Plastic/timber Dog Kennels

Sam the man

Sometime soon we will have to buy a kennel for our soon to be adopted dog Charlie. I have seen both plastic and timber kennels in town. Any better than the other or is just personal choice? :)

Our dogs don't have kennels but we helped a friend make a brilliant kennel for their farm dog. We bought an old whole wine barrel for $60 and cut a hole out of the end of it to make a neat entrance then put a big soft mat in there. We then made up something for it so it wouldn't roll over, similar to what out little indoor port barrel sits on. It has been varnished and has his name above the entrance and everyone comments on how smart it looks. It is solid and doesn't get too hot in there, and best of all their dog Bob loves it :laugh: I reckon we should patent the idea :idea:

Most plastic gives off fumes which some dogs don't like and I don't like. I wouldn't like to live in a plastic box.

However a wood kennel must not be made of "treated pine" or wood that's been treated for termites - because the fumes off that are toxic too.

I've been "building" a kennel for my dog for ages, but somehow have failed to finish it. Sigh.

I like the wine barrel idea - although the smell of wine in a used one can be pretty strong for a long time.

Hi,

I would definitelly go timber - treated timber that is - plastic won't hold the cold out and will get very hot in summer. We got our dog a beautiful oversize kennell with all the trimmings - window and a porch... he never uses it! So don't go spending a fortune expecially if you are not going to have an outside only pet. Just my experience though I'm sure if my dog was outside only he would use his kennel... maybe...

Timber - insulating properties, easier to repair if it gets chewed.

We've had a few over the years but they rarely use them as they're usually inside with us.

These ones are great as they have a lift out floor for easy cleaning, the flat roof has non skid surface for those dogs who like to lie on the roof and it has a hinge to hold it up. As the door is offset, it gives them more protection from the elements.

DSC05205.jpg

Got this one so they could all fit into it (they prefer to sleep together). We put braked castors on it so it's a cinch to move around. Comes in raw timber so you can paint/ stain it whatever colour you like. The roof slides forward to provide a verandah but you would need to be able to secure it to the body as it can come off in strong winds. You can slide the roof right back for access to the inside. Made the sign myself.

IMAG0094.jpg

Edited by Dxenion

Don't go plastic, if need be, make a wooden kennel from pallets. Whatever you do, make sure you get something insulated, so that rules out the Plastic ones, even raw timber is better insulation than plastic.

I did buy a plastic kennel for my cats a few years back, I now only have one cat thanks to the plastic kennel. There were lots of blankets, and she had he sister for extra warmth, but she was elderly, and at the time a plastic kennel was all I could afford, we moved to Sydney and financially were really in a hole. The plastic wasn't even adequate for a mild Sydney Winter, while the old timber hutch we had in below freezing Bathurst had protected the cats from minus 8 temps, I wish it hadn't fallen apart. I still feel so bad for her, the vet said it was exposure. I should have grabbed some old pallets and made something myself, even if it looked horrible.

About 13yrs ago I bought a Colourbond/Insulated kennel from a bloke who made them in his backyard. It is a cream colour, very sturdy & large enough for 2 dogs (one dog used it though) it has a normal "house" roof & is probably an inch or 2 off the ground. It still looks like brand new today & is still used by my other dogs.

I highly recommend these if you can find a good quality one or someone who makes them on the side. If I'm right this one cost $180 back then but it would probably be more now. Anyway if I ever needed to buy one again I would go for one like this but with the way this one's going I may never have to! :laugh:

Sam already has a kennel outside for daytime use but want one for Charlie for the same purpose . It doesn't have to be anything flash just somewhere he can shelter especially if it starts raining and I'm in town. I want to get something smaller than Sam's if I can.

Thanks for all the replies :laugh::love:

About 13yrs ago I bought a Colourbond/Insulated kennel from a bloke who made them in his backyard. It is a cream colour, very sturdy & large enough for 2 dogs (one dog used it though) it has a normal "house" roof & is probably an inch or 2 off the ground. It still looks like brand new today & is still used by my other dogs.

I highly recommend these if you can find a good quality one or someone who makes them on the side. If I'm right this one cost $180 back then but it would probably be more now. Anyway if I ever needed to buy one again I would go for one like this but with the way this one's going I may never have to! :)

May we have a photo please? It sounds like a great kennel.

