Stiff And Sore

kiesha09

A while ago I posted about my dog who had been limping on and off for about a month. He had been to the vets and they suggested he had sprained his elbow. That never really cleared up so I took him to the chiropractor where they couldn't find anything much apart form some issues with his neck so an adjustment was done. He started limping by the time we got home from the chiropractor.

But its getting worse and he now seems stiff and sore all over. The lameness now moves from one leg to another and he'll often growl and try to bite if I try and stretch out his legs. He struggles to get up in the mornings or after laying down for long periods of time, is often lethargic when he's particularly stiff, and seems to have good and bad days.

On bad days he won't jump on the couch or bed (which is particularly wierd so something is obviously wrong) and sometimes won't even get up for food. Today is a particularly bad day and when I got home from work he was stuck on the bed and couldn't get off (obviously won't be giving him access to the bed anymore).

He also struggles to sit and will now never sit in a tucked sit but his legs out to the side sitting on one hip. He also won't drop when asked but will only bow with his butt sticking up in the air.

He is only 5 but to be honest the symptoms seem exactly like arthritis. Could it be possible this early? He isn't overweight or unfit (in fact the chiropractor commented on how muscular he was).

I think its time for another trip to the vet :rofl:

I should also add that he had become really slow on walks too.

But it comes and goes. Some days he's as good as gold and others he's terrible.

For some reason I think the adrenalin of going to the vets/chriopractor/walks seems to take over because he never really shows the symptoms when we go so its hard for them to really see whats going on.

It's probably nothing of the sort, but your description of his symptoms and the lameness that shifts from leg to leg just rings a very faint bell in my mind for immune-mediated polyarthritis.

It's probably not and I'm in no way a vet, and I don't want to spook you, but when you take him back to the vet maybe just ask that they rule it out.

Poor thing definitely sounds like he is in a bit of pain. It could be an immune mediated arthritis which can occur at any age, or may have been triggered by earlier injury but it sounds like it is all over soreness?

Definitely get checked out and discuss what you can do with your vet, pain relief sounds needed for now and perhaps you will always need to have some on hand for the particular bad days but then you can also try diet changes and perhaps the cartrophen injections.

I had a boy with immune mediated polyarthritis and there saw some things similar to what you described. Is there any swelling or warmth in the joints?

Although he is only 5, it is possible that it is arthritis.

I'd say vets visit with full bloods to be taken.

My girl who's 4 has Canine Spondylitis her symtoms sound very similar to what your discribing. My vet thought she'd sprained her knee at first, then arthritis, it was only after she had xrays the vet realised it was spondylitis.

Thanks everyone for the replies and don't worry you haven't spooked me. It's just good to know different things with similar symptoms so I can go into the vet informed and ask them to check these things out.

After doing some more research on some of the things you guys had suggested the symptoms do all sound very similar. So it will be off to the vet to see what he says. Fingers crossed it turns out to be none of these things!

Edited by kiesha09

Hmm my Dobe bitch came up lame in her left front leg on two seperate occassions then started not wanting to jump going in a certain direction. I rested her and was about to start training her again when I went to let her out to the toilet one morning and her back end didn't work. She got xrayed and had spondylosis affecting 5 verterbrae. After treatment and changes to exercise and no jumping she did very well and ended up dieing from something unrelated at 8 and a half.

I hope it is something simple and easily fixed

Well we are back off to the vet on Friday afternoon so we'll see how we go from there. The last two days have been pretty bad for him and he's been quite stiff and sore in his back legs. Last night I gave him an anti-inflammatory which I had left over from when he first started displaying symptoms. They didn't work then at all but this morning he seemed a bit better. Could either be coincidence and today is a better day for him or they worked. We also didn't do any exercise yesterday so maybe that had an impact (although I normally notice he's better after a bit of exercise but who knows.)

I haven't been able to see or feel any warmth or swelling around his joints so hopefully thats a good sign.

I'll update further once I know more.

If it is spondylisis then the anti-inflammatorys will definalty help, my girl (Madeline) gets them if she's having a bad day. Exercise is recommended to help keep the bones from fusing too quickly. I find Madeline is always stiffer the next day if she doesn't get her exercise.

Good luck at the vets

Poor pupper. Following on from what you said about him suddenly seeming better when he goes to the vet (like humans and the dentist :) ) - can you do a bit of videoing of the stifness etc you're seeing at hoje - maybe on your phone or ipod or something - then you can show the vet - in case the boy is all perky when you go.

And best wishes toyou both.

We just got home from the vet who thinks my boy has two separate issues. It appears like he has some tendon damage to his right shoulder and looks like he may have done a cruciate in his right back leg. He's going in for X-rays and blood work on Wednesday to rule out anything else more sinister. For now the poor boy is on complete bed rest including on leash toileting ( he's going to love that!). He's back on the anti-inflame for now too.

Poor darling is still a bit miserable!

Well Chip had X-rays today and all looks ok on that front and she didn't find anything sinister. As for his cruciate well she thinks its quite stable once she manipulated it when he was under anasthetic and completely relaxed. Therefore she's concluded that he must have done some soft tissue damage as his hock is actually fairly swollen.

She also mentioned that given his behaviour this morning he looks like he is healing up quite nicely from the crate rest (He is now officially nuts and I'm sure he exploded with enthusiasm for everything when they examined him so not sure if I would go off his current horrible behaviour).

So looks like its going to be a few more weeks of crate rest (oh help me god!) and following that he will be allowed to roam around the house and have 5 minutes on leash walks for a few more weeks after that before we go back and see what the verdict is.

• 5 weeks later...

This is an old thread but thought I would update it anyway as some of you were on the money!

After 3 months of being pocked and prodded we finally have a diagnoses. Not exactly a good one but still a diagnosis all the same.

Chip has been diagnosed with inflammatory polyarthropothy which is an auto-immune disease. It will be a matter of managing this for the rest of his life as there is no cure :laugh: Poor little man!