Chew Toys For A Staffy...

nessa704

It appears my 7 month old Staffy's jaw strength has just come in! Chew toys that she's had practically her whole life are goners and any new ones we buy literally last a matter of minutes :thumbsup:

HELP! Does anyone have any recommendations on chew toys that can out survive as Staffy's chewing interest?? (We do have a black kong which is great but once the food is gone, she loses interest)

I used to hang a tire from a tree for my old boy, he must have had it for a few years & didn't manage to get through it.

Also he had & loved one of those huge boomer balls, it's not a chew toy, but is something they can play with & not break (since they can't get their jaws around it!)

Go to a marine shop, buy however many metres of natural fibre rope you want and knot your own ropes toys.

You're lucky you still have your black kong, but put zero money on you having it for much longer :thumbsup:

Tyres without wire in - so wheelbarrow or bike tyres,

Ours are particularly fond of palm tree fronds but I wouldn't say they were indestructable.

Branches and fence posts (preferably not the ones holding the fence up) are favourites too.

Be aware that if you have a ball obsessed dog, those big balls they can chase but not get their teeth around can cause problems with them chasing them all day and rubbing their noses raw/bleeding and possibly risking heat exhaustion - nothing like a Stafford that can't get/wreak what it wants to!

Edited by Sandra777

Buy the home alone toy - best thing we ever did for our bored pup. In the end we would put a special treat in the handle so he took ages jumping up to get them out. To watch them suddenly catch on - if I tug this, the ball bounces and food comes out, is great for your video camera!

Toys still surviving today (16month old SBT)

home alone (aussie dog)

staffy ball (aussie dog)

kong x2 one with a rope in it so we can chuck it

Giant sized rope tug

and suprisingly two puppy sized rope tugs, but we don't play with these any more as his teeth are way too close to our hands these days! He seems to enjoy lying on his back mouthing them, wriggling around and kicking his feet in the air. :rofl:

We have two supervision only toys as they would be in tiny peices otherwise

kong frisbee

chuckit with rubber balls

our yard it littered with half chewed plastic or rubber items: plant pots, buckets, bottles, dripper system, hose etc..etc..) He seems to find chewing plasic and rubber endlessly entertaining :rofl:

He seems to enjoy lying on his back mouthing them, wriggling around and kicking his feet in the air. :rofl:

our yard it littered with half chewed plastic or rubber items: plant pots, buckets, bottles, dripper system, hose etc..etc..) He seems to find chewing plasic and rubber endlessly entertaining :rofl:

Recently I noticed my boy lying on his back as you described above. He had a supposedly long-lasting edible chew-thing in his mouth, on his back on his couch. Had to laugh. He was doing the squirm thing too.

And yep, all around our yard are plastic containers the kids have left outside accidently, or half-chewed toys. He's even got into my peg basket...caught him happily chewing on the plastic ones :rofl:

I buy the Orka which keeps my Staffies entertained for a couple of months. It does break up a bit but usually in small chunks.

I have heard that Huck and Hurley are Staffy proof but I havent tried them, although I dont think anything is Staffy proof.

Rope toys for mine are useless, they pick at the same spot until they unravel it, even with the biggest ropies it is usually an hour or two before they are destroyed.

I bought the Staffy Ball but they had no interest in it at all.

Hello everyone long time reader first time poster.

I've trialed many toys for my 7 month old staffy and can recommend the following:

- Aussie Dog Staffy Ball. They can't sink their teeth into it due to the hard plastic material and it has a small rattle inside which drives them nuts as they roll it around. I wouldn't recommend it for indoor use though as it has made a small dent on my fridge when Tyson rolled the ball into it. I only let this ball out of the cupboard for short periods to prevent over exhaustion.

- Most large rubber toys by JW Pet Company. The rubber is very durable, more than the black kong and my staff has only managed to put a few puncture holes into it after a month of use. The squeaker can be annoying but keeps him interested.

My dog loves Palm tree fronds too! Some of my trunks are totally bare at the base lol.

Cheers,

Eric