Macro Photo's

Frodo's mum

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping to get a Nikon 40 mm af-s dx micro lens. Have a 55-200 lens at the moment. While I love the zoom I've been frustrated at not being able to take shots of things nearby.

Edited by Cat

I have the Tamron 60mm tlc, it's dx only. The Tamron 90mm is full frame and seems to get good reviews.

I love that pic too CC, it would look terrific up on the wall! :thumbsup:

I just read something interesting about the Tamron 60mm and the 90mm, with the 90 you can have a working distance of around 11cm from the subject and With the 60 it's 10cm, it's only a tiny. Difference because the workings of the 90mm are well inside the spcamera whereas the 60mm are right at the tip of the lens. The 60mm has some excellent reviews, I'm leaning more and more towards it. All the review say Even though it was made for crops it can go on a full frame.

1345812725[/url]' post='5939155']
1345811520[/url]' post='5939137']

Hoping to get a Nikon 40 mm af-s dx micro lens. Have a 50-200 lens at the moment. While I love the zoom I've been frustrated at not being able to take shots of things nearby.

You might want to go in to a store and try that lens out before you buy it. 40mm means you will have to be incredibly close to what you're shooting for macro work. Even with the 105mm I'm only a few inches from things and the shorter the focal length the closer you have to be to fill the frame. You may find you have to be too close to the subject and won't be able to capture bugs and bees and butterflies as it will scare them in to moving away.

Thanks. Maybe I will save up for a better one and just get a portrait lens in the meantime.

A cool little video came up in my newsfeed on facebook on some of the basics of macro photography, including using a ring flash. I thought those of you who are new like me to thinking about macro photography might get something out of it. :)

http://www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-taking-photos/246533-how-to-macro-photography-equipment-lighting-tips-a-more-with-david-maynard

Thanks Snook, that was a cool little video :) He's so right about your own backyard - it's amazing what's there when you start looking! I don't have a proper flash, maybe the next investment. Occasionally I have tried my on board flash, but with some kitchen towel over the end of it held in place with an elastic band, that helps diffuse it a bit :)

Well I was at HN today getting a new bed and I said to my OH Mmmm might just pop into the camera section for a sticky, :laugh: he said yea sure!! So off we went and I discovered another contender for my macro, the 105mm Sigma, just googling now to read a few reviews, I had a play its nice!

Geez thats really gone by the wayside, I really still want it. :laugh: My OH says I have to decide if I get a macro then I should just get the elcheapo 70 - 300 for a bit extra reach for shooting the whales etc, I had a play with the Tamron 70 - 300 today on the 7D and for a cheap lens the shots looked quite ok on the camera. Our HN don't/won't sell L lenses which sucks, so I have to save up. The 40 Months interest free is appealing at the moment! I'm still leaning towards the Tamron 60mm Macro at this stage.

Edited by tlc

Only for the luxury of having the lens and time to pay it off other wise it might take me 5 years to save for it. :laugh: I love macro so I think I would get the use out of the lens, I actually always thought that reasonable macro lenses were super mega expensive so I never looked into getting one in the past.

really I would just like one of everything! :laugh: In a perfect world right now I would have one of THESE and one of THESE Maybe one day! :laugh:

Edited by tlc

Well after a lot of googling I am now leaning toward the Sigma 105mm or the canon 100mm. I just checked Camera Pro and Harvey Norman will do the sigma for $26 less than them, I thought that was ok. I'm not sure I would spend that much for a lens from DWI or eGlobal, don't even know why really I guess just piece of mind that I have got the option to take it back if anything should be wrong with it without the hassle of sending it back. Is there any other comparable places in OZ for buying lenses? Even Teds has the Sigma for $250 more.

Thats why I was suprised the Sigma 105mm Macro is $976 HERE and the guy at Harvey Norman said he would do that lens for $950 even with interest free. Maybe he made a mistake? But if not its a good price yea? Now I only need to decide if I want to go with the Sigma or the Canon. I didn't get a price on the Canon.

A cool little video came up in my newsfeed on facebook on some of the basics of macro photography, including using a ring flash. I thought those of you who are new like me to thinking about macro photography might get something out of it. :)

http://www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-taking-photos/246533-how-to-macro-photography-equipment-lighting-tips-a-more-with-david-maynard

I only just spotted this video, thanks for posting the link, it was great. I can imagine once you start shooting macro things that you never thought about shooting before will become so much more appealing to shoot.

Snook did you say your ring flash doesn't connect to an external flash? If not how does it work? It was cool how that guy in the video was holding the ring flash behind the leaf to get a different effect.

Edited by tlc

Ok that makes sense, I guess a flash is needed in a lot of situations especially shooting bugs in and around trees as there would be lots of shadows.

Theres some interesting shots HERE I had to laugh when I seen the shot of the fire hydrant tap as I took a couple of shots of the industrial fire hydrant taps at the gardens I was at the other day and thought poeple would think I was mad if they seen me shooting this! :rofl: Seems I'm not so crazy!!

Great idea, look forward to seeing what you come up with. I am so super excited to be getting a macro lens I am nearly busting out of my skin, I've definatley decided 100 or 105 just need to narrow it down to 1. :laugh:

This was the hydrant, not technically macro but you know what I mean, it caught my eye because it was so red.

file-106.jpg

I like the Sigmas too, - we bought the Sigma 150 Macro so I could do spiders and such without getting too close, that was good advice I took for once.

Then when we got the Sony A55s I bought a Tamron 90 macro, they generally get good reviews. (It gives me as good a result as the Sigma does on the Nikon).

There's always something else on the wish list, I'm looking at doing more around landscape now, and really need a good wider lens because nothing I have is quite what I think I want.

You are so right there is ways something else on the wish list with photography!

I ended up ordering the Canon 100mm Macro, it was cheaper than the Sigma and it's got good reviews, so hopefully if it's I stock at Canon I'll have it by the end of the week!