I highly recommend these if you can find a good quality one or someone who makes them on the side. If I'm right this one cost $180 back then but it would probably be more now. Anyway if I ever needed to buy one again I would go for one like this but with the way this one's going I may never have to! :laugh:

May we have a photo please? It sounds like a great kennel.

My camera is broken, but will try to borrow one & get some pics up as soon as I can :love:

Good thread, this is a question for me at the moment. If the OP doesn't mind, can I ask for those of you with multiple dogs, do they tend to want to share their kennels or prefer one each? I'm not sure if I get another or just get one big one?

Also I have one of those kennels in the first photo and I have a split opinion of it. I love the offset door, the removable floor and the roof. However I its only two years old and both hinges have snapped off and nope the dog didn't bite them off. The wood is also exceptionally soft so I have one corner chewed off exposing nasty nails (which I have to recover regularly with padded protection) and many of the corner inside have been 'reduced', or should I say stripped. Same kennel in hardwood would be excellent.

Check out the recycling center at the rubbish tips, the best kennel we have had over the yrs was made from a fruit pallet and cost only $10, it was huge and lasted a good 10 + yrs. I also bought a medium metal drum kennel with metal roof for $15. Last yr I bought 3 huge plastic kennels for my Rotties for their runs and are very well protected from the elements. They have metal frame beds in summer and the kennels are stored in the shed until they need them. There is a plastic kennel down the side of the house for the pugs and one in the garden bed.

Plastic kennels are fine as long as they are protected from the weather and if your after a wooden kennel look around for the heavier better made kennels. I was going to get a wooden kennel for my male Rottie when he came back home because he was an outside dog, but due to the hassle of delivery and extra expense at the time I opted for the plastic kennel. I then bought the other 2 heavily reduced due to a small crack in the rear of the lid, once set up you would never know. All matching and look great and protected from the weather.

All my dogs sleep inside at night (including the male since he is now house trained) and the kennels are only used during the day.

Check out the recycling places and papers if your just after a cheap kennel, plastic is fine as long as it is protected from the weather - then again I prefer all kennels to be placed in protected positions and not just in the open. We have hard rubbish in our area now and there is always kennels being thrown out - keep an eye out you might be lucky.

Good thread, this is a question for me at the moment. If the OP doesn't mind, can I ask for those of you with multiple dogs, do they tend to want to share their kennels or prefer one each? I'm not sure if I get another or just get one big one?

Also I have one of those kennels in the first photo and I have a split opinion of it. I love the offset door, the removable floor and the roof. However I its only two years old and both hinges have snapped off and nope the dog didn't bite them off. The wood is also exceptionally soft so I have one corner chewed off exposing nasty nails (which I have to recover regularly with padded protection) and many of the corner inside have been 'reduced', or should I say stripped. Same kennel in hardwood would be excellent.

We have two of the extra large plastic kennels on our covered deck. My three Cockers prefer to sleep all together in the one kennel. There is only just enough room. I've tried to gently encourage the six month old pup into the empty one but he won't have a bar of it, much prefers to curl up with his mum and aunt/ :laugh:

All our timber kennels have been eaten. Some lasted longer than others but in the end, they all fall apart. We need to buy an insulated colourbond one next time, so it lasts a bit longer. Though if I can get my hands on a small shed, that we can line, that is also an option.

The ones in the first photo are made of very soft wood and don't stand up to GSD puppy teeth. We also found that if constantly exposed to damp weather, they can get mouldy on the walls. As the walls are in a log cabin style (ie not a flat surface), there are more nooks and crannies for the mould to gather in. I wouldn't use a Karcher or similar to clean it as the cedar colouring comes off under pressure. They are a great looking cabin available in various sizes but I'd recommend them for a dog that doesn't chew and that that you locate the kennel under the patio.

We ended up selling them because our lot (on the rare occasion they were outside) all tried to fit into the one kennel, leaving the others empty. To see a tail, front paw, hind leg and head of a dog hanging out the door (and all of them were parts of different dogs) reminded me of a clown act where 15 of them get into a mini! Still don't know how the dogs managed it and it can't have been comfortable.

That's why we bought the second one which they can all fit into easily but never use .........