Help! Puppy Nearly Choked On Chicken Wing

Kobi'sDaisy

My 10 week old Vizsla has been eating chicken necks and wings for the first few weeks absolutely fine (we are trying to feed 50% raw). When he came from the breeder she let us know he was a slow eater and often takes him a while to finish his food - he was the smallest of the litter. He's been eating really well so far but tonight he barely chewed the wing and started to choke! As i was supervising him i noticed straight away and tried to assist but he got it down in the end after many weird noises and actions.

We have been cutting the wings in half so he can actually chew them does this mean there too small already? It usually takes him 10min to finish them tonight it was like 1min! We are feeding the recommended food amount of kibble and wings/necks could it be he is still very hungry? Are they now too small for him?

Otherwise any tips on getting him to eat slower? I assisted with the second half (scared out of my mind it would happen again) but thought it might have been a fluke) and helped him tear it into smaller pieces just not too sure what to do?!

Any tips? Experiences?

thanks!!!!!

Feed the wings whole. If he's getting them down too quickly go to drumsticks or carcasses.

Cutting them up makes them easier to swallow too quickly. They need to have to chew them up.

I suggest you give him the wing and give him some distance. Hovering can make dogs anxious about food sometimes.

Unless you can see his spine and all his ribs, he's getting enough food. When he starts to get too ribby, up the amount.

Edited by poodlefan

Always supervise when feeding wings or necks for the 1st 6 months.

I used to feed my small dogs & cats raw wings & necks for their teeth but now only feed wings. I had an adult cat get a piece of neck bone stuck at 1am, it was horrendous & so scary, she was dribbling & going feral & ballistic. Getting ready to drive to emergency vet in the middle of the night when she dislodged it herself just before I put her in the carry cage.

They can choke & get anything stuck, in theory so just watch at the baby stage.

Thanks for the reply's will try a whole one today - first time we tried a whole one he just didn't seem to know what to do with it maybe as he had no real experience with bones. I was supervising on advice from most places i have read and he has never seemed to minded my presence but might be a beginning behaviour so will back off a little but still want to be around in case it happens again.

Will beef bones be too hard for a puppy's teeth? Picked some up at the butcher for variation. Don't want to give up as he really enjoys raw (of course) and is always looking around for more when he's finished!

Otherwise any tips on getting him to take his time more with food or do i need not be too concerned?

My friend's dog (shihtzu) actually died last year by choking on a piece of chicken neck, he cut them small for his dog but for some reason on this day, the dog decided to take it down whole. My poor friend has been so distraught since then, he did the best he could and finally managed to get the piece out with tweezers and gave his dog mouth to mouth but it was too late.

I stopped feeding chicken necks to mine at this point but I'd always recommend supervising your dog when you feed them, wings or bones etc and knowing what to do shoudl they begin to choke.