL and he was jut in the quenbeyan Pound and spotted by her...........The Rescue people do an amazing amount of work and I just always hope that some dogs are lucky enough to get good new homes.

I will be taking on Rescue's in our household from now on. Three out of our present four dogs are Rescue Dogs, even though two of them are pedigree. Someone needs to give these guys a second chance

It's fabulous to watch her now, it's like she knows she's home for good.

:)

There's something really awesome about a dog, that's been given their second chance at life, coming good isn't there? I've watched the same transformation with my own rescue girl, and it's truly heartwarming.

Like Newfsie, I will always have rescue dogs now. There is just something so special about them. And I like knowing that I've done a small part to save the life of a good dog, and make room for more to be saved.

If only they could all be saved...

While taking on a Rescue is a noble cause be careful who you encourage to do so. Not everyone is equipped with the potential special needs that may come with some rescue Dogs. They need to have the time, space and a very secure yard for a rescue Siberian for example. Sometimes you can help Rescue by just looking after the dogs you have correctly and ensuring they don't end up a statistic too.

Edited by LizT

While taking on a Rescue is a noble cause be careful who you encourage to do so. Not everyone is equipped with the potential special needs that may come with some rescue Dogs. They need to have the time, space and a very secure yard for a rescue Siberian for example. Sometimes you can help Rescue by just looking after the dogs you have correctly and ensuring they don't end up a statistic too.

With breed specific rescue organisations, I think they vet the new owners very carefully before placing the dog. I know that my name went right to the top of quite a long list of possible homes because I already owned three dogs of that breed and am involved in a breed club and have access to all the knowledge and help I could need if it comes to that.

Guest Labradork
Labradork - is it the staff or the money that you are more low on? Or is it a bit of both? What impacts more in your (as in shelters) ability to look after a large amount of rescue dogs?

Theresadn88 - sorry, I meant personally... at home! I don't operate a shelter/kennel. Apologies for the confusion!

With breed specific rescue organisations, I think they vet the new owners very carefully before placing the dog. I know that my name went right to the top of quite a long list of possible homes because I already owned three dogs of that breed and am involved in a breed club and have access to all the knowledge and help I could need if it comes to that.

Yep that is so....And we get the troubled ones :shrug:.........I full agree though with LizT, but we have been doing this for many years and i am really into dog training and behaviour. And I have the back-up of a couple of awesome Trainers. And I have never been afraid to ask for help :eek:

Theresadn88 - sorry, I meant personally... at home! I don't operate a shelter/kennel. Apologies for the confusion!

haha oops right :shrug: my mistake

Yep that is so....And we get the troubled ones :shrug:.........I full agree though with LizT, but we have been doing this for many years and i am really into dog training and behaviour. And I have the back-up of a couple of awesome Trainers. And I have never been afraid to ask for help :eek:

Alas not everyone is as well equipped.

I have only ever owned rescue pets, the majority have been wonderful - my current dog & cat are divine- but I have also had a bad experience with a dog that ended up DA.

Sentiment, hard work & caring is sometimes not enough to save a dog.

Yep that is so....And we get the troubled ones :birthday:.........I full agree though with LizT, but we have been doing this for many years and i am really into dog training and behaviour. And I have the back-up of a couple of awesome Trainers. And I have never been afraid to ask for help :cheer:

Alas not everyone is as well equipped.

I have only ever owned rescue pets, the majority have been wonderful - my current dog & cat are divine- but I have also had a bad experience with a dog that ended up DA.

Sentiment, hard work & caring is sometimes not enough to save a dog.

Same happened to me. I cared for and eventually brought home a beautiful GSD who in all appearances got on very well with other dogs and was quite a social gentlemen....until after about a month he decided he really didnt want to share his new person and home with any other dogs and became quite agressive towards them. It was sad but he ended up going back with a new note saying "Only dog household required". :thumbsup:

I have only ever had rescues - the first was a delight with no problems at all except that she developed cancer and went to the bridge a year later. The second was an abused Koolie who was an absolute handful to begin with but 7 years later is an absolute delight, I will always have rescues.

Koolie Rescues main problems are lack of funds and lack of foster carers.