What To Do?

Snoopy21

My neighbour has installed an ultrasonic pest control device on our adjoining fence. Obviously the motion sensor points in the other direction, but it goes off frequently during the day and night. My dog is understandably quite agitated by the noise and is barking whenever the noise occurs. The dogs on his other side also bark. I have asked him to turn it down, which he says he has done (my kids can still hear it though, so I'm not sure?) but the Willow still reacts. Is it OK to use these devices in suburban neighbourhoods? What will happen if I get a barking complaint because of his device? Is it painful to the dog, or just annoying? I don't want Willow to get into the habit of barking at every sound.

i agree with molasseslass.

call your council and not necessarily complain but mention the the neighbour has installed the device, and that you've asked him to turn it down but it hasn't solved the fact that your dog and the other neighbour's dogs bark at it and it distresses them. just be honest and say that your own dog's barking is frustrating you, that you are trying to deal with the situation but that you are worried for your other dog-free neighbours having to put up with the noise nd frustration.

it sounds like an untenable situation and that someone has to give. calling the council and bringing it to their attention hopefully means that it won't be you who is the one to 'give' so to speak...

You could also subtly find the brand name of the device (seeing it is on a fence I am presuming you can see it) and call the manufacturers to find out more about it. Asking questions like whether the device is known to upset other animals in the proximity etc. You never know ...... perhaps the manufacturer will advise the device is being operated incorrectly. You would then be able to explain to your neighbour the adjustments to the running of the device that are necessary and maybe this will help to resolve the problem for everyone concerned.