Macro Photo's

Frodo's mum

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* stamps both feet * I wanna Bee to shoot.....

They have more sense this week, it is just too damned cold and windy for them to be out and about unless they are desperate. The few at my Nashi pear were as cranky as, and usually the bees around here are so placid.

_DSC4452A.jpg

When the flowering euc on the back 'lawn' was bringing them in thousands, I was some worried about the dogs and ponies being bitten, but it was all sweetness and light. Except some dirty temper just between the gangs from some different hives. They can pick a stranger right away, and have some fierce fights.

_DSC2058A.jpg

Don't need these, I could mail you some tlc - today was calm, first non-gale-force-wind day for ages.

This lot must have been waiting for the first nice sunny still day to swarm. Might account for some of the aggro in the pear blossom.

90 Tamron macro lens, and no I was not going any closer, they are not happy campers.

_DSC4562A.jpg

I'll still send you some tlc. I just weakened, I called a collector but it was obvious it was their intention to destroy the swarm rather than keep or re-home.

So I delved in the store shed and found a useable smoker, so just need to buy a hive, and a bit of safety gear, not much, yet all-up near $100 so not real happy.

It will be nice to have a hive started though.

The good bit: I found someone who is running a bee-keeping seminar locally in a couple of weeks, so can go along and get some refresher info on management, rego etc, and link up with small-time keepers who get their honey extraction done at a co-op so no need to invest in more 'stuff''. And need to find a spot to put them the furtherest from potential annoyance from animals. And work out how the hell to get them off the split fence and into box, wish me luck.

Don't need these, I could mail you some tlc - today was calm, first non-gale-force-wind day for ages.

This lot must have been waiting for the first nice sunny still day to swarm. Might account for some of the aggro in the pear blossom.

90 Tamron macro lens, and no I was not going any closer, they are not happy campers.

_DSC4562A.jpg

:eek: PC, please be careful, I got chased by bees one day when we were tracking they had a hive inside a big humpy thing and my partner layed my dogs article to be tracked right under it, unbeknown to me we tracked it (well the dog did :laugh: ) and on returning to base I could hear this noise and then felt stinging and there was a swarm overhead, some were on my arms, I just about had a heart attack! It was very scarey!

Lovely spider shots tlc, sorry no bees to send.

Gapvic it took all b/y day to finally get the hive and face veil etc, and had to queue at the bank and post office forever, and when I got home the swarm had moved on. Just saw the last of them zoom off for the horizon. Quite disappointed, but at least I've got all the "stuff" now to go on with.

And found out about registration needs and local bee keepers and clubs, co-op use honey extractors and so on, all good.

Didn't get to Lavandula today - urgent vet call for a crook pony (all okay now) so might try again tomorrow if OH not too caught up with Bathhurst.

Bees aren't difficult, you won't get stung if you wear the right things if handling the hive. Come up to Marong (just near Bendigo) next Sunday and have a look at the information field day/seminar, will be some good demonstrations of bee handling and basic management and so on for people just thinking about starting off.

:eek: That first one is amazing! Absolutley love the second one too! how did you go with getting them both in focus on the move did you use servo? or just one shot? I havent tried any macro stuff thats been on the move, Ive only tried stationary stuff. But I guess its like anything else if the camera can ficus on it AI servo should still apply? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? :laugh